Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The lower "TCO" on the first 100k miles is also true. It's not helped by vehicle designers that make the job of a fluid and filter change difficult (and thus expensive); I own a GM product where this is the case as they stuck the shift cable bracket bolts on TOP of the gearbox and your only options to remove the pan are to either remove that bracket or remove the exhaust cross-over pipe, which is far more trouble since the bolts holding that on at the headers are nearly-always near impossible to remove without destroying them or the studs due to the extreme heat cycling involved at that location. To add insult to injury to get to the bracket bolts you have to drop the front driveshaft. This turns what should be a one-hour job into a two+ hour one for absolutely no reason whatsoever; the bracket is in such a location that mounting it from the transmission pan bolts instead would have prevented this intentional "screw you" from GM.

BTW there is another reason on many ATXs to do this service regularly -- the valve body on many designs has a gasket that compresses with time. This in turn causes the bolts holding it on to not be at proper torque. These typically are threaded into aluminum and are low-torque but precision fasteners in terms of torque requirements. I frequently find them loose and that can cause fluid bypass, out-of-spec (low) line pressure and ultimately result in a catastrophic failure as well. If you never take the pan off you'll never detect or correct this condition with very expensive consequences.
My wife's 2007 MDX has a AT filter that is supposedly a lifetime part. That filter is removed from INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING.... Trans has to be removed from the vehicle to change the filter..... Idk why manufacturers do things like that.

Have you seen or heard of that type of valve body issues with these 3rd gen M6s?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
My wife's 2007 MDX has a AT filter that is supposedly a lifetime part. That filter is removed from INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING.... Trans has to be removed from the vehicle to change the filter..... Idk why manufacturers do things like that.

Have you seen or heard of that type of valve body issues with these 3rd gen M6s?
I've yet to change fluid on a 3G Mazda ATX (mine is a MTX, so..... no valve body, obviously :wink2:)

But almost without exception every ATX I've had the pan off on over the last 30 years that has more than 50k miles on it and has valve body bolts accessible, whether foreign or domestic, has had several of them under the factory torque spec. Some not by a lot, but under is under, and it's a fair bet that exactly none of them were under spec when they left the factory, so.... yeah, not so good. It's one of those "takes 5 minutes" things to check and correct if it is, and if you don't and get bit by it you're going to be buying a transmission, since that sort of failure is almost-always going to happen after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Wow we both have similar car's, 07 MDX for wife and 14 GT for me lol. I recently did a drain and fill for the Mazda also and haven't touch the MDX as far as it's trans fluid even though it should get it check out. Hope to enjoy my car to those miles without problems :grin2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow we both have similar car's, 07 MDX for wife and 14 GT for me lol. I recently did a drain and fill for the Mazda also and haven't touch the MDX as far as it's trans fluid even though it should get it check out. Hope to enjoy my car to those miles without problems :grin2:
That is pretty awesome haha! Stay on top of the MDX as well, ours has 210k on it. I do the trans fluid drain and fill 3x every 30k. The Honda 5AT units will run for a long time if you treat them right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beyond enlightening to know the potential for bs is very low for the lifetime of these cars well past 100k miles.

If I knew this when buying my 2016 6 touring almost 2 years ago, I definitely would've hesitated less on a 2014-2015 GT (WITHOUT IeLoop) if I found one at the right price at the time. But two things stopped me from buying in that range:

this is my first ever rodeo with the brand and anyone with basic common sense going in blindly would know ANY "all-new, totally and completely redesigned" model years are likely to be the most problematic... but word is it's pretty much equal to Toyota's of that same era.
The 2014-15s' infotainment system before the 2016 refresh seemed to not be all that responsive compared to the 2016-present units. I'm talking simply hitting the |<</>>| buttons on the steering wheel was more sluggish... I don't remember now but then, I was like either the 2016 6 or the 14-16 3's after test driving a couple of these...
Oh, I'm at about 72k miles (and 27 states) as I type btw!!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts