Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just traded in my 00 Mustang GT for am 07 speed6.

I used to hang out on a mustang forum all the time and learned a lot so here I am.

The car is a silver 07 with all options I believe. 32k miles CPO. I got them down to $21k with the 7 year b2b warranty.

Anyway, I really like the car. Just a few questions...

The morons at the dealership forgot to tell me when I bought the car that they had to put a new fuel pump in it which I had done today (free of charge). Is this common on these cars at only 30k miles?

Where is the power band in a stock ms6? I don't seem to make much outside of 2.5-5k.

I've never owned a turbo car before, and it seems like acceleration is slightly jerky/hesitant near WOT. Not extremely noticeable but I can feel it. Is that normal?

Anything else I should know or check out?

thanks. Here's a pic from the dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
welcome

power band is from about 2k-5k in these cars, and it shouldnt be jerky at all, it could just be you are used too the more linear power of the mustang

what fuel pump did they replace? you have two, a low pressure one in the tank (i have never heard of one failing) and a high pressure one that is power off of the cam ( afew of them have failed but most were not installed right or modded with poorly designed parts)

i hope you enjoy the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome

power band is from about 2k-5k in these cars, and it shouldnt be jerky at all, it could just be you are used too the more linear power of the mustang

what fuel pump did they replace? you have two, a low pressure one in the tank (i have never heard of one failing) and a high pressure one that is power off of the cam ( afew of them have failed but most were not installed right or modded with poorly designed parts)

i hope you enjoy the car
They replaced the high pressure one.

hmmm... I think jerky is the wrong word. Just slightly hesitant. Maybe something to do with the 89 octane the dealer filled it up with :confused:

I see now that 93 is recommended. Idiots.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
They replaced the high pressure one.

hmmm... I think jerky is the wrong word. Just slightly hesitant. Maybe something to do with the 89 octane the dealer filled it up with :confused:

I see now that 93 is recommended. Idiots.
Anything less than 91 and this car will hate you. Also, you may experience a stutter at WOT when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. That, sadly, is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow thats crazy!
I love carmax... i recommend them to everyone. They have high standards to check the cars they sell... and also you can transfer cars. Great prices too!

I got a 06' with 30k miles
Pearl/exterior Black leather/interior
grand touring package
60k/miles 5/yr warranty bumper to bumper
$50 deductible for anything that needs fixxing
Transfered from NC to Florida @$199

Out the door for $21,965

They dont haggle you and are straight up. And the cars are in great condition. I have bought too many at dealer that buy them at auctions and resell them with problems.
Overall carmax is very professional and thorough

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man those prices seem a bit steep. I picked up an 06 wwp ms6 w/40k miles for 15500. Anyways welcome and enjoy the car! They're a blast and if you get the mod itch it doesnt go away even w/cream. I'm about a couple grand in and still see myself dropping way more into it!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your MS6! Good taste too with the wwp GT ;)

Man those prices seem a bit steep. I picked up an 06 wwp ms6 w/40k miles for 15500.
Do you have a GT for that price? If so, it was a steal!

Anyways welcome and enjoy the car! They're a blast and if you get the mod itch it doesnt go away even w/cream. I'm about a couple grand in and still see myself dropping way more into it!
Agreed! But worth every cent :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow thats crazy!
I love carmax... i recommend them to everyone. They have high standards to check the cars they sell... and also you can transfer cars. Great prices too!

Out the door for $21,965
You couldn't be more wrong about Carmax. They have great marketing, and prey on people like you who think it's cool that there's "no haggling".

They have a large and diverse selection of vehicles, but there's nothing special about the quality of cars they take in trade or buy at auction. They pay lower to the trade-in customer than they do at auctions because the guy in their little booth who is desperate has usually done ZERO homework on the current auction market and just assumes they're getting a good deal, when in fact, it's usually 10%-15% less than a trade-in at a branded dealership. Carmax calculates their overhead and charges a standard rate above that per vehicle based on vehicle type, location, time of year, etc...

There's nothing different about Carmax vehicles vs. a regular branded dealerships used lot, and their "rigorous inspection process" or whatever is a complete joke. Their warranty is through a 3rd party and is a complete scam. Carmax is a ripoff, do not buy from them.

To the OP, that's a HUGE warranty for this car. Is it covered through Mazda or a 3rd party negotiated into the contract. Ie, are you going to have to convince the sales manager at the dealership to pay, or some guy on the phone in Cleveland who claims your tint is the reason the car isn't making boost anymore?

The jerkiness and hesitation is probably due to the crap gas and the ECU crushing the timing to avoid knock. This car doesn't have the smoothest drivetrain out there... you'll read some more and find out the usualy problems. Jerkiness could also be cause by improper spark plug gap, which is a huge problem from the factory... these cars came with a huge gap and current theory is to reduce the gap. Read up.

And yes, at about 5500rpm, the drive-by-wire throttle plate closes dramatically no matter how far the pedal is pressed, the ECU pulls timing and dumps in fuel. The car makes less power at redline than it does at 2k rpms. There are a few remedies for the power loss, check out he Cobb Accessport and other tuning devices. An intake might be a good place to start.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
interesting. care to elaborate? will the 89 in there now damage anything?
It will not damage anything, but you will notice a loss of power. Just fill it up with 93 and you should be fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmm... interesting thread... what are these cars worth? I think my MSRP was like $32k and I paid $25.5 OTD. I wonder if the Kelly/NADA values know how many leftovers were on lots for so long and what kind of killer deals were still available on new vehicles well into '08.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I feel dumb just reading about people buying these cars for over 20K used. I can't imagine how the folks who actually spent that must feel.

While mine is a sport, I think I managed $24K new, over 3 years ago.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have a GT for that price? If so, it was a steal!
Yup sold my 07 ms3 gt w/46k for 15500 and picked up an 06 ms6 gt w/40k for 15500 from a local dealer. IMO I think the OP should have done some cars.com and autotrader.com and craigslist.com searching for cars in different states. He could have flown somewhere and picked up a car for cheaper than 21k.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting $21,000 for my '06 with 30,000 miles. I think I paid $23,000 in '07 when I bought it as a Mazda corporate demo with 10,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong about Carmax. They have great marketing, and prey on people like you who think it's cool that there's "no haggling".

They have a large and diverse selection of vehicles, but there's nothing special about the quality of cars they take in trade or buy at auction. They pay lower to the trade-in customer than they do at auctions because the guy in their little booth who is desperate has usually done ZERO homework on the current auction market and just assumes they're getting a good deal, when in fact, it's usually 10%-15% less than a trade-in at a branded dealership. Carmax calculates their overhead and charges a standard rate above that per vehicle based on vehicle type, location, time of year, etc...

There's nothing different about Carmax vehicles vs. a regular branded dealerships used lot, and their "rigorous inspection process" or whatever is a complete joke. Their warranty is through a 3rd party and is a complete scam. Carmax is a ripoff, do not buy from them.

To the OP, that's a HUGE warranty for this car. Is it covered through Mazda or a 3rd party negotiated into the contract. Ie, are you going to have to convince the sales manager at the dealership to pay, or some guy on the phone in Cleveland who claims your tint is the reason the car isn't making boost anymore?

The jerkiness and hesitation is probably due to the crap gas and the ECU crushing the timing to avoid knock. This car doesn't have the smoothest drivetrain out there... you'll read some more and find out the usualy problems. Jerkiness could also be cause by improper spark plug gap, which is a huge problem from the factory... these cars came with a huge gap and current theory is to reduce the gap. Read up.

And yes, at about 5500rpm, the drive-by-wire throttle plate closes dramatically no matter how far the pedal is pressed, the ECU pulls timing and dumps in fuel. The car makes less power at redline than it does at 2k rpms. There are a few remedies for the power loss, check out he Cobb Accessport and other tuning devices. An intake might be a good place to start.
Maybe your thinking about the old carmax... i remember when they did people wrong about 8 years ago... however... have you bought a car there lately ? And the inspection isnt bs... they actually do check everything which is great. There was over 200 cars in the back that couldnt be sold there they said because they didnt pass the inspection... so no... that is not correct.
Aswell as price... they sell their cars just below blue book and nada.
Take a look. And the no haggle price.... is there so you dont have to go back and forth with a salesman trying to agree on the price while you know he will just jack the price up in other areas.... this is straigh forward and if you cant see this when its all laid out on the table you have got to be stupid.
Plz dont speak about something you have no experience with.. I just bought my car 5 days ago and just had this experience aswell as my mother bought a car and a friend. I recommended them and they both say the same thing about their service and quality.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Task,

No haggle pricing is a gimick that dealers have been using for years! Trust me I was in the car business for 7 years. They do that to make is seem like you are getting a deal w/ out having to haggle, but really you are just paying the asking price!

BTW, I purchased my 06 WWP GT w/ just about every option including nav, w/ 34k miles, in November for $16,400. So I would say that their prices are a bit inflated! But hey, you didn't have to go back and forth w/ a salesman so I guess you made out! LOL

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Congrats on the car.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Congrats on the car.
Exactly. The guy paid too much for the car, but so what? The deal is done so let it be. Actually, more people need to start doing this to help our resale value.

I would personally never buy a car from Carmax because I like the whole haggling business. The only time that doesn't work is when you are in a rush to buy a car. Task and eric, enjoy your cars. This forum has a lot of good info and will get you modding in no time!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe your thinking about the old carmax... i remember when they did people wrong about 8 years ago... however... have you bought a car there lately ? And the inspection isnt bs... they actually do check everything which is great. There was over 200 cars in the back that couldnt be sold there they said because they didnt pass the inspection... so no... that is not correct.
Aswell as price... they sell their cars just below blue book and nada.
Take a look. And the no haggle price.... is there so you dont have to go back and forth with a salesman trying to agree on the price while you know he will just jack the price up in other areas.... this is straigh forward and if you cant see this when its all laid out on the table you have got to be stupid.
Plz dont speak about something you have no experience with.. I just bought my car 5 days ago and just had this experience aswell as my mother bought a car and a friend. I recommended them and they both say the same thing about their service and quality.
Task, you are a horribly misinformed consumer. This is evident by the fact that you overpaid for your MS6 by about $6k... maybe a little more in some parts of the country. Carmax loves people like you, they make a fricking KILLING off people like you who don't bother to do any real homework and simply get sucked into the hype.

Your BtoB warranty is a scam through a 3rd party that was probably a huge reason you paid to much for your car. Would you mind looking through your paperwork and finding the company that actually owns the warranty? Your car will never be seen by anybody who has a clue about the engine or drivetrain on this car, and I guarantee you modify it with so much as a shift knob and it's void.

The cars in the back lots at Carmax that they can't sell are either older or have hi-mileage and will be sold off to other used car lots, but it's not because they couldn't pass some mechanical or safety inspection.

As for what you pay... why would you let a salesman tell YOU what YOU should pay for a used car? These cars have never been worth NADA or KBB because starting about 6 months after they were released, and when they didn't sell worth a damn, dealerships couldn't provide enough incentives to move any of them. I think my sticker was $32k. I paid $25.5 OTD for a loaded GT minus NAV. You paid $3500 less than I did for a 4yr old car with 30k miles, a scam warranty, no clue about the car's history, no chance a mechanic with a clue will ever see it, and you think you got a good deal because he Carmax guy told you it was?

Dude, Carmax is a scam. If you're not the kind of guy who will haggle, then you will drastically overpay EVERY TIME! Dealerships LOVE YOU because they get to sell you a car in record time on their terms. The dealership should thank their lucky stars at a time like this that you've graced their showroom with your presence and not the guy down the street. You are in charge when you walk into a dealership, you dictate the terms, you pay what you decide it's worth, and you don't buy a car without doing your homework.

It's the responsibility of the consumer to make informed buying decisions that will get you the most value for the least money. That's what enourages competition. Competition encourages growth and development. Negotiating the best deal at the dealership for the price you're willing to pay AS AN INFORMED CONSUMER who has done his homework is your responsibility not only to yourself but to the rest of us. If you'd just come here first and asked what these cars are worth, we could have saved you some serious coin.

I do have experience with Carmax. I have been to one in Virginia Beach and here in San Diego. I did my homework, I became informed, I visited the lot and talked to the salespeople and found out everything I read on the internet is true. It's just another used car lot in a fancy wrapper where you overpay for your vehicle for the pleasure of no-haggling and they security of their bull inspections and scam warranties.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts