Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add; signed off on a soul red 2016 6 Touring with only ~13k miles May of last year. A primary reason that I chose this car has a regular automatic transmission as opposed to a CVT... which seem to be questionable at best regarding long term reliability in general. The secondary reasons... well, where do I even begin??? Idrive style knob so I don't dirty up the infotainment with my Chick-fil-a covered fingers? Executive looking styling that wipes the floor with a pretty fair share of actual luxury brand cars? Its sheer underratedness? And much, MUCH better handling than any mainstream fullsize/V6 GM sedan 15-20 years ago, much less on winding roads & supposedly slow speed highway ramps?! Maybe it was remarkably hard to find something negative about this car... other than the road noise & fragile paint job...

Since this is the newest car I've ever owned, I immediately started doing some serious road tripping almost immediately. Exactly 1 year (one month ago) after I signed off on this car, I put ~35k miles on it and ended up in 18 states. For the most part within this timeframe, I had a fulltime job working 10 hour days 4 days a week... which made it REMARKABLY easy to plan good sized weekend getaways... if they weren't an entirely instant, impulsive decision on my part...

Maintenance so far:

>windshield cracked within the first 3-4 weeks of ownership... hear this is widespread for the factory windshields (another mid 2010s Mazda3 parked at my work had the exact kinda cracking as well). Replaced it 4-5 months later (it was mostly front passenger, so I didn't care much)...

>new battery last winter... it was about the right age and the inside lights were flickering just beforehand...

>new tires at ~45k miles; the fronts were REALLY noisy around this time. Got 60k mile rated tires, so hopefully those don't get touched anytime before 100k miles... Originally wanted to replace the 19' wheels to the base/sport 17' wheels to get the absolute highest mileage out of the tires... but that would've been excruciatingly expensive...

>synthetic oil changes done between immediately or within 1000 miles of the sticker date. Filter replaced at least once so far as well

This car will most likely hit 50k miles within this week and I have a BIG trip out west planned next month... BUT I DO HAVE AT LEAST A COUPLE MAJOR CONCERNS LOOKING INTO THE MEDIUM TERM:

>TRANSMISSION:
▪︎There were a couple close-call incidents where I had to floor the car, but both these times I did so, there was a pretty noticeable delay & a sudden "kick' when I pressed on the gas... hear this is exactly how the lockdown switch works, but idk...
▪︎One day after work a couple months ago, I reverse, then put it into drive, but for a reason I no longer remember, I waited about 6-10 seconds at a complete stop before proceeding, and there was a REALLY violent response and hesitation going forward. Again, from a complete stop after putting it into reverse. Should this worry me as much as I think? Or is this somehow... normal?
▪︎is this somewhat rubberbandy feeling normal? Or should I contact a mechanic if not service department immediately?
▪︎Who made the automatics for my car? Mazda themselves? Aisin? Or Jatco? I ask bc I hear multiple answers to this question. One answer would worry me... the other will have me completely disregard any weirdness I see...

GDI/SKYACTIV G ENGINE:
Is the potential for internal carbon/sludge buildup as widespread, potentially problematic & almost unavoidable as I seem to hear? With a presumably not cheap internal walnut shell blasting & a catch can thereafter most likely just around the corner? Again, I hear two different answers to this question. And I ask because there seems to be a little more hesitation to acceleration & some new noises when driving at the lowest rpm. Idk... if y'all can't tell by now, I get VERY easily paranoid about such things whenever I hear any new noises. But better safe than sorry, right???

Sorry if this is an incredibly long and far reaching post, but I kinda want ALL these questions answered before any answers come to me the hard way...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congrats on the 1st anniversary ! Hope you'll enjoy your car for a long time to come. The transmission on these cars are geared towards fuel economy than performance, so you'll have to give her some stick to stay in the power band. Road noise comes standard with those awful dunlops and fragile paint ? Well that's unfortunately signature mazda.

I havent heard of sludge being a problem with skyactiv engines yet. There are members here who have clocked 150k+ miles without any problems. Just stay on top of oil changes and with the number of miles you clock in an year, i assume you do a lot of highway driving ? So i dont think you'll have too much to think about sludge. Goodluck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely, this car will predominantly see highway miles during its lifetime, but every now & then it will see hilly, winding roads through places like the Ozarks (I live in St. Louis and they begin almost immediately southwest of me)...

But I TRULY hope I'm just getting started with this car; intend to have traveled to 24 states with this car by this time next year. Utah (much less part of Wyoming & Colorado) is happening in 2.5 weeks, with both Dakotas slated between Labor Day & the 2nd week of October (hear winter starts REALLY early up there) with at least one more deep southern state next spring (either Louisiana or Georgia). Some would say I'm going bat ish crazy with my travel plans, but I turn 25 after Christmas, and after that I'll rent much more often since that underage fee or whatever goes away... BUT I'll still be setting milestones with the Mazda. Ultimately in the medium term, I wanna invest in a beater car for said travel plans, solely to offset the obvious amount of miles I'll otherwise put on my car...

As for the paint & outside noise, I personally could care less as long as the powertrain/transmission stay solid (again there should be absolutely ZERO excuses with predominantly highway miles getting put on the clock), the infotainment screen never breaks or internally spazzes out for no reason, the interior stays put together (no leaks) & the speakers still work perfectly. I hear some rattling while driving, but that most likely was a my-bad... as my previous car was a 6 seater impala with a front bench seat and I wasn't used to the idea of change falling out if my pocket going right between the seat & the center console.

But what I was originally trying to ask was if there's ANY sort of moderate to relatively high dollar repairs/maintenance I should financially prepare for between now and, say... 70 to 100k miles? Front wheel bearings? Front alignment? Spark plugs? Fuel injectors? Etc? Heard a transmission fluid change is a COMPLETELY different beast with this car than literally anything else out there... If this car survives it's first rodeo out west with zero issues, I'm replacing the regular headlights with LEDs at first given opportunity; you think they're OK, but then you pull onto a road where the stripes & reflectors are all faded like Cheech & Chong were last Easter during a moderate rain and are officially PRAYING a deer isn't in your way... among other things...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't have any advice since I'm a newbie, only had my car 7 months, but I just had to say wow, your life sounds fun! I love road trips, but it's been awhile. Maybe it's time to plan some. Thanks for the inspiration!:smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had 2014 120k and it practically still smells new. Have not spent a penny except oil and filters.

Replaced my plugs few months ago and they still looked new. Color was good, no fouling and no wear.

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
At 160k miles.

Front Brakes replaced around 55k because they had warped (it's a recall if yours do).
Back breaks replaced around 80k but probably had some life left.
Replaced plugs around 100 just because, didn't like the ones I got so did it again at 120.
Front struts blew around 140k but this car has seen some terrible roads and suffered a lot of hard hits, so it doesn't surprise me.
Rear struts feel like they're about to go as well so I'll be swapping those out soon.

Beyond that - regular 6k oil changes until 140k, now I've switched to 7000 because the oil tests keep coming back amazing.

Overall I've had no major issues with the car and still love it as much as day 1.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got a 2016 with 120K miles. Byakuya's experience pretty much matches mine. I had front brakes done at 70K due to warped rotors. Rear brakes are probably due for a change, but my driving is nearly 100% freeway/highway...they see very little use.

plugs replaced at 85K I think.
Transmission fluid (MTX) replaced at 40K and 80K miles. I'll do that again soon.
Suspension is definitely feeling a little worn...don't think anything is totally blown out, but I'll likely do struts before next winter. It'll probably be around 140K miles when I do suspension.

I'm looking at keeping this on the road for at least another 2.5 years, which will have me around 225K miles. Wondering if I should be replacing brake fluid and coolant this summer?

At 160k miles.

Front Brakes replaced around 55k because they had warped (it's a recall if yours do).
Replaced plugs around 100 just because, didn't like the ones I got so did it again at 120.
Front struts blew around 140k but this car has seen some terrible roads and suffered a lot of hard hits, so it doesn't surprise me.
Rear struts feel like they're about to go as well so I'll be swapping those out soon.

Beyond that - regular 6k oil changes until 140k, now I've switched to 7000 because the oil tests keep coming back amazing.

Overall I've had no major issues with the car and still love it as much as day 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My brakes are still original and they are only about half gone. Mostly highway miles until the last year.

No signs of strut wear.

Only quibbles:

Door liners (fake leather looking panels above handles) have all come unglued at the top. Car gets hellacious heat ever day and it is black.

“Auto” AC knob is stuck, so all of my AC controls are fully manual. (I have Touring model) Which isn’t a big deal here. Full max air at all times!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
At 160k miles.

If I may confirm it, you replaced your front brake pads at 55,000 miles?

I only have 40,000 km and I need to replace it now, front and rear pads, I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
If I may confirm it, you replaced your front brake pads at 55,000 miles?

I only have 40,000 km and I need to replace it now, front and rear pads, I'm just waiting for it to arrive.
Front pads and rotors at 55k, yup. Though the pads easily had another 15 - 20k miles in them, I was tired of the warped rotors.

But also put 55k miles on the car in under 2 years with it being 95% highway driving, so the pads weren't being used much.

As other evidence, I've had these same pads/rotors on now for over 100k miles and they've still got some life in them :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Front pads and rotors at 55k, yup. Though the pads easily had another 15 - 20k miles in them, I was tired of the warped rotors.

But also put 55k miles on the car in under 2 years with it being 95% highway driving, so the pads weren't being used much.

As other evidence, I've had these same pads/rotors on now for over 100k miles and they've still got some life in them :)
What could be wrong with my brake pads? Perhaps I should blame my driving style.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Archerfish -- Probably.

I've got 180k on my "6" now -- on second set of brakes. They're still serviceable but probably have another ~20k miles worth of life left in them.

It's not hard to burn through a set of brakes in 20k miles or less. You won't like what it does to your fuel economy doing that (every bit of braking you do is heat that you must dissipate, and you paid for that energy in the form of gas) but.... it's your choice.

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
Archerfish -- Probably.

I've got 180k on my "6" now -- on second set of brakes. They're still serviceable but probably have another ~20k miles worth of life left in them.

It's not hard to burn through a set of brakes in 20k miles or less. You won't like what it does to your fuel economy doing that (every bit of braking you do is heat that you must dissipate, and you paid for that energy in the form of gas) but.... it's your choice.
What he said.

I roll to stops as often as I can, I approach turns at the highest speed I can without hitting brakes, I drive (usually) as calmly as I can because it's too easy to get stressed with a long commute and never worth it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Archerfish -- Probably.

180,000 and this is in miles and not kilometers?!? That means, the average is 90k.

I only raced the car thrice so that might have caused it.

I'm hoping that EBC Green is better than stock. The stock pads cost way more than the aftermarket ones. Well, what else can I expect from stealership (I got that word here).
What he said.

I roll to stops as often as I can, I approach turns at the highest speed I can without hitting brakes, I drive (usually) as calmly as I can because it's too easy to get stressed with a long commute and never worth it.
I also do this, but some drivers brake too early and so I have to brake too.

In our local place, we have a lot of "uneducated" driver. Many will stay and hog the overtaking lane and they run way below 80 kph!

Another annoying thing, some of them, if not most of them, will enter your lane very, very, and painfully slow as they merge. There was an instance that I have to slam on the brakes!

It's difficult to use the cruise control and maintain a speed of 83 kph as some are running at 60! I understand trucks, but cars?

Then again, I have to adjust. The world will not adjust for me. I need to drive slow, like the rest of them.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
180,000 and this is in miles and not kilometers?!? That means, the average is 90k.
Yep, and I changed the first set of brakes because I expected to have to do it in the middle of the summer, which is a serious pain in the neck around here due to the summer heat. I'd rather do the job in the off seasons, so I did it 10-20k miles early.

I think I'll get into fall before the current set runs out..... but it'll be close. I rotate my tires when I change my oil, so I get a good opportunity to look at the brake pad condition every ~7k miles or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts