Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just ordered my RPM Audio Link for my 06 6. I figured it was the best route to take to get the CD quality sound without using a FM transmitter.

For all of you out there that have installed one yourself, I have a few questions for you. I am not what you could call a person who is mechanically inclined, however I can follow directions (aka I'm a noob). How hard is this thing to install? Will I be able to install this myself?

Also, I've read up on a few places where the iPod can be wired. Can anyone recommend me a specific area to wire it to? I've heard the cupholder is a popular place.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
welcome to the club. there are about a dozen threads on dash disassembly & AL install. two in the past day.

anyhow, one good right-up was by Johnny, titled "my spanish aux in", if you search you'll find that one and a dozen more.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well, I just ordered my RPM Audio Link for my 06 6. I figured it was the best route to take to get the CD quality sound without using a FM transmitter.

For all of you out there that have installed one yourself, I have a few questions for you. I am not what you could call a person who is mechanically inclined, however I can follow directions (aka I'm a noob). How hard is this thing to install? Will I be able to install this myself?

Also, I've read up on a few places where the iPod can be wired. Can anyone recommend me a specific area to wire it to? I've heard the cupholder is a popular place.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! [/b]
Personally, I bought the USB AudioLink, cuz I'm one of the few who refuses to buy an iPod (I have a Creative Zen Sleek Photo).
It takes me about 5-10 mins to install the whole thing from start to finish. The one thing I should stress is to have a towel handy... Once you take the shift knob off, and pull out the HU faceplate, it's very easy to get it all nice and scratched up. There are millions of how-to's available, just search.

As for my own install, I replaced the 1/8" patch cable with a longer one. My unit is directly underneath the cup holders, and the cable comes through the little vent-type thing in the center armrest. I also have my USB cable hooked up to my mp3 player as well (coming up through the same hole) so that my music will play when I remote start the car.

For your install, however, since you have an iPod, I'd suggest you do something similar. Have your sync cable come up through those vents that I used, but open the little flap in the upper part of the center armrest (the smaller pocket). That way, your iPod will always be hidden (you're going to be using the HU controls, anyway..right?)

It's going to be a little tight around there, and since it's your first time.. be careful.
Also, what options are on your 6? I know the 06+ have different HU's, so it might be a slightly different procedure. But, the options that matter are; ATX or MTX, and manual climate controls vs. automatic climate controls?

PS - I've installed this thing about three times in my car... fyi, RPM has GREAT customer service, and a great warranty on this thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2006 mazda 6 and just installed the ipod link 2 months ago. I have now taken my console apart over 5 times since then. The job is pretty easy since it is plug and play but if you are the nervous type like me, please take the following pointers:

-the 10mm bolt to the right of the glovebox is hard to get to and drops easily. Put a piece of paper or some type of magnet to prevent it from dropping.
-two screws at the bottom of the deck are the same way. I dropped both of them out of lack of patience. I have yet to find them.
-I mounted mine in the upper armrest bin. Looks very professional however is a pain to get to. Currently, the wire is routed through the lower armrest bin and comes out and lays on the cupholder. I have the aux 3.5mm port sticking out of the cup holder(had to drill a small hole) and put a bic pen top to prevent it from static. I had to cut three holes. One for the cuprest, one to get the cable into the lower armrest bin and another to go through the upper armrest bin.

I used a flathead jewelry screwdriver to pry the deck out. It was and still is a pain to do. Now I have little marks over the side. You will probably have to find something to pry it out because it is locked in there with a rubber gromet. the shifter panel and the cupholder pannel can be taken off pretty easily.

Other than that, it is just plug and play. To feed the wire from the cupholder to the deck, you can go through the little hole by the cigarrette lighter and use your right hand and kind of fish it in. From there you can pull it up with your hand and get through to the back of the deck.

Good luck in your install!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts