Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I couldn't help myself. I just can't wait anymore. I want to know whether the Destinator is any good for navigation.

http://www.ipaqdestinator.com/

I'll tell you when I've tried it out. Mine is supposed to come with maps for all Scandinavia. We'll see about that.

Hooray for technology!:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Just ordered aftermarket NAV'

Yes, even if you include the iPAQ (and I have that already...)

I pay 400 US$ excl. VAT.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Steve, how/where are you planning on mounting it? On top of the dash or off the console?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

There is a dash mounting kit available. But to begin with, the stuff has to convince me it's worth bothering with getting that kit and mount it...:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I was thinking that if the NAV allows for landscape display then you could rig it to mount sideways into the sunglasses storage bin above the console. Not that it would be permanently fixed, just that it would snap into a mount located in the bin when it's open.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's an idea. But I don't know if it supports that. I think I'll get it tomorrow, have to get back to u all on that.

VELCRO is an idea. Two component glue is another. Oh wait...this is my new 6 we're speaking of... I'd better not, then...:D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It's an I-pac where talking about right? Just glue the damn thing to a couple of glasses and drive :D And remove the casing and the white pice of ... thing thats behind the LCD you can get this cool map-over-real-view thing like a HUD for fighter pilots :D And as a bonus people will think "Oh that guy is really modern and "wiered" :D Or weird :D

No but I have seen these very adjustable phone-and-PDA-holders you can but in your car. I dunno if the I-pac gets any bigger with the GPS on so it might be a tight fit even though it's adjustable. Might require drilling :)(). And a phone otherwise it'll look st00pid :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yeah, it looks quite okay, doesn't it.

(BTW: the thingie uses audio, you don't have to look at the tiny screen all the time if you don't wish...)

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey Steve,

What I want to know is how are you going to hear the voice? Those lousy Ipaq speaker is pretty lousy. Are you planning to wire the output (headphone jack) of your Ipaq to the stereo somehow.

I was thinking of the same as you buying a GPS for my PDA. When I start thinking about volume from the tiny speaker. There is an easy method of buying the cassette player so I can use those cassette adapter to get input but that is crazy since I have no tapes whatsoever in my possession.

From another post, there was no indication of any line input so how are you going to input it into the stereo if you are planning to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We'll see about this. But even if the sound is not good, the volume is probably sufficient to hear things like "turn left" and "turn right" from the iPaq speaker.

If it's too low, I have to figure something out.:)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The iPaq has a line out, yes. (or ear out rather...)

·
Registered
837 Posts

Exactly!!! No line in on the M6 unit.

There has to be a solution. I plan to install my GPS into the car and my PDA has really tinny sound.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts