Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two presents for my '03 V6 Sedan from my wife :love:: A Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth kit with Bose harness and an AuxMod to connect my Sirius receiver (both were at my direct request :D). Today, I installed both.

Following the directions on this site, I was able to get the HU out quite easily. (The only hitch was after removing the bottom two screws and the screw beside the glove compartment, the radio wouldn't budge. :irate: Looking closer, I realized that I'd removed the two screws further down and not the ones holding the radio. After removing the correct two screws, it came out quite easily.:blush:)

Everything went together quite nicely. The Parrot main-module fits quite nicely under the cup-holders. I mounted my Sirius receiver hanging off of the front-end of the sunglass holder overhead and mounted the Parrot mic in front of it. (I'll put up some pictures in a few days). I ran the cables under the glove compartment, up the front-right-side pillar and under the lip of the head-liner.

One interesting thing. My cell phone is a Samsung A950 (Verizon) and the advanced features of the Parrot don't work -- voice dial, vocal caller-id, etc. I assume this is because of Verizon's crippling of the Bluetooth in the phone. However, pressing the green button brings up my phone's voice dial which I'm use to anyway, so I'm not unhappy. The sound quality is excellent in both directions. At 75MPH with the fans at full speed, the only complaint my caller had was that I sounded a little hollow. :)

Althogether, I'm quite happy. It's a pain that we had to pay the extra $100 for the Bose harness, but that's life. (Yes, it was a present, but it's our money. :D)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your problem getting the Parrot voice dial to work might be because it cannot automatically synchronise your phone book, however usually you can manually synchronize. Take a look around the www.driveblue.com website. Granted I have the 3100 which may be different. On the same website there are some forums that can be quite useful. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware on the Parrot. It should be V5.1 with the CK3000 - of course since it doesn't have a display I have no idea how you check it :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I should be making the parrot installation this weekend. I received the harness yesterday. however I still need a mic. for the system. I received it from a friend without the mic. I'm hoping the install is pretty straight forward. I have the bose system with harness. can't wait to have the parrot working in it. I would love to see some pictures. i think im going to install the screen on the left side just above the dash dimmer. best place i could think of to install it. (I dont like things hanging out from the dash.)

I also installed the syflex auxmod last week. WORKS GREAT!!!

I have the Harmon Kardon hooked to that.. I was using the cig lighter to power the HK. but im getting an engine whine and even with a ground loop iso. there's still some whine. so I will be hardwiring it when i install the parrot hopefully that will get rid of the whine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Parrot CK3100 and the Audio link and they work fine together. The only small irritation is that if you don't have it set up right, every little thing the phone does tells the parrot to mute the radio which in turn pauses the ipod. On most phones you can set a profile that it uses when connected to the carkit. If ou enable that and then configure that profile to have no warning ton es or alert tones etc, then all works fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where are you guys getting the Parrot cable for the Bose cars? The MazdaSpeed 6 comes with Bose and my installer won't install my Parrot 3200 since he says it is not compatible with Bose.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the Parrot CK3100 and the Audio link and they work fine together. The only small irritation is that if you don't have it set up right, every little thing the phone does tells the parrot to mute the radio which in turn pauses the ipod. On most phones you can set a profile that it uses when connected to the carkit. If ou enable that and then configure that profile to have no warning ton es or alert tones etc, then all works fine.[/b]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. OP here. Sorry to have been away, I've been busy.

I had to deinstall the Parrot harness and exchange it. The power to the HU and LCD display was cutting out. Having the radio out but connected and playing with the wires on the connector into the radio, I got the power to again cut in and out so it looks like a bad connection. I called Parrotkit, talked to Tech Support for 5 minutes and they cross-shipped a new harness which should arrive today.

I will take advantage of the fact that I have to pull out the HU once again (it gets real easy after the first few times :laugh:) to get some good pictures.

On the other hand, the AuxMod has been working great. I did have to add a ground loop isolator between it and my Sirius receiver due to engine noise but now it sounds great.

To reiterate what nips said, there is no reason the Parrot and the AudioLink won't co-exist. They connect to different parts of the HU, similarly to my AuxMod.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi guys,

Are all of the Parrot kits powered via the harness going to the headunit? What connection does this go to in the headunit? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I received the replacment harness from Parrotkit.com and everything is working very nicely now. High marks to them for the easy support and quick replacement of the defective unit.

Here are the promised photos of the install:

First, here is the ParrotKit Mazda Bose Harness QCHBB-M. It is complete and you use none of the wiring supplied with the Parrot unit, just the main unit, control head and mic.

The box in the middle of the harness is apparantly the level-matching electronics for the Bose amp. It has a phone volume adjustment, in addition to the volume control on the control head.

Opening up the console and removing the head-unit, I discovered a nice space behind where the HU mounts. I will put the harness back there.

I installed the AuxMod in the bottom of the HU, where the tape deck would go. The connector is not tight enough to hold it, so Sylfex supplies two pieces of double-sticky foam tape to secure the Auxmod to the HU.

I then plugged the Radio Sheck ground-loop isolator into the AuxMod and the GLI sits nicely in the compartment for the tape deck.

I connected up the Parrot system temporarily to adjust, if necessary, the volume trim. I ended up turning it all the way up.

I then stuffed the harness back behind the HU. The audio line to the GLI also ran down there.

The third leg of the harness came out into the central console. I ran it, along with the cable to the control head, back past the shifter. I secured the wires wire cable-ties to keep them out of the shifter.

The wires ran all the way back to under the cup-holders where I placed the Parrot central unit (blue box). The box is not secured but the wires are cable-tied to the wire cluster there which holds everything securely. (The loop of wire is the line to the control unit.)

The mic cable is plugged into the blue box and run back up the other side of the shifter and then out the back of the console, under the glove compartment. The audio cable from the AuxMod also was run out there. Here I also had the power cable to the Sirius receiver (which goes under the mat to the back console compartment and is plugged int othe power outlet there, for the time being). The three cables were then secured to the bottom of the frame below the glove compartment with cable ties.

The cables then came out around the panel in the end of the dash, next to the door and, along with the Sirius antenna cable, went up under the front pillar.

At the top of the pillar, I just stuffed the wires under the edge of the headliner. The wires were cable-tied together and the bulk of the cable-ties was sufficient to keep everything snug under the edge.

Finally, everything came out under the rear-view mirror where I mounted the receiver and Parrot mic.

Here's a side view where you can see the wires coming out of the headliner. You can also see that I mounted the receiver with metal tape (the kind used to brace home water heaters). I looped the tape up over the lip of the sunglass holder and used velcro tape to mount the receiver. A bit of a kludge, but it works.

Here's the Parrot control head, also mounted with velcro. I may relocate it later.

That's it. I do want to thank everyone on this forum who posted instructions on opening the console, removing the HU, removing the pillar, etc. I would not have even attempted it without this help.

Just FYI: the Parrot harness is made and sold by http://www.parrotkit.com. (We also bought the Parrot unit itself from them.) The Auxmod is made and sold by http://www.sylfex.com/.

Fell free to post questions, I will be happy to try to answer them.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
But then you can't use your sunglasses holder. Am I the only person in the world with glasses small enough to fit in there?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Cool. Thanks for taking the time to do pics and a writeup.

I'm thinking about doing this, but its so hard thinking about spending >$265 for the entire kit (parrot+ bose harness)

I called parrot kits directly and confirmed that the unit will indeed work with the AudioLink ipod connector. The parrotkit doesn't use the external CD changer port.

By the way, can callers tell you are not using a headset? ie. Echoing effect.

·
Registered
581 Posts
But then you can't use your sunglasses holder. Am I the only person in the world with glasses small enough to fit in there?[/b]
you just might be.. my shades def dont fit hah

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, can callers tell you are not using a headset? ie. Echoing effect.[/b]
No echoing, as far as I know. The only comment has been that I sound a little hollow. If I talk with my normal speaking voice while cruising at freeway speeds, my voice breaks up a bit, presumably due to the noice reduction but if I raise my voice a little, it's clear.

BTW, the noice reduction works very nicely. I called my voice mail and played it back and I couldn't hear any background noise, even at freeway speeds. :drive:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts