Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I got back my set of headers from cp-e last week they changed out the cats to the spun magnaflow cats which so far are great the headers are also coated by swaintech which is a great coating i highly recommend them the headers look great and im sure will be well protected. the install was a pain but nevertheless a learning experience as the first time i had these headers installed i had a shop do it and it took them forever to get it done. i got it done in about 7-8 hours which wasnt too bad. With these cats the rattling that the old cats made are completely gone. my only concern is how close the up pipe comes to the heatshield above the sub frame. That heatshield isnt very secure from the factory and because of the added vibration and noise once in a while you can hear a slight rattle from it at this point not sure how im gonna go about fixing it.

the new Cats are 50x better because im sure as many of you know how the old ones rattled it was HORRIBLE so far everything is great and cp-e did an awesome job of welding the new ones in. here is a picture of my old headers that were on the car a little over a year.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5359778

I didnt really take any pictures of the new headers that i put in i just wanted to get them in and didnt take the time to take pictures of them unfortunately. i may be able to snap some pictures of them installed on the car ill try and do that for you guys.

On a second note if anyone is interested in picking up my old set of headers cheap just let me know comes with all the bolts and everything required for the install with the exception of the gasket that connects the y pipe to the catback exhaust but you can either get a new gasket which isnt expensive or reuse the one from your aftermarket exhaust. the only thing that needs to be done to the headers are swapping out the cats and everything is golden :)

PS: if anyone was reluctant to go with the cp-e headers because of all the cat problems earlier i am now confident that pretty much any of the issues in that department have been taken care of. I highly recommend getting the headers coated also. So if you were thinking of getting the headers but the issues that everyone had with them stopped you from making the purchase what are you waiting for? buy them now! lol.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Daishi,

I'm glad you finally got them back. You said installaion was a pain, would you classify the installation as a PITA type of pain or more like a tedious pain? Now that you have them back on, do you still feel it is a worthy item/"must have" to add to the car? What model year is yours? How much extra was it to get the headers coated?

The reason I ask these questions is I am trying to develop interest for '06-'07 owners and get enough of them to jump on board to get CP-E on board with developing headers for the '06-'07 models. CP-E is interested, but needs enought people (obviously) to make it worth developing. And of course they need to finish their current projects first, like the '03-'05 headers.;)

Again, congrats on the install and finally getting them back. Now go out, have fun with your 6, and tell us more!:)
:seeya:
Paul

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2004 6s

Id say its more of a Tedious type of pain that slowly builds up and pisses you off more and more... the words fuck shit and arggg are very common durring the install. The install takes a while a definately stresses out all your muscles sooo if you plan on sleeping at all durring the night be sure to have a pad on the floor of your garage when you do this.. i learned the hard way and layed on the hard floor all thos hours doing the installation.. even with occasional breaks it was painful. needless to say it hurt to go to sleep since my back was demolished lol and usualy i can sleep anywhere... so for you older guys doing the install careful cuz im 19 in decent shape and i was dead after the install..

Im not sure of the exact cost of the coating but i know its in the ballpark of 200-300 since i bought this set off someone on the forums that already had this coated.

Once your finished with the install it is pretty satisfying to know you got it done yourself I think its a worthwhile upgrade.. durring the install one thing to watch out for are the sub frame you wnat to make sure the up pipe is away from it so it doesnt touch.. and also on the front header there is this 1 nut that is rite behind the pipe to the header this was a PITA you cant use an open ended wrench becase there isnt enough room to twist it and you cant use a socket because it doesnt fit. you need a box wrench thats thin enuf to fit between the pipe and the stud.. really the only way to do it either that or an open ended wrench that swivels but thos are harder to find.

PS: as you may know there is not much room to work down there so alot of the times especialy for the rear header there is only 1 way of doing it i would recommend having someone with small hands handy lol

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup the cats replaced by kooks rattle.. so your going to have to change them out once again..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to lift the engine out to install them? Or is it possible to do it without, but just a lot more difficult?[/b]
No you dont have to lift the engine out.

Ill see if i can get a video tomorrow. its late alrdy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Please let us know if you get a CEL

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please let us know if you get a CEL[/b]
ok ill let you know.. once i clear the one i already had with my old set lol. It will most likely come back. I spoke to josh and he said they were going to be working on mil eliminators for the select customers that are experiencing the cel issues...

The for the price on the coating slv..

PS: for anyone who is interested i am selling my other set of headers here...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=74780

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
because i need to drive my car.. if i had taken them off i would of had a car sitting their for 2.5 months.. while cp-e did the cats lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts