Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to MIR like i said earleir in a thread, and i just came back.... i had 3 runs, and well my frist time, i SUCKED! Here is the scoop on my run for all three times:

1) R/T- .796
60'- 2.999
330- 6.581
1/8- 10.007
MPH- 69.64
1000- 12.945
1/4- 15.556
MPH- 89.21

2) R/T- .481
60'- 2.294
330- 6.851
1/8- 10.349
MPH- 69.86
1000- 13.302
1/4- 15.725
MPH- 92.82
-This one, i have an excuse for, once out of 1st gear, 2nd gear was a BITCH to get into, it jamed on me while i had the clutch in... so i dont know wtf happend there...

3) R/T- .475
60'- .593
330- 6.510
1/8- 9.881
MPH- 73.93
1000- 12.796
1/4- 15.193
MPH- 94.21

3rd time was the best, but i could have done better with reaction time.. any tips on how to get it faster any mind games i should play to get that better? Anything is appreciated... Comments, advice...whatever

-(remember, this was my FIRST time at the track...lol)

-Adeel

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Yeah. Stop granny shifting that bad boy!! :D Did you turn off the TCS and raised the RPM's to 3500 or more to get a good launch? Funny I ran these numbers with my old 03 and 05 Mazda6s V6 MTX LOL.....

Just messing with ya. I know it was your first track event. Practice on the launches and shifting. I always get the RPM's up to about 4000 to 4500 and slip the clutch until I get foward motion. Once the car gets going. Slam your foot on the gas and shift smoothly. I shift at 6k every gear.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i launched at 2500RPM, and lol define granny shifting?! lol.... i dumped the clutch everytime....

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Nooooooo...... lol don't dump the clutch. :nono: Our cars seem to hate that.
Granny shifting---> :drive:
Shifting like you stole it-------> :seeya:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh man, you will do better when you go next time. Most of everyone does bad their first time at the track. One thing you can do is practice your launches. I think guys are hitting 1.7's 60ft. You did a 3 second. The good thing is that you cant do anything but improve, so the next time i guarantee you will do good. Also, like atl said, try power shifting(tricky at first, but you can get the hang of it quick, the hardest is 2nd to 3rd). Its when you keep the gas on while you shift. You will look back at this and laugh after a couple of more runs. Good luck man and let us know next time you go.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know that much, i dont dump it into first... just in everyother..... but if not that, than what?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
O ok. Well I pretty much do that too. :) I just try not to grind the gears or miss shift.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man, you will do better when you go next time. Most of everyone does bad their first time at the track. One thing you can do is practice your launches. I think guys are hitting 1.7's 60ft. You did a 3 second. The good thing is that you cant do anything but improve, so the next time i guarantee you will do good. Also, like atl said, try power shifting(tricky at first, but you can get the hang of it quick, the hardest is 2nd to 3rd). Its when you keep the gas on while you shift. You will look back at this and laugh after a couple of more runs. Good luck man and let us know next time you go.
[/b]

i'll give that power shifting a try, that SHOULD help me a lot, whats the best way to launch it from a 0 start? caue i cant ever come to a conclusion on wether to dump the clutch at 3000RPM, or just launch it at a decent 2000RPM...any advice on launching it from the start?

(thanks for the advice on the power shifting ATL and Mazdaspeed36)

-Adeel

·
Registered
267 Posts
i'll give that power shifting a try, that SHOULD help me a lot, whats the best way to launch it from a 0 start? caue i cant ever come to a conclusion on wether to dump the clutch at 3000RPM, or just launch it at a decent 2000RPM...any advice on launching it from the start?
(thanks for the advice on the power shifting ATL and Mazdaspeed36)

-Adeel
[/b]
everyone does it different. I personally have found that I rev it to 4k and the slip it until it grabs and then just floor it and the powershift through the gears at about 6k like atl. I havent been to the strip in this car yet, but Im pretty sure ill be in the 13's. I ran a 15.0 in my last truck(toyota x-runner) and this car is a good bit faster. See, the problem is that if you dump the clutch in the launch, you have to have it around 5k or so to not bog the motor out. P5freek does it at 6k and hes the fastest on the board(13.30, i think) But, i pay alot a month for the car and im scared to do that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=60704 He is the fastest so far......... ;) I want that title back!!
[/b]
you are very funny, im still laughing!! you gotta earn that title BOY............ ;)

and spoolin6 i would suggest you to rev it up to 5k then you take off!! if you take off at 2500k the just dies on you hehe!!

5k you let go the clutch , and play with the gaz a little , dont just let it sit at 5k ... like this you creat boost of the start so it helps alot as well.

ENJOY the ride :drive:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes it is all in the launch. As a general rule with the AWD, every tenth of a second off your launch = 2 tenths off your ET. I know that car has a lot more in it! Drive it like it's not your car :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
You might want to do a little research on power shifting before you take up this method - it can be very hard on tranny's; especially in AWD cars. If you plan on spending most of your time at the track, go for it and chalk up the tanny rebuilds as a cost of doing business.
The guys that swear by power shifting may not agree with me but I think it's better than you understand what you are getting into before potentially breaking your car (again, in your case) - do some research....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha YEA drive it like its not my car.....YOURE FUNNY! lolol.... well as far as playing with the throttle and getting the boost going, i already do that, and well i'll try the power shifting, and the letting the clutch grab at about 4-6grand...... but provided that my MS6 is STOCK, i'm not gonna get a 13.30....period! lol and if you guys were woundering, i didn't go over the burnout strip, i went aside it.... :-D

·
Registered
440 Posts
You might want to do a little research on power shifting before you take up this method - it can be very hard on tranny's; especially in AWD cars. If you plan on spending most of your time at the track, go for it and chalk up the tanny rebuilds as a cost of doing business.
The guys that swear by power shifting may not agree with me but I think it's better than you understand what you are getting into before potentially breaking your car (again, in your case) - do some research....
[/b]
Agree. There is no good reason to power shift this car, just shift fast and clean.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agree. There is no good reason to power shift this car, just shift fast and clean.
[/b]
If you want the fastest possible time, your not gonna get it shifting fast and clean. I can garantee that you you will have a faster time powershifting, period. It cant be great to powershift, but, Im well under warranty and Ill just get the tranny replaced if anything happens. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I went to the track for the first time last night. Bone stock Speed6GT. Even has the resonators still in place.
Here is my second pass.

Second pass was my best overall
60' 1.978
330 6.115
1/8 9.548
MPH 71.19
1000 12.497
1/4 14.975
MPH 90.55

Would have liked to see them a little lower, but started having issues with time slips so I left being friday the 13th and all, didnt want to press bad luck. At least I was quicker than the other speed6.
My best 60' was 1.929

I found some 1/4 mile calculators and put in 3500lbs and 274 flywheel horsepower. That should equal a 14.3 second 1/4 mile at see level. The barametric altitude last night was 3500'to 3600' so when using a corection factor for 3500' my time works out to 14.3.

Next year will see what happens with a few mods

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
glad to see you hit the track up and gave it a good shot. sorry i couldnt be there with ya. i was still schlepping down 14th street to reagan at 8 pm. next week i'll definitely be up for it.

and for some comfort, i've also never been to the track

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you want the fastest possible time, your not gonna get it shifting fast and clean. I can garantee that you you will have a faster time powershifting, period. It cant be great to powershift, but, Im well under warranty and Ill just get the tranny replaced if anything happens. ;)
[/b]
Bullshit, I've been racing AWD turbo cars for 15+ years now, you're not going to convince me of something I've tried countless times.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bullshit, I've been racing AWD turbo cars for 15+ years now, you're not going to convince me of something I've tried countless times.
[/b]
wow, tough guy huh. I have taken all my cars to the track throughout my life and consistently have ran faster power shifting(although they were not awd). Maybe your just really, really quick. LOL. Oh yeah, I bow down to you and your experience, How can I possibly know anything. All I know is everyones different, Maybe is just slow at shifting regularly. I doubt it though. But given this is my first awd car, I will definitely try it your way when I go to the track, and I will gladly tell you I was wrong if your way works. Im going Nov 5, so I let you know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts