Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thanks all. What is still relatively new to me is turbo. Now, I know boost comes on demand, but how do you keep out of boost under 3000K? Like, it wouldn't be in boost unless you're hammering it. Right? (Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I've driven N/A's all my life. lol)
Boost is more or less based on throttle position. You can feather the throttle and never go into boost on an entire drive, but when you start to get on the throttle more you will feel the car pick up and start hauling ass, and maybe hear the turbo/bpv (kinda like a blow off- depending on the intake and inlet you are running, upgraded will give you a better whoosh sound, especially metal ones) while rowing through the gears.

But yeah, a boost gauge is a must have, my favorite is the prosport Evo series, costs less than $100 shipped and matches the sexy red interior perfectly. The guy above (Block8Head) sells these neat gauge pods for our car, great quality. Or you can put it in one of the heat/AC vents in the center dash..or grab a cheap gauge pod from eBay for $40 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey, nice car. Looks like the twin to my own. As everyone else has said it takes a while to get the clutch down pat. I did the same thing (first car in MTX) and I drove her home through the ass end of rush our heading out of the middle of Toronto with my wife blocking for me behind. Happy to say I made it home, but sadly stalled about 5 times and got to know that burning clutch smell. The e-brake trick is awesome especially when still getting used to the engagement point.
Another good point to note is that with the AWD you can't spin the tires (OK guys given enough horse power or slippery roads you can but I mean dry pavement) This can make launches a little trickey if you're trying to get going quickly but once you get used to playing with the clutch even these get better. Just takes time so don't get discouraged :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey, nice car. Looks like the twin to my own. As everyone else has said it takes a while to get the clutch down pat. I did the same thing (first car in MTX) and I drove her home through the ass end of rush our heading out of the middle of Toronto with my wife blocking for me behind. Happy to say I made it home, but sadly stalled about 5 times and got to know that burning clutch smell. The e-brake trick is awesome especially when still getting used to the engagement point.
Another good point to note is that with the AWD you can't spin the tires (OK guys given enough horse power or slippery roads you can but I mean dry pavement) This can make launches a little trickey if you're trying to get going quickly but once you get used to playing with the clutch even these get better. Just takes time so don't get discouraged :)
Thanks a lot for the encouragement. That burning clutch smell really throws me off though. The biggest thing for me is worrying about the crappy mounts that everyone complains about. I don't wanna stall hard and potentially break something. I'm seriously determined to get it though. Especially because I need to start commuting to school starting next week. <_<

·
Registered
291 Posts
Getting comfortable driving stick takes time. Unfortunately, this is one of the worst cars to try and learn on. Even with adjustment, it is still a grappy clutch with not a lot of apologies. I've driven more manual trans cars I can rattle off the top of my head and this has been the quirkiest one.

And as other have said, try to go easy on the boost. Especially in the higher gear/lower RPM scenarios. Try and use linear throttle input instead of mashing your foot down; this should help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, to everyone who's gonna read this, I actually had some help from my best friends dad today. He's got a 05' Altima 3.5L and he drives stick. He told me to give him 2hrs and he'd have me down pat on the basics. He was right. I didn't even stall once today. As for boosting in low rpms, that's gonna take some working on. I don't really speed around in this car yet, but I'm gonna have to make a conscious effort to stop before I start. I also really should get a boost gauge...though I have no idea how to install one. lol.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Well, to everyone who's gonna read this, I actually had some help from my best friends dad today. He's got a 05' Altima 3.5L and he drives stick. He told me to give him 2hrs and he'd have me down pat on the basics. He was right. I didn't even stall once today. As for boosting in low rpms, that's gonna take some working on. I don't really speed around in this car yet, but I'm gonna have to make a conscious effort to stop before I start. I also really should get a boost gauge...though I have no idea how to install one. lol.
Yayy! Good job :) You'll be a pro in no time! Special bonus once you are: You get to tease anyone who can't drive stick. ^_^

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Glad you are making good progress man. Its always nice having an experienced MTX guy give you pointers in person.

A boost gauge is really something to have. Its good to know that pressures are where they are supposed to be, at the right times.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
lol. Thanks guys. I was pretty proud of myself for a moment. It's fun having so much control of the car. It feels so much more involved. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
441 Posts
lol. Thanks guys. I was pretty proud of myself for a moment. It's fun having so much control of the car. It feels so much more involved. :rolleyes:
So,that being said,will you go back to ATX?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
441 Posts
Once you go manual..........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App

41 - 54 of 54 Posts