Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Whatever you do don't stop going up on a hill till you master the clutch.Unless you do the e-brake trick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App
I love the e-brake trick ^_^ I still use it. I'm too lazy to actually try to drive right.

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
441 Posts
I love the e-brake trick ^_^ I still use it. I'm too lazy to actually try to drive right.

Nothing wrong with that.
Not many people know the e-brake trick

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nothing wrong with that.
Not many people know the e-brake trick

It was the first thing my dad taught me when I learned hills. I always laugh at guys who roll back when they drive standard. No reason for that at all. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@block8head thanks man. lol.

To everyone else, I drove her today after I got off work and did pretty damn good. Only stalled out 3 times. I even got a good run to push her. She is ridiculously fast! I say give me a week before I'm pretty solid on the basic stuff. On that note though....for backing out of your driveway...I know accelerating out is really uncalled for, and riding the clutch sounds like the wrong thing to do....How do you go about it? I'm way to used to just backing out with the brakes only.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Glad you are feeling more confident.

Personally, when i need to back up slowly i will ride the clutch a bit. Its not as hard on it as you would think. Just dont be at high RPM's while doing it.

What i do sometimes is just stay off the gas once you get the nice smooth takeoff in reverse. If thats still a little too quick, just take it out of reverse once its rolling fast enough.

Something worth mentioning, i read somewhere its advisable to not have the clutch depressed for more than 10 to 15 seconds at a time with the engine running. Like say waiting for a light to turn green. Just thought id share that.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@Mr. Smoke Thanks man. You've been seriously helpful bro. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to set my clutch aflame. It sounds scary. lol. Also, thanks for the tip. I figured it wouldn't be advisable. It only takes me a couple of seconds to back out anyways.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Glad you are feeling more confident.

Personally, when i need to back up slowly i will ride the clutch a bit. Its not as hard on it as you would think. Just dont be at high RPM's while doing it.

What i do sometimes is just stay off the gas once you get the nice smooth takeoff in reverse. If thats still a little too quick, just take it out of reverse once its rolling fast enough.

Something worth mentioning, i read somewhere its advisable to not have the clutch depressed for more than 10 to 15 seconds at a time with the engine running. Like say waiting for a light to turn green. Just thought id share that.

When I back up, I get it started with the gas and then play with the clutch and brake.

I always put my car in neutral if I'm in bad traffic or if I come up to a light right as it turns red. Holding in the clutch for that long can get annoying anyway :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I can say that I've confided in going neutral when coming to a stop. Downshifting came easy to me. I just gotta get used to the revs on the 6. I used the auto-manual on my Eclipse and got used to shifting at specific points. I'm at least glad I can still shift at the 3K rev mark in the MS6. I'm just surprised it isn't as difficult as it seems to just drive stick. I just gotta get used to my left foot doing something. lol.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yeah, I can say that I've confided in going neutral when coming to a stop. Downshifting came easy to me. I just gotta get used to the revs on the 6. I used the auto-manual on my Eclipse and got used to shifting at specific points. I'm at least glad I can still shift at the 3K rev mark in the MS6. I'm just surprised it isn't as difficult as it seems to just drive stick. I just gotta get used to my left foot doing something. lol.
You'll get it, and then everything will come naturally! :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Every time i get into an auto i always search for the clutch with my left foot. Force of habit i suppose lol.

Yes! I try to pull my non-existent e-brake to park too. And then scream at my car when it won't let me take my keys out. xD

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Just make sure not to boost too much (if at all...avoid it as much as you can) below 3k rpms. That's how people weaken their rods and eventually bend them and eventually a bent rod will make its way to outside of the block (not good lol). Imagine a bicycler pedaling super hard in a low or first gear...and all the stress you put on the bike and its gears plus your legs (rods) going around that quickly.

For this reason, you'll learn to rarely use 6th, and if you do need some power then make sure to downshift! Don't hammer the gas at low rpms in 6th, it is the easiest gear to be the lowest in the rpms and have the desire to boost, just remember to downshift first!!!

Welcome to the club and good luck with your speed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's great news dude.Just take your time getting to know her,don't go crazy,even tho its AWD she is powerful
Welcome to the family

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks all. What is still relatively new to me is turbo. Now, I know boost comes on demand, but how do you keep out of boost under 3000K? Like, it wouldn't be in boost unless you're hammering it. Right? (Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I've driven N/A's all my life. lol)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Thanks all. What is still relatively new to me is turbo. Now, I know boost comes on demand, but how do you keep out of boost under 3000K? Like, it wouldn't be in boost unless you're hammering it. Right? (Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I've driven N/A's all my life. lol)
Keep your eyes at the RPM and you also need a boost gauge.. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
when ur on boost... speedometer goes up fast, when ur not on boost, speedomenter goes up slowly. easy XD

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
14 Participants
Dethkid_MS6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing