Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer washed her, waxed her and she looks immaculate. I've done so much research and I'm glad I have her. Shes ridiculously more spacious than my old 2000 Mitsu Eclipse. I've decided to name her Bianca. lol.

On to the less boring stuff, as I said, in my very first post, I can't drive stick, and this will be the car I will be learning how to drive in. After spending an hr driving around in an empty lot, I've realized that I can shift, downshift, brake, stop and the whole nine with ZERO problems. My biggest problem...Starting in 1st gear... :70:

The clutch is f***ing impossible with the way it pops out like that. On the ride home, people are saying to try for 1500 RPM's and have a nice and smooth synchronized movement. I try but the clutch just jumps out at me like no bodies business. Something I've read about...and expected...but not to this degree. Eh...:sarc:
Sooo...Long story short, I did pretty well. She is suuuuper quick. But after stalling way too many times to count, I decided to just tow since I was covered by the insurance company anyways. While I stopped by a 7/11 to wait for the tow company came through, my dad wanted to give her a test drive in the lot. Made matters worse, to the point where a bit of blue smoke happened to spew from the engine bay. :swearin:

She'll probably be home in an hour or so and I'll be practicing my ass off when she does. :rolleyes:

Any tips???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clutch pedal can be adjusted with good results - have a good search around and get to know the car.
Blue smoke from where?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@KevMS6 it came shooting from out the engine bay/front tires of sorts. It was a little hard to tell because I was behind the car when my Dad pulled off.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Starting was always the thing I had problems with. Work on it in empty lots a bunch, and when you get it, go on roads that have hills and aren't traveled often. Once you get that, you'll be fine :) it takes practice.

You're already doing better than me though! When I first learned stick, I got pulled over for "stealing a car and driving it while high".

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
@KevMS6 it came shooting from out the engine bay/front tires of sorts. It was a little hard to tell because I was behind the car when my Dad pulled off.

smoke from the wheel wells is from burning the clutch. looks like your dad can't drive a stick either...lol. idk that clutch smoke is blue...but thats what it sounds like.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
A good trick that I've told others when learning how to drive a stick is to kind of dig your heel into the carpet and modulate the clutch with the arch of your foot. IMO it gives you better control.

The new whip looks sweet! Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Be careful,you don't wanna burn the clutch
The offer still stands
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
226 Posts
In your road, or empty parking lot, practice finding the engagement point of the clutch, do this 20-30 times, whitout really "taking off ". You will notice u can even get your car going without touching the gas pedal at all if ur smooth enough

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@YayITzToxic Boy thats rough. lol. Thanks for the compliment though. I hope I can master it in a week.

@6 Y Mazda That was obvious. lol. I mentally know how to drive stick, I just can't execute it well. He said he drove stick over 20 years ago....and well, that was the result. :/
@Mangosmoothie Nope surprisingly. I know a clutch can take some beating, but smoke is never a good sign.
@Jjkalai That actually sounds like a really good idea. I'll give that a try when I'm out next.
@elemento_74 If I can't get it in a week or 2, I'll PM you. I still very much appreciate it bro.
@evolution99 I don't wanna sound like a complete jackass, but could you explain the engagement point to me? It seemed impossible to make it work for me. >_>

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
What evolution is talking about is finding the point where the clutch starts grabbing. When stopped & idling put car in first gear clutch depressed. Foot off the gas & brake.

Start slowly releasing the clutch to get a feel for where in the pedal travel it starts grabbing. This is the sweet spot where u wanna have just a bit of gas to it. You are just getting a feel for the engagement point. It will help.

Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
as you release the clutch REALLY SLOWLY, at some point u will feel the clutch engage( this is the point where u usually give a bit of gas and go. But dont) but just depress the clutch pedal, and repeat. You will then begin to get used to where the "engagement point" is on your clutch pedal.

Edit: oh yeah, and be sure to have it in 1st lol, thx Mr.Smoke

·
Registered
441 Posts
Get in the car,start it up and put it in first.Slowly start to let off the clutch untill you feel the car wanting to move
That's the engagement point

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whatever you do don't stop going up on a hill till you master the clutch.Unless you do the e-brake trick

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Smoke said that well - no throttle, find where it grabs, work on just knocking it off idle by sloooooooooooooowly letting the clutch out but not going anywhere for a couple tries. Thats the "sweet spot".
So when you go to use it, add throttle just past the sweet spot and continue to release the clutch in a smooth manner adding more throttle. That's it.

As a note: uber long slow shifts do not do the manual trans any favors. At speed, shift it and get the clutch out to preserve the integrity of the gear box and clutch. No shift at speed should have the clutch in for more than second or 2 tops.

Have fun and we'll see ya round!

·
Registered
226 Posts
did the smoke look like this haha??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, not too far off. Just a lot less smoke. >_>
I quickly rushed over and told him to put it in neutral, pull the parking break and to get the hell out of my car. lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts