Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my MS6 Titanium grey GT and am loving it (ugg stupid McDonalds catch phrase). The only problem I’ve had is Denver in the last week has had 2 large storms and I have almost stranded my car. I’ve seen some posts on winter tires or summer tires. I was wondering if any one would recommend a good all season performance tire. I’m looking for something that still grips the road nicely but doesn’t turn the car into an oversized metal hockey puck on ice.

And BTW love the forms, the post on folding the back seats down has already been a life saver.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ba-da-ba-da-ba, I'm loving it too!

I would say definitely get dedicated winter tires if you get as much snow as we do. All-seasons = no-seasons. If you think folding the back seat down is a life saver, wait till you get some snow shoes!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just put on the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S a couple of days ago. Getting around fine in the snow now. Would HIGHLY recommend these based on the last few days of snow/slush driving.

Got mine for $137 at a Mazda Dealership which seemed pretty reasonable. These snowstorms are just freaks. Most Denver storms are only a few inches at a time which the all seasons will handle wilthout too many problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had Michelin X-Ice tires put on my stock wheels. They are amazing, and pull effortlessly through snow and ice. The dry handling is pretty wiggly, but I won't be doing much spirited driving 'til I have my summer tires put back on anyways.

These are pretty hardcore winter tires, in their defense, and err to the side of maximum winter handling more than dry performance, which I prefer anyway (I did buy SNOW tires for a reason!).

http://www.michelinman.com/overview/x_ice/3174.html

P.S. If you couldn't tell, I don't live in Vegas anymore!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I guess a second set of tires may be the way to go. Guess ill order some 18inch winter tires.

What part of Denver? There's a few of us on here.
[/b]
I'm in lakewood and parker (move around a lot).

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just put on the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S a couple of days ago. Getting around fine in the snow now. Would HIGHLY recommend these based on the last few days of snow/slush driving.

Got mine for $137 at a Mazda Dealership which seemed pretty reasonable. These snowstorms are just freaks. Most Denver storms are only a few inches at a time which the all seasons will handle wilthout too many problems.
[/b]
I too put on a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S about two weeks ago. I'm in Virginia, so have had no snow, but have driven them on warm dry days and cold wet days. I like them so much that I think I'll keep them on year round. Their directional stability in hard turns is great and they ride well. They have a load index of 93, like the OEM Bridgestones, and they are W speed rated. They are also available in our stock size. I am running them on ASA AR-1 18" wheels with 52mm offset. If they behave in the snow as well as I've heard, they should make a pretty good year-round tire for Denver.
:seeya:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Good to see more Denver Speed6 owners, I'm down in Centennial, we should organize a meet sometime.

Anyway, I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires, that have been great this past week. The only time I had a problem was last week when I left the car parked outside overnight and came out to find it buried in about 3 ft. of snow lol. Even the plow truck got stuck and had to be pulled out about half a dozen times, lol. Aside from that though, the car has been a tank, and to honest with you, I didn't lose nearly as much dry traction as I thought I would have. I'm running 215's on stock 18" wheels (planning on picking up a set of RX-8 wheels in the spring). Anyway rather than getting a set of all-seasons, I would recommend these tires as they're great in the snow, while still taking corners better than you would expect. Just my $.02

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to see more Denver Speed6 owners, I'm down in Centennial, we should organize a meet sometime.

Anyway, I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires, that have been great this past week. The only time I had a problem was last week when I left the car parked outside overnight and came out to find it buried in about 3 ft. of snow lol. Even the plow truck got stuck and had to be pulled out about half a dozen times, lol. Aside from that though, the car has been a tank, and to honest with you, I didn't lose nearly as much dry traction as I thought I would have. I'm running 215's on stock 18" wheels (planning on picking up a set of RX-8 wheels in the spring). Anyway rather than getting a set of all-seasons, I would recommend these tires as they're great in the snow, while still taking corners better than you would expect. Just my $.02
[/b]
I agree on the colorado meets, I'll should be getting my speed6 some time hopefully the first half of january and i'm in the lakewood area as well and once I actually get my speed6 i would love to have some meets.

But for those of us who don't have or want to spend the money on two sets of rims and tires, what's the best all season tires you can suggest?

Although i suppose i could just talk to my uncle (used car dealer) and get jack some rims/snow tires off some little POS on his lot haha.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the serious stuff you get in Denver, hopefully most of the time you can stay home. Obviously dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks are the best, but there is a dry performance tradeoff.

If you don't want to do dedicated winter tires, then check out the Continental Extreme Contacts. They've got a much better snow and ice rating than the PZero Neros. They're available in 225/45-18, which isn't exactly stock, but is close enough. Speedo difference is just over 1%, which is negligible. You need to be sure to get a decent wheel offset so that they don't rub in the back. The Kazera wheels from Tire Rack in 18x7 are cheap enough and have a good offset for the Speed. I have these on Kazera KZ-S wheels and have not had a rubbing issue in the first 5000 miles. They're also $40 per tire cheaper than the Potenza RE960s.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check out the tire forum.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you are in Denver I would go with Dedicated snows esp after the last few storm you all have had sown there. I went with All seasons here in New Engladn, I got the Continental All Seasons Extreme contact. They did well here in the inch of snow and Ice we had here last night. good grip and traction. Stoppingpoer was as good as it can be in snow after all. I made it up my hill of a driveway where as my bro in laws subie slid off it... So I have NO complaints on them at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm, for an all season tire, this tire seems to be getting good reviews on snow and summer roads.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Any one riding on these?
[/b]
I just got a set of these. The stock Potenzas would slip if the temperature dropped below about 40°F, but these keep their traction. In warmer weather, they drive just about the same as the stock tires. They are even better than stock in rainy weather. I haven't been anywhere with snow and ice, so I can't comment on that yet.

The speedometer on my MS6 registered a little fast with the stock size tires (according to road-side radar gun signs, my GPS, and my Scangauge II, which were all in agreement), so the sightly higher diameter of these tires actually corrected the error. (Now I have to set my Scangauge II to a +2% correction factor to match the speedometer and GPS.) They also fill in the wheel well nicely without rubbing using the stock rims, even when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage. And, no, the fenders haven't been "rolled."

The load rating on the RE960AS PP tires is lower than the stock RE050A's, 91 v. 93, so you should consider that when making your decision.

I went with all-season tires instead of winter tires because we don't often get more than light snow on the ground a couple of times a year where I live. I also frequently take trips down south where it can sometimes be nearly 70°F even in January. After 15,000 miles, my stock summer tires were mostly used up anyway, so for me this just made sense.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I agree on the colorado meets, I'll should be getting my speed6 some time hopefully the first half of january and i'm in the lakewood area as well and once I actually get my speed6 i would love to have some meets.

But for those of us who don't have or want to spend the money on two sets of rims and tires, what's the best all season tires you can suggest?

Although i suppose i could just talk to my uncle (used car dealer) and get jack some rims/snow tires off some little POS on his lot haha. [/b]
I've heard pretty good things about the Continental Conti-Extreme's for an all-season, but have never used them myself so I honestly can't say. I've used the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S on my old WRX, but I lived in Texas at the time, and only tested them once in the snow while I was visiting up here in Denver. There was maybe an inch of snow and the car did just fine, however I have no idea how they would have performed in the weather we've been having lately. IMO I think you should consider picking up a set of regular 6 wheels, and getting a dedicated set of winter tires. The smaller diameter wheels, should save you some money when it comes to buying tires, or at least in the long run it will, so you don't have to keep paying people to swap back and forth between tires on stock rims.

As far as having a meet goes, hell yeah I think it's a great idea, check this out:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry885228

1 - 15 of 15 Posts