Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to the dealership to get my first oil change on my new car. Everything goes fine and I'm driving home, stop at a street light and see some smoke coming out from under the hood. I think to myself "some monkey at the dealership probably spilled a little bit and it's burning off, no big deal. I was almost home anyways so I pull into the driveway and am greeted with this:

So I put the cap on, drive all the way back to the dealership, pull into the service area to park (rather briskly I might add, cause I was PISSED). As I get out, my saleswoman (who I don't like very much) happened to be standing there just about to get into a car and she says to me "Bit of a lead foot eh, or is it just the car? :D " I said "No, not really, I'm just pissed off" and then went into the service department.

They got some guy to clean it up, but I guess oil got allover the insulation that goes on the hood so they had to take that off and see if they can get the oil out, or might have to get me a new one. I'm a little dissapointed that they didn't really offer to do anything else. Refund me for the oil change or offer the next one be free. Just a "sorry about that, here's your key".

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So I go to the dealership to get my first oil change on my new car. Everything goes fine and I'm driving home, stop at a street light and see some smoke coming out from under the hood. I think to myself "some monkey at the dealership probably spilled a little bit and it's burning off, no big deal. I was almost home anyways so I pull into the driveway and am greeted with this:

So I put the cap on, drive all the way back to the dealership, pull into the service area to park (rather briskly I might add, cause I was PISSED). As I get out, my saleswoman (who I don't like very much) happened to be standing there just about to get into a car and she says to me "Bit of a lead foot eh, or is it just the car? :D " I said "No, not really, I'm just pissed off" and then went into the service department.

They got some guy to clean it up, but I guess oil got allover the insulation that goes on the hood so they had to take that off and see if they can get the oil out, or might have to get me a new one. I'm a little dissapointed that they didn't really offer to do anything else. Refund me for the oil change or offer the next one be free. Just a "sorry about that, here's your key".
[/b]
Dude, that sucks!!!! I believe the 2nd or 3rd time I've read someone having a similar problem; f'ing dealerships suck!

Personally I'd call back tomorrow and ask for the regional service rep and see if you can get something more out of them. Afterall, they could have fried your motor! I'd be sure to make him acutely aware of that fact, and of your wasted time and oil soaked engine bay.

Good luck!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Dude, that sucks!!!! I believe the 2nd or 3rd time I've read someone having a similar problem; f'ing dealerships suck!

Personally I'd call back tomorrow and ask for the regional service rep and see if you can get something more out of them. Afterall, they could have fried your motor! I'd be sure to make him acutely aware of that fact, and of your wasted time and oil soaked engine bay.

Good luck!
[/b]
+1 You should definitely call someone higher up, like 4wdfun said, it could have caused damage.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's why i don't let the dealershit touch my car, except for warranty work.
[/b]

+1

after waiting around for over 2 hours each of the first two times i have taken my speed6 to the dealer for an oil change, i have decided to do all future oil changes myself. not only do they take up too much of my time, but they hardly do anything on that 10 point check list. the last time i went, i checked and all my tires were at different pressures. not too mention the fact that this type of story is becoming more and more common.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno, I've never been into complaining to get free stuff. But I'm sure I won't have to once my mom sees the driveway.

They're gonna wish it was me calling them :laugh:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've even turned down free oil changes at my dealer, because i'm afraid they would f**k it up. It's just better doing it yourself, so you know it's done right. At least if something happens, there's only one person to blame. :yesnod:

·
Registered
209 Posts
:swearin:

You pay top dollar for quality service at a dealership, and this is what you get? Things like this make me SO MAD! I understand the people at the dealership are only human, and mistakes happen. When they do happen, they need to apologize and make up for the mess. Nothing short of 200% effort is acceptable now. My $0.02:

1) Check the oil level. More than 1 quart down--they warranty every oil lubricated part for as long as you own the car. More than 2 quarts down--they also offer to inspect and replace all damaged oil lubricated parts now.
2) They completely clean up the mess. New parts, if necessary.
3) Make sure they take full responsibility in writing. You don't want this situation to come back to bite you in a warranty situation down the road.
4) They refund your money for this service. They give a free oil change next time to prove they CAN do it right.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, Like they said this is like the 3rd person with this issue. Sorry this happened to ya man, Others have been asking for free extended warrenties, I would do the same.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was SO pissed that I didn't think to check the oil level before I went back there. I doubt that it was low enough to cause damage though, as the oil light was not on.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This is one of the reasons I change my own oil. The other reason is yesterday I had to use a dremel to get a oil filter off a new dodge. Someone screwed it on so tight we couldn't get it off. It was so tight that using the wrench it just crushed the filter. Then jamming a screwdriver in it and it just tore the filter off, leaving the top part still threaded on. We were finally able to get it off and no damage to the vehicle but a 30 minute job ended up taking 4 hours.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really not any cheaper to do it myself.

Even if it was, I'd still take it to the dealership. No way I'm going to take the chance of having them deny warranty claims later because I saved $3 per oil change by doing it myself.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just went out to check the oil and make sure they topped it off after they cleaned it up.

The dip stick came out BONE dry!

This is fucking unbelievable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That sucks bro. Mine is at the dealership as we speak. Not for an oil change though, warranty work.

How much of a PITA is it to change the oil in this car? I haven't looked under it yet. I always changed my MSP's oil from the first change, with Royal Purple.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Question. Does that oil look fresh? Did they even change your oil and filter?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's why i don't let the dealershit touch my car, except for warranty work.
[/b]
I'd be lookin' for another dealer in the area. My wife and I were in Knoxville recently in her Honda Odyssey minivan. It has runflats that require dealer repair or replacement, so we naturally had a flat. I called Airport Honda, and got no satisfaction at all. They left me on hold for over 5 minutes, then offered to replace my tire and wheel. When I asked if they had it in stock---"Well no . . . " I then checked with Rusty Wallace Honda and have never had better service from any dealer, anywhere. Point is---see if you can find a competent service department and then go there. My Mazda dealer does outstanding work. I don't let anyone else touch my car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts