Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 5 hours of work I'm finally finished with the CP-E downpipe install. Be prepaired to do alot straining and cussing while trying to get the damn lower heatsheild bolts, and the lower bolts on the manifold flange.

Overall the install is not really that mechanically difficult, but you have to get into odd cramped places so it is pretty time consuming.
I don't think I would have even attempted the install if I didn't have access to a lift, I guess you could do it, but I would take ALOT longer.

*****I did have some weld splatter in the upper O2 bung that needed to be cleaned out with a tap, so be sure to check yours before you try and install the sensor. It's not a big deal, but it could cause some problems with the O2 sensor threads if you don't clean it out.

I don't have any performance impressions yet(the car is just ideling on the lift right now), but I can say that this thing is LOUD. It's not a little loud it's LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I really think I might have to add a muffler or something.

I'll post up some real driving impressions after the drive home.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've driven about 35 miles with the downpipe on.

Boost comes on like a lightswitch at 3000 rpm in third and just keeps pulling. Floor it at 2500 rpm in 4th and it spikes to 22psi by 3200 and will hold 15 psi to 6000 rpm(didn't try any higher gears as I'm driving on public roads). Once you hit boost in any gear it just takes off. It's like driving a completly different car.

:seeya: :shocked: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My impressions of the CP-E catless downpipe:

It's pretty expensive.
It's a pain in the ass to install.
It's really really REALLY LOUD!

And, It's totally fu#king worth it!!!!!

Wideband goes in tomorrow. I'll post up some WOT AFR's tomorrow night.

*I think I need a boost controller now

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thats great to hear man. Im waiting for mine still. I should have it next week. I wonder is there is gonna be that much of a difference from the catless to the catted because I bought the catted one.(that cat is fvcking small, so maybe it will not make much of a difference)I dont have access to a lift, and I was debating on doing it myself. But after hearing you describe it, I think I will take up the local tuner shops offer of 120.00 to install it. Im glad it came out well for you(lucky bastard). Oh well, maybe I will have mine on by next weekend. post up any more impression you have man.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I ordered the catted version also. Can't wait to have it installed along with my turbosmart boost controller and Defi Boost Gauge. :)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great to hear man. Im waiting for mine still. I should have it next week. I wonder is there is gonna be that much of a difference from the catless to the catted because I bought the catted one.(that cat is fvcking small, so maybe it will not make much of a difference)I dont have access to a lift, and I was debating on doing it myself. But after hearing you describe it, I think I will take up the local tuner shops offer of 120.00 to install it. Im glad it came out well for you(lucky bastard). Oh well, maybe I will have mine on by next weekend. post up any more impression you have man.
[/b]
If any local shops had quoted me $120 for the install I probably would have paid them to do it too. The cheapest I got was $300.

If anyone damages/breaks their upper O2 sensor, I have a brand new replacement sensor that I bought from Sabrina(just incase I messed mine up). I'll sell it to you for exactly what I paid for it and you wont have to wait two weeks for a replacement(I think I bought the last one she had available though?).

I ordered the catted version also. Can't wait to have it installed along with my turbosmart boost controller and Defi Boost Gauge. :)
[/b]
Try and get the shop to hook up your boost gauge on a differnt line than the BOV. I have mine connected at the BOV and the needle jumps around ALOT(3~5psi) in the higher rpms now that I've got the douwnpipe in, I'm going to have to move it.

Let me know what you think of the boost controller, I'm trying to decide which one to buy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, the shop does alot of work on subies and mitsu's so if its as labor intensive as you say. Im sure they will try to bump up the price before its all said and done. I hope not though

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Damn SS, you beat me to it.

Mines on hooked up to the stock exhaust. It's also a catless. How long did it take you to get the stock cat out of there? That had to be the biggest PITA for me , but I was using jacks instead of a lift. I think I'm going to get a custom exhaust on there ASAP, because I honestly beleive that I now have more restriction than my previous set-up (open stock dp with just the one cat and no mufflers). Now that I'm going through the mufflers instead of the cat, I really beleive the mufflers are more restricting than the 1st cat at least. Another downer (for me at least) is that I am now seeing fuel cut with my e-01 on there. Before I had fenagled the settings around to where I never got them. Now, I'm not sure I can get this to stop. I might just throw the stock selenoid back in the picture to avoid this.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I've driven about 35 miles with the downpipe on.

Boost comes on like a lightswitch at 3000 rpm in third and just keeps pulling. Floor it at 2500 rpm in 4th and it spikes to 22psi by 3200 and will hold 15 psi to 6000 rpm(didn't try any higher gears as I'm driving on public roads). Once you hit boost in any gear it just takes off. It's like driving a completly different car.

:seeya: :shocked: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My impressions of the CP-E catless downpipe:

It's pretty expensive.
It's a pain in the ass to install.
It's really really REALLY LOUD!

And, It's totally fu#king worth it!!!!!

Wideband goes in tomorrow. I'll post up some WOT AFR's tomorrow night.

*I think I need a boost controller now
[/b]

Here is the problem, if it does spike to 22 PSI that is not a good thing by any strech of the immagination, as it shows the ECU can control the wastegate enough...

And I am not the type to raise the BS flag, but fuel cut is 19 PSI and its pretty darn accurate...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Here is the problem, if it does spike to 22 PSI that is not a good thing by any strech of the immagination, as it shows the ECU can control the wastegate enough...

And I am not the type to raise the BS flag, but fuel cut is 19 PSI and its pretty darn accurate...
[/b]
I get spikes to 21-22 psi every day in my 'stock' car.

Jason

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Interesting... I could be wrong.... maybe the ECU just doesn't catch it fast enough... but if you take a MBC and set it over 18 you are getting brutal fuel cut....

I'm more interested to see someone who revs the car out to 6700 rpms.... even though the boost plummets as the PCM is opening the wastegate, I'm interested to see if boost picks back up at all (i.e. boost creep..)

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I'm surprised it's so loud. Putting a catless downpipe on my STI didn't really change the noise much at all, and the stock downpipe is basically a flat-flange with a straw. The stocker on the Mazdaspeed is much better.

I wonder if it's because you have an aftermarket exhaust. I bet it'd still be quiet with the stock catback. Perhaps a resonator would help?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wonder if it's because you have an aftermarket exhaust. I bet it'd still be quiet with the stock catback. Perhaps a resonator would help?
[/b]

Definitely adding a ton of sound due to the catless dp and CPE catback. THe CPE catback is not quiet as it is, let alone removing all restrictions.

Great reviews though, looking forward to some more install tips!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn SS, you beat me to it.

Mines on hooked up to the stock exhaust. It's also a catless. How long did it take you to get the stock cat out of there? That had to be the biggest PITA for me , but I was using jacks instead of a lift. I think I'm going to get a custom exhaust on there ASAP, because I honestly beleive that I now have more restriction than my previous set-up (open stock dp with just the one cat and no mufflers). Now that I'm going through the mufflers instead of the cat, I really beleive the mufflers are more restricting than the 1st cat at least. Another downer (for me at least) is that I am now seeing fuel cut with my e-01 on there. Before I had fenagled the settings around to where I never got them. Now, I'm not sure I can get this to stop. I might just throw the stock selenoid back in the picture to avoid this.
[/b]
I couldn't stand looking at the DP in the box, I had to get it put on :laugh:.

Removing the stock precat was really easy on the lift, took mabey 5 minutes after I had lowered the engine. I had a harder time removing the bolts on the lower heatshield.

[/b]
It hits 22 psi any time I floor it about 3000 rpm(from off boost) in any gear.
I'm going to get a boost controller just so I can try and get rid of the spike.

·
Registered
795 Posts
SS do you really think that it gives 40hp???? im sure it must be around that....

cant wait to get mine as well

·
Registered
987 Posts
Interesting... I could be wrong.... maybe the ECU just doesn't catch it fast enough... but if you take a MBC and set it over 18 you are getting brutal fuel cut....

I'm more interested to see someone who revs the car out to 6700 rpms.... even though the boost plummets as the PCM is opening the wastegate, I'm interested to see if boost picks back up at all (i.e. boost creep..)
[/b]
When I got fuel cut after tweaking my MBC it only happened around 4-4.5k rpms. I had boost over 20 from 2.5-4ish. I think the ECU cuts fuel at a certain rpm over 18-19 psi.

Make sure you guys with the DP keep track of your miles and how you're driving. I'm wanted to keep track of who get's CELs when and why. Also, put up some VIDS!!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wiggum when my car was stock witht he boost gauge i hit 20 psi for a sec with no fuel cut. But with my ebc i hit 19 for a milla sec and the "brutal fuel cut" happens." it scares the shiiit out me too. I wonder why that is? I dont know much about turbos so im not even gonna try to post why it does cut the stock but it will cut the ebc, mbc

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SS do you really think that it gives 40hp???? im sure it must be around that....

cant wait to get mine as well
[/b]

I don't know how to judge the HP increase, but it is very very noticabe in every gear. I wouldn't doubt it added 30~40 hp in the top end.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't know how to judge the HP increase, but it is very very noticabe in every gear. I wouldn't doubt it added 30~40 hp in the top end.
[/b]
ok nice , good to know !! post up a video if you can .

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just wasted about 3 hours installing my wideband setup, and then another hour ripping everything out when the damn gauge didn't work. I'm going to have to send it back and get a replacement.

To add to the bad news got a MIL on the way home. I only made it 50.7 miles before It threw a P0139 O2 sensor slow responce code :( . I was hoping to make it a little longer than that.

·
Registered
167 Posts

[/b]

Wiggum,

My car is basically stock (CAI & BOV) and my boost peaks @ 1.5 Bar (21.75 psi) drops to 1.1 Bar(15.9 psi) @ 5500 rpm then .5 Bar (7 psi) @ about 5800-6000 rpm. I've got the AEM CAI, HKS BOV and a Defi BF Boost Gauge and the Defi Gauge controller. Computer hasn't been touched, still has the stock programming.

Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts