Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im just getting back from a quick (10 mile) test drive in the first Performance white 6 s in North Texas (or so they told me). I admit, I am impressed and have to concur with everything that has been written about the car. Its good looking, pretty quick, sounds great and handles great. I would love to have taken it home, but two things I couldnt get past....

First off, the car was auto. Ive never had an automatic, and at 26, Im not ready for one yet. Secondly, the sales manager was a prick. He told me the car was selling for $1500 over sticker and that getting a stick would be "next to impossible." Im not sure how true that is and it really doesnt matter, since I wouldnt buy anything from them now. I refuse to pay over sticker for ANY car, no matter how bad I might want it.

Great car, but apparently its going to be a few more weeks before I snag one :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Just drove my car'

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your test drive with the new 6 Silva.

Does your nick imply that you are currently having a Nissan Silva 1.8 Turbo by any chance?

I used to have a Nissan 200SX you see, loved that car and it's every thirsty 1.8 170 HP engine. It was so fast indeed.

Anyways I am 30 and if I could chose for an automatic tranmission I would go for it. The only reason that held me back when I wanted the Sport was that the 2.0 litre only comes with a silly 4 gear AT. The sportswagon comes with a 5speed AT if you take the active version.

Dunno how that is in the States though. Perhaps you would even have to pay more if you wanted to drive a stick shift 6?

Looking forward to your comments.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your test drive with the new 6 Silva.

Does your nick imply that you are currently having a Nissan Silva 1.8 Turbo by any chance?

I used to have a Nissan 200SX you see, loved that car and it's every thirsty 1.8 170 HP engine. It was so fast indeed.

Anyways I am 30 and if I could chose for an automatic tranmission I would go for it. The only reason that held me back when I wanted the Sport was that the 2.0 litre only comes with a silly 4 gear AT. The Sportbreak comes with a 5speed AT if you take the active version.

I can imagine that you would never want to buy a car $1500 over sticker (thinking at least that you mean that you have to pay 1500 bucks because everyone wants one right?)

Dunno how that is in the States though. Perhaps you would even have to pay more if you wanted to drive a stick shift 6?

Looking forward to your comments.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Thanks for the review Silva 6s. And good for you about not wanting to deal with that dealer. A lot of dealers act like there doing YOU a favor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by ^Panther^

Looking forward to your comments.[/b]
Actually 'Silva' is the way most of my southern neighbors would pronounce 'silver' which is the color 6 that I want :)

Im going to assume that if Mazda is anything like Nissan was last year when they introduced the V6 Altima, manuals will be hard to come by, at first anyway. I certainly hope there isnt a premium charged at any other dealerships around here. If so, I will either head over to the closest Bimmer dealer and pick up what I originally wanted (a 325i sport) or simply wait a few months until the feeding frenzy dies down. The 2nd choice is going to be hard though.

·
Registered
53 Posts

If so, I will either head over to the closest Bimmer dealer and pick up what I originally wanted (a 325i sport) or simply wait a few months until the feeding frenzy dies down. The 2nd choice is going to be hard though.

That is what I so very much like about Japanese cars. They are not so widely known as BMW's and GM's or Mercedesses. It makes the cars unique in their own way.

Right now I am driving with another 100 people a Mazda6 in a country where we have around 5.5 million cars.

Every time I stop at a traffic light, people stop and glare to take a peek of my new 6.

That and the friendly way the dealers are treating you whenever you visit them makes it for me clear that I would never go for a BMW or any other german car.

Just my humble opinion though. :))

With a BMW you would never get that feeling I guess.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I think there is a fundamental difference between how Americans and Europeans view different cars.

In America, BMW, M-B, Audi, Jaguar are all cars that to us cost more because of their status. All in all, we Americans are very concerned with our status in life (in case you couldn't tell ;) ) and to us, if everything else was the same, most people would think that a car with a BMW badge is better than something from Japan or the US simply because it is a BMW. And we pay for it too. Don't get me wrong, BMW's are very fine automobiles, but when you really dig deep, the 3 series is nothing more than a really well built and fine tuned automobile, and there are some really well built and fine tuned automobiles from Japan, but they just don't cut it for many folks.

However, in Europe (and I could be wrong as I'm not European) it seems that you don't put as much emphasis on BMW's, Jaguar's, etc status factor. To you, they are more of "just another car" as anything from Japan or the US. Do I have that correct? It just seems that many Europeans think the 6 is a superior car to the 3 series, and I noticed many European magazines have BMW's towards the middle to bottom of their comparison tests. In the US, if a BMW ever gets 2nd in a comparison, it is a big deal. I think part of the reason we think BMWs can't be beat is because of the panache behind the BMW name, regardless of whether or not it truly is a better car.

I guess what I'm saying is that while many Europeans would consider the 6 a superior car, there are many in the US who, if they have the money, wouldn't even think twice about mentioning the 3 series and the 6 in the same sentence, because to many Americans the best Japanese car ever made simply cannot be better than a fine European automobile.

·
Registered
355 Posts

To Jerome81...

Just a short note (as an European). All the car brands you listed are European cars, and that might make many Europeans more critical over them - or something...

But as much I know my neighbours, most of them would buy Mercedes or BMW, just because it is Mercedes... "Oh Lord would you buy me a Mercedes Benz...".

But somehow there seems to be more of Mazda6 fans in this site than anything else, and don't have to wonder why.

Oh yeah, and about my neighbours... They are mostly around 55 to 75, and that's what I happen to think is the biggest consumer age group for the Mercedes... But they do have also designs for younger (?) people??? But for some reason most of the ones I could consider cost hundreds of thousands, like BMW Z8, I wouldn't mind owning that - but who could afford that - nobody I know - never ever even seen one in traffic... OR JAGUAR XK8 - OH MAN - That's still my dream car - but look at the price tag!!! About 130 000 eur/usd in Finland. I can get almoust 5 new Mazda6 with spices and some bananas on top of that. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts

Forgot to mention...

The people I DO KNOW who could afford those cars drive Ferrari...
What's up with that? :p

·
Registered
63 Posts

it is easy to make a so called "luxury car" by throwing high quality leather and some fancy electronics into it. While most of us "normal driver" will not even bother what it is in the car or how much body roll or understeer, oversteer when we're driving it. The "6" definitely satisfies most of us who want the style and handling of luxury car without luxury car price tag!

do we bother the extra fancy stuff?
if you bother, shell out another 10k and you will get those fancy thing you dont even need!
Brandname, it's just a vanity thing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah ha!

So, apparently there wasnt a massive flock of customers down to the dealership to pick up the 6 I drove yesterday. The dealer called (3 times) and told me I could have it at sticker price after all.

I have until 5pm to decide if I want the auto, or want to wait one month for a stick.

Decisions, decisions :(

·
Registered
53 Posts

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh exciting times indeed.

Have you made up your mind yet?

Funny how fast the dealer is dropping that $1500 less story all of a sudden?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Not sure if people really care, but i think i'll spit this out there anyways. I'm custom ordering a Mazda6, which still meets the MazdaUSA guidelines for packaging. In the car i'm ordering, i'm getting:

6i automatic transmission
premium package
sport package
Bose audio package
autodim mirror and compass
casette deck
all-weather floor mats

The MSRP (that includes destination but nothing else) is $22,605 US.

I did all of my dealing online, and had two dealerships competing for my business. Anyways, i got the one dealership to get me this same car at a price of $21,000 (including destination); so an out the door price of $22,000 even (including destination, title, tags, taxes, and processing fee).

In other words, i'm actually getting the car well below MSRP, so it is possible. The best thing about all of it was that i didn't even face a dealer in the process. I just sent them questions and prices back and forth until the one dealership couldn't beat the others price. And the best thing about it was that i have it all in writing and paper so they can't jack me and quote me another price.

Another thing of note, and i'm currently working on this, and will let ya'll know what i find out. My dad has been a member of Price Costco for a long time, and it seems they sell cars (kinda) as well. If you go to www.pricecostco.com and click on services then auto sales i believe, you can check it out. But pretty much they have a deal with certain dealerships (maybe one in your area if you get lucky); where they have specific Costco pricing. Not sure what that price is yet, since the car hasn't been released, but will keep all posted. Hey, it's worth a shot...it sure couldn't hurt.

All in all, i just want ya'll to know, that you don't have to pay sticker!

-Yasir

V

·
0 Posts

which dealership did you go to? live in morth texas but don't know which dealership have them

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

not sure if that question was for me....but i'm actually in Northern Virginia area, so it doesn't help out the texas folk....sorry guys. FOr anyone else in Northern VA or that area, Rosenthal Arlington Mazda has the deal with Price Costco, and the dealerships i had competing for my business were Rosenthal Tysons Mazda and Browns Fairfax Mazda. Rosenthal Tysons won out in the end. Still waiting on the quote from Arlington Mazda.

-yasir

·
Registered
53 Posts

Originally posted by imammy

autodim mirror and compass

-Yasir[/b]
Wow I never thought it would be possible to order one of those? Although the Fords have these autodim mirrors for quite some time now.

Does anyone have a picture on the auto dim feature?

Would love to get my hands on one of those.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Thanks a million for pointing me out to the link Hieppo.

I have just emailed my dealer and sent him the picture with the self dimming mirror option.

Let's see what our dutch importer has to say for this.

Can't wait and will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Hey could you tell me how you think the v6 drove with the auto? I am worried about the speed of the auto and would like a first hand review. I drove a new v6 accord, loaded it came to 26400. The dealer said he wouldnt deal on it, but msrp for a first year car isint that bad. Im sure i could get some off the sticker. Anyways, the accord is pretty fast, and wondered if you think they could compare.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Im in california and my dealer has found the ideal 6s in MANUAL tranny for me, with less than a day looking. So don't fret... I doubt the manual tranny version is "next to impossible" to find in other states.

I hate most car salesmen. My wife and I bought a P5 from one dealer.... we test drove the car five months prior, the guys was awesome. The dealership was out of our way but what did we do when we were ready to buy? We went back to him. And I'm going back to him for my 6s. Go figure.

-Alt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts