Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming from an '02 svt focus with all the bolt ons and coilovers. I just bought my mazda 6 and I absolutely love it! I have the auto tranny 6 speed and the manual mode option. This thing feels really quick, much more torque than my svt and it seems to be quicker as well. Any ideas what the 6 runs in the 1/4? What do you think my first modifications should be? Does someone make headers, or is there a reflash that ups the torque and cleans up the a/f ratios?? This is my daily driver and I just want a cruiser with the occasionaly spirited drive.

·
Registered
978 Posts
well first of all, congrats on your purchase and glad you're enjoying it.

it may be helpful to know what engine you have and what options are already on your car. for most of us with a limited budget, modding a car is a question of priorities that no one but yourself can answer. mods for looks, performance, or enhancing reliability are all options. plus, there is a wide range of prices available for mods which you may or may not be able/willing to spend.

the best thing for you to do at this point would be to look around this site and see what's available. many members have done the hard part for you...figuring out which mod would work with our car, documenting it (often with pictures that show how to do it), and sharing it with the community. but I'll warn you now...there are a lot of very nice 6's on this site that you may want to try to emulate, and this will cost you a lot of time and money. but if this gets you closer to your ideal car, maybe this isn't a bad thing.

welcome to the club and hope this site helps you improve your car!

·
Registered
900 Posts
It depends on what you want to spend, but a cold air intake is a must for a first mod!!! Good intake: AEM CAI, $230; great intake: CP-E CAI with MAF modifier, $540.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
the 6s with auto tranny should cover the 1/4 mile somewhere in the mid to high 15s.

i agree with raptor x, i just installed my cai so my next mod is going to be springs.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Does the CP-E intake really add 20whp?? That is crazy, right?
[/b]
It's not just an intake. The MAFci is a kit that includes the induction pipe and an AF tune.

IMHO, you should wait until you're through with the break in period before working under the hood. Knowing what I know now, I would've changed my tires first, learned how the car behaves stock, then go from there depending on where I felt the car needs help be it the suspension, power, etc.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah, think of the cpe intake as a two for one deal.

Does someone make headers, or is there a reflash that ups the torque and cleans up the a/f ratios?? This is my daily driver and I just want a cruiser with the occasionaly spirited drive.
[/b]
CPE also makes headers for the 6. And they have a non-tunable or tunable customizer for the a/f ratios. Unichip also can be used for a/f ratios and more. But its a little more expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
im all about utilizing the power you have and putting the most control on it, my first mods were a lightened flywheel and clutch from exedy. every1 on here seems to promote the clutchmasters setup. im perfectly pleased with my exedy though. i might be selling my six but if not the next upgrades will be the cpe headers with an an exhaust kit, if you go to www.therpmstore.com youll find some pics of the current header and exhaust system which is terrible. has lots of bends to create back pressure to reduce emissions. so after i open that up ill be going with the cpe cai with af tuner, i also have 18" bronze work emotions CR on the way. i also made the switch to toyo proxes4 when i got a new set of tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My first mods were tinted windows, window vents, then the CPE CAI w/ MAF and CPE engine mount. I will be installing some black Euros shortly and post some pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts