Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on labor day I finally got the deal I was looking for, and traded my truck in on a Whitewater Pearl Speed 6 Sport :drive:
When I took delivery, I asked the salesman if it had a full tank of gas. He said yes. Then I said "93 Octane, right?" And after a brief pause and stupid expression, he replied "Yes, I filled it myself!"

I've been babying it, occasionally goosing the throttle a tad up to 4k, but not past 4k. Yesterday I couldn't resist and floored it and shifted hard from 2nd to 3rd gear (still shifting at 4k), and for a half second after changing gears the engine felt like it completely shut off, then the power gradually kicked in and it accelerated. It didn't feel like 200+ horsepower, though it did feel stronger than my wife's 6i.

I've been wondering if it has too low octane fuel in it, then today after work I filled it up with 93 - putting in a quarter of a tank. As soon as I left the gas station it felt like I had way more power. I'm not going to drive it hard at all until I run another tank of gas or two through it, but what else should I do?

Would the 87 octane gas during the first 100 miles on the car do any minor damage to the engine? I know it won't detonate today tomorrow or the next day, but what if the dealer screw up costs me 50,000 miles or more in overall longevity of this engine? What recourse (or proof) would I have?

I had a great experience buying this car, but it's just too bad salesmen don't learn more about the cars they sell.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm not going to drive it hard at all until I run another tank of gas or two through it, but what else should I do?

Would the 87 octane gas during the first 100 miles on the car do any minor damage to the engine? I know it won't detonate today tomorrow or the next day, but what if the dealer screw up costs me 50,000 miles or more in overall longevity of this engine? What recourse (or proof) would I have?

I had a great experience buying this car, but it's just too bad salesmen don't learn more about the cars they sell.
[/b]
Nothing

Not likely - that is why it has knock sensors. In your case sounds like you have the super sensitive ECU version and need a flash anyway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my build date / VIN is included in the recall, and I don't see any markings under the hood.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
That sucks, cause knock sensors don't prevent knock- they just respond to it already happening. But all engine management systems nowadays try to push the vehicle to the verge of knock and then back off a little, so I guess that's nothing to be alarmed over.

Anyway, just stay off boost for a tank and you'll be fine. The octane (resistance to combustion) is only helpful under high boost. Off-boost, even 87 octane is more than enough.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Just like stretch said, stay off the boost, drive it easy... let the gas get very low and then fill her up with 93+...

You are not going to damage your engine... don't worry...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
just brought a Mazdaspeed and I think the deal filled it up with his NUT JUICES!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just like stretch said, stay off the boost, drive it easy... let the gas get very low and then fill her up with 93+...

You are not going to damage your engine... don't worry...
[/b]
Staying off boost is no easy task! Anyway same thing happened to me. I couldn't wait for the whole tank of 87 to run through so I filled it with 93 at half a tank. It ran a lot better. If you can get 95 octane, you'd get it up to 91 which is all they get in a lot of states.

·
Registered
795 Posts
me i say go back to your dealer and ask him to show you the bill the he really filled with 93!! if not then he owes you a tank of 93!!

same thing happened to me !! but i kicked it as soon as i left the dealer and i went back 10 min later i said are you kidding me , if that car is 280 hp im blind LLOLL he goes yeh we made a mistake here 40$ for gaz !!

so try that :yesnod:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of a deal did you get?
[/b]
I prolly should post this in the pricing thread instead, but it was blue book value on my trade in, and $22 +TTL for the car. I know some folks have gotten better deals, but I got what I needed. Except for 93 octane gas that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts