Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im as nooby as you can get when it comes to installing headlights. I have never messed with them before on any car i have owned. And i just wanted to know is there a write up on how to install these.

My guess is these steps.

Remove grill.
Remove Bumper unfortunately....
headlight slides out from there...
then what??

is the headlight glued with anything like the bumper or the fender at all.

if there is already a write up that i didnt see when i searched please give that to me.

( i will be installing the PIAA 1157 XTREME white in place for the orange stock bulb )

·
Registered
814 Posts
Unless I'm totally missing something, which I could be...that bulb is inserted from the back of the headlight, in the engine bay, no need to start removing stuff. And those bulbs pop right out, unlike the H3 bulbs which have a little metal latch and the H1 which has that and about 2 cm of work space. You will see a big plastic handle looking thing behind the light about 2 inches from the fender when the hood is open, its grey...twist it and congratulate.

next get some new H1 and H3 bulbs!

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Yeah, no removing bumpers needed. Unless you have gigantor hands. then you have more problems than just changing bulbs :p

Seriously, the drivers side is a cinch, especially if you already have a CAI. BUT for the passengers side, you may need to remove just the 3...yes I said 3, 10MM bolts on the coolant resevoir and push it aside, IF you need more room to work.

Good luck and post pics of the finished product! Actually do a "before" and "after" to get the full effect :p

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok,,, so how do i get the old bulb out though??? ahh hold on goin to pop the hood in my car =X

ok well i just popped the hood and im still more confused than ever. It looks like from my view im going to have to remove at least the grill to get in there?? or that plastic piece.... ehh

no write ups huh.

EDIT: i have small hands, i just have no clue how to get to the actual bulb in the car.
If you can guide me to that im sure it will work fine.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
On the back of the headlight you see a rectangular cover that unclips and comes off. Once thats done you'll see a plastic tab sticking out that you twist and remove. the bulb is attacheds to that. Grill is definitely not in the way of anything.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Alright for each side. If your looking at the headlight housing from in front of ur car, the bulb you are replacing is the one next to the low beam and the low beam is on the outside. So 2nd bulb in. Now pop ur hood and look down and you will understand what you will need to take out. The piece is like half an oval that you are twisting. It is solid black and relatively thin. Just turn in 1/4 and it will just pull out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
its not behind anything, let me get the pics the red arrows point to the thing you must twist and pull. the happy face is you when its all done. :)

how it looks pulled out, put it back in carefully.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slapstick, u da man.

THat was simple, didnt realize it was that ez.

haha to even think i was gonna take the bumper and grill off =)

·
Registered
814 Posts
slapstick, u da man.

THat was simple, didnt realize it was that ez.

haha to even think i was gonna take the bumper and grill off =)
[/b]
No prob man...you were scaring me there for a sec. :D

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Omg. Please when that in doubt stop by your local mechanic and have him poit it out. Please dont hurt yourself or your new bulbs.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why cant people just read the manual? New cars Do come with those...

·
Registered
476 Posts
post pics :)
[/b]
I will, it is in section 8-45...
I mean really. some people rely on others WAY too much...

·
Registered
476 Posts
owners manuals suck...

They have an index and all but its not so detailed.
[/b]
WTF are you talking about it is as clear as day! How about THINKING OR READING before posting a thread or posting on others threads... how old are you 16!?

·
Registered
149 Posts
well 16 years old and 32 days if u wanna be exact.
[/b]
Hey give the kid credit for asking, I'm sure his dad woulda kicked his ass if he found his car with the bumper, grill and god knows what else all over the floor! You musta been a good boy this year to get this kinda car. when santa comes with mods for your whip @ Christmas u better make sure you have someone else do the install! (nice choice of 1157s though) i have them and they look great

1 - 20 of 28 Posts