Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Black on Black MS6 GT with Nav from MazdaSouth here in Austin, had 52 miles when I drove off 2 days ago. Has about 200 now. The thing is I had their demo with like 5K miles on it for 2 solid days previous (they were REALLY trying to get me to buy so they let me keep in overnight 2 nights!) and that seems to have more power than the one I bought. My car has had the power loss TSB service and I watched them fill it with 93 Super (though the valet started to put 89 in it!) so I know it's not a lack of octane. Could it just be that it's breaking in? I still haven't pushed it over 5500rpm since I'm still well shy of 500 miles, but the boost from 2500 to 5000 is not what is was in their demonstrator. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just bought a Black on Black MS6 GT with Nav from MazdaSouth here in Austin, had 52 miles when I drove off 2 days ago. [/b]
Does it have the latest upgrade?

Hey, did you do better than $7k off MSRP? :drive:

·
Registered
967 Posts
I just bought a Black on Black MS6 GT with Nav from MazdaSouth here in Austin, had 52 miles when I drove off 2 days ago. Has about 200 now. The thing is I had their demo with like 5K miles on it for 2 solid days previous (they were REALLY trying to get me to buy so they let me keep in overnight 2 nights!) and that seems to have more power than the one I bought. My car has had the power loss TSB service and I watched them fill it with 93 Super (though the valet started to put 89 in it!) so I know it's not a lack of octane. Could it just be that it's breaking in? I still haven't pushed it over 5500rpm since I'm still well shy of 500 miles, but the boost from 2500 to 5000 is not what is was in their demonstrator. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
[/b]
Their demo probably didn't have the reflash. That "power" you felt in the demo may have been due to the "spike" in boost that others have dyno proven here on the boards. Before the reflash there is a boost spike that's rather abrupt and it gives a rush of power feeling. After the flash, the boost is more linear and there is no spike, but the power remains the same. Once again, dyno proven by folks on these boards. When I test drove my MS6 I felt that spike and I was pushed back into the seat. After I had the reflash completed, I'm not slammed back into the seat anymore and the power is still there, just refined. Others loved that spike and that's a big part of the complaint about the reflash.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have the latest upgrade?

Hey, did you do better than $7k off MSRP? :drive:
[/b]
Yup, latest TSB reflash, they did that at the end of July and showed me the print out. As far as better than 7K off, nope. listed for $32535, paid $25535 before TT&L, still a hell of a deal for a sweet ride! I challenge anyone to find a car with this power, AWD and nav for anywhere close to this price, won't happen :)

Their demo probably didn't have the reflash. That "power" you felt in the demo may have been due to the "spike" in boost that others have dyno proven here on the boards. Before the reflash there is a boost spike that's rather abrupt and it gives a rush of power feeling. After the flash, the boost is more linear and there is no spike, but the power remains the same. Once again, dyno proven by folks on these boards. When I test drove my MS6 I felt that spike and I was pushed back into the seat. After I had the reflash completed, I'm not slammed back into the seat anymore and the power is still there, just refined. Others loved that spike and that's a big part of the complaint about the reflash.
[/b]
Ah, that might explain it, that demo definitely pushed you back in the seat, especialy on the highway from like 50-100. This car is still fast, just not with the "thump" I really came to love. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
that's a great deal. what other options? roof?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yup, latest TSB reflash, they did that at the end of July and showed me the print out. As far as better than 7K off, nope. listed for $32535, paid $25535 before TT&L, still a hell of a deal for a sweet ride! I challenge anyone to find a car with this power, AWD and nav for anywhere close to this price, won't happen :)
Ah, that might explain it, that demo definitely pushed you back in the seat, especialy on the highway from like 50-100. This car is still fast, just not with the "thump" I really came to love. Thanks for the input!
[/b]
So you did get $7k off MSRP!

Kokopellian is probably right on target. I have test driven the NOT re-flashed MS6 it has some kick (lag) but much less than my MR2 Turbo that I used to have. At first I thought it was much slower than MR2 because the kick just was not as abrubt. However, later in the test drive I realized that I was simply missing the kick and that it was probably marginally faster than my old MR2 (that was supposed to do about 6 secs (0-60) bone stock). Similarly, if the reflash lowers the degree of the kick, then the reflashed car may simply "feel" slower.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's a great deal. what other options? roof?
[/b]
Just the Nav and wheel locks, only one they had with Nav and sunroof had the black on white leather, which I personally don't like. They were trying to sell me on adding a auto-dimming rearview, but I passed - like the line from one of the greatest car movies of all time The Gumball Rally

"What's behind me doesn't concern me", and proceeds to rip off the rear-view mirror - heh :)

So you did get $7k off MSRP!

Kokopellian is probably right on target. I have test driven the NOT re-flashed MS6 it has some kick (lag) but much less than my MR2 Turbo that I used to have. At first I thought it was much slower than MR2 because the kick just was not as abrubt. However, later in the test drive I realized that I was simply missing the kick and that it was probably marginally faster than my old MR2 (that was supposed to do about 6 secs (0-60) bone stock). Similarly, if the reflash lowers the degree of the kick, then the reflashed car may simply "feel" slower.
[/b]
Yeah, I got 7K off, just not better than 7K :)

I think Koko is right, too. That makes sense and the power does seem to come on more linear now than the demo I was driving. Don't get me wrong, it's still fast. Just after driving the demo for 2 days I got used to that THUMP of boost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Could it just be that it's breaking in? I still haven't pushed it over 5500rpm since I'm still well shy of 500 miles, but the boost from 2500 to 5000 is not what is was in their demonstrator. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
[/b]
It's just you. You are getting used to feeling the power.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's just you. You are getting used to feeling the power.
[/b]
Heh, maybe a little of that, too :)

So on another note, I accidentally hit the rev-limiter today (Doh!) playing around with a SVT Focus (I know, no competition, but he got a jump on me so I -- read my ego -- had to smoke him). I'm wondering if that's bad being I just edged past 250 miles on the motor and had been keeping it below 5500 prior to that snafu .

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You have to let her rip more often! :)

read this. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And then have fun. Btw hard breakin does not mean dog the crap out of it. 70-80% throttle to various rpm ranges.

Wish my state had anything more then 91 (atleast easily attainable), else the speed6 would be next on my list. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to let her rip more often! :)

read this. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And then have fun. Btw hard breakin does not mean dog the crap out of it. 70-80% throttle to various rpm ranges.

Wish my state had anything more then 91 (atleast easily attainable), else the speed6 would be next on my list. :)
[/b]
Great article, thanks! Yeah, we get 93 here in Texas - gotta luv it :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/b]
Hmmm, I think there is still power loss, unless the reflash lowers overall output. I just got back from a drive and here are my thoughts:

For those of you in Austin, you may be familiar with Hairy Man road in Round Rock. When I turn off Great Oaks onto Hairyman and head east toward Round Rock, I was able to hit about 90 before the 1st corner in the Demo. I did it today with 100% throttle (though was short shifting at about 6K) and hit about 75. I don't think the short shift can account for a 15mph variance. I really think there is still a power loss compared to the demo I was driving those 2 days. In the demo, I'd shift at the power peak (5500) and was able to achieve those speeds. In this one I'm passing the peak HP point and still not getting there. Am I crazy, or should I have the dealer take a look? I'd hate to think there is an issue already - a bit concerning...

Also, there seems to be a new bubbling sound, like bleed-off from the turbo, when cruising between 2K and 2500 rpm. Anyone else heard this? It's almost inaudible, more like you "feel" it than hear it. sigh....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
put some race gas in it. helps alot!

that bubbling sound - i think this is the first time anyones mentioned this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
* * *That "power" you felt in the demo may have been due to the "spike" in boost that others have dyno proven here on the boards. * * *Once again, dyno proven by folks on these boards. [/b]
do you have the link to the before and after "dyno proven" threads? i must have missed this, even though i have been waiting for months....

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hmmm, I think there is still power loss, unless the reflash lowers overall output. I just got back from a drive and here are my thoughts:

For those of you in Austin, you may be familiar with Hairy Man road in Round Rock. When I turn off Great Oaks onto Hairyman and head east toward Round Rock, I was able to hit about 90 before the 1st corner in the Demo. I did it today with 100% throttle (though was short shifting at about 6K) and hit about 75. I don't think the short shift can account for a 15mph variance. I really think there is still a power loss compared to the demo I was driving those 2 days. In the demo, I'd shift at the power peak (5500) and was able to achieve those speeds. In this one I'm passing the peak HP point and still not getting there. Am I crazy, or should I have the dealer take a look? I'd hate to think there is an issue already - a bit concerning...

Also, there seems to be a new bubbling sound, like bleed-off from the turbo, when cruising between 2K and 2500 rpm. Anyone else heard this? It's almost inaudible, more like you "feel" it than hear it. sigh....
[/b]
That's weird, 15mph drop of is a helluvalot. Were you driving it the same way? Same gear, amount of fuel, no passengers, DSC on/off, etc.? If it was identically set up, have your dealer take a look at it for sure. Or as someone suggested, put some high quality gas in it.

do you have the link to the before and after "dyno proven" threads? i must have missed this, even though i have been waiting for months....
[/b]
Go to the dyno and track threads and do a search. They're in there. :) Dyno's posted, discussion and everything.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's weird, 15mph drop of is a helluvalot. Were you driving it the same way? Same gear, amount of fuel, no passengers, DSC on/off, etc.? If it was identically set up, have your dealer take a look at it for sure. Or as someone suggested, put some high quality gas in it.
Go to the dyno and track threads and do a search. They're in there. :) Dyno's posted, discussion and everything.
[/b]
Back from the 3 day weekend, put another couple hundred on the car and I think I may have figured it out. I'm betting that the dealer had orginally put 87 in it (who knows how much) and then topped it off with 93 when told them it NEEDS 93 right before I drove off.

I'm thinking this as I filled up with 93 at Shell this morning on the way home and the power seems to be back 100%, or close to it. I wouldn't doubt that they'd put 1/2 tank of 87 in when they got it (those valets seem unable to read a filler cap!) and they completed the fill up with 93 once I signed on the dotted line and had bitched at them.

So a mix of 87 and 93 would likley give you 89-90 octane max, below Mazda's stated minimum of 91, hence the power drop and 15mph off that straight on hairyman road.

At any rate, no complaints any longer, power's back and enjoying the car even more! Close to 500 miles now and coated the front wheels with a nice sheen of brake-dust from the high-speed decel this weekend :) Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
275 Posts
.. Close to 500 miles now and coated the front wheels with a nice sheen of brake-dust from the high-speed decel this weekend :) Thanks for all the input!
[/b]
LOL. Get used to that brake dust, even when you're driving like you just left the put put golf course.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Back from the 3 day weekend, put another couple hundred on the car and I think I may have figured it out. I'm betting that the dealer had orginally put 87 in it (who knows how much) and then topped it off with 93 when told them it NEEDS 93 right before I drove off.

I'm thinking this as I filled up with 93 at Shell this morning on the way home and the power seems to be back 100%, or close to it. I wouldn't doubt that they'd put 1/2 tank of 87 in when they got it (those valets seem unable to read a filler cap!) and they completed the fill up with 93 once I signed on the dotted line and had bitched at them.

So a mix of 87 and 93 would likley give you 89-90 octane max, below Mazda's stated minimum of 91, hence the power drop and 15mph off that straight on hairyman road.

At any rate, no complaints any longer, power's back and enjoying the car even more! Close to 500 miles now and coated the front wheels with a nice sheen of brake-dust from the high-speed decel this weekend :) Thanks for all the input!
[/b]
Another variation of the idiot dealer sendoff I received in S.A. Definitely seems like the most likely scenario. Even though my idiot dealer did the same thing and pulled some other shenanigans, I am so glad I didn't buy at Mazda South. Between telling me I owed it to them to buy there after a little email traffic, selling that other guy an extended warranty for $2500 (?), and (most likely) giving you 87 octane after the car has been out this long, I will avoid them at all costs. Anyway, sorry to piggyback on your thread to gripe about them.

Enjoy your newly recovered power!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought Speed6 last thursday night in Austin myself. I bought it from Premier Mazda up north, but it was shipped from Mazda South. It was the titanium gray sport model, maybe you saw it on the lot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts