Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sorry if this has been answered or anything already. im new to these forums...

but i was thinking, if you had a custom manifold made for like $900 cant you drop almost any turbo into the 2006 3.0 v6 ? my friend and i were going to do it for his civic.... will this work or not?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I'm going to move this to the newbie section for your own safety and protection! :D

There's more to a turbo than just a manifold and a turbo. More than I care to type out right now. I suggest you search for threads on turbocharging. Also, read up on atom44wat's story a bit.

You'll notice the biggest delay right now is tuning for the turbo.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
im sorry if this has been answered or anything already. im new to these forums...
but i was thinking, if you had a custom manifold made for like $900 cant you drop almost any turbo into the 2006 3.0 v6 ? my friend and i were going to do it for his civic.... will this work or not?
[/b]
The mazda6 is not a civic. If you want a cheap POS that is easy to bolt crap up to, go buy a civic. There have been at least 5 of us that have worked on turbo setups and so far there is nothing on the market.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The mazda6 is not a civic. If you want a cheap POS that is easy to bolt crap up to, go buy a civic. There have been at least 5 of us that have worked on turbo setups and so far there is nothing on the market.
[/b]
Bashing newbies in the "Newbie Section" is not allowed and certainly frowned upon.... you really need to get your act together...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
[/b]
x2 man. no flaming noobs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First you need to lower the compression of your car, turbos require low compression. Then you need to make sure those lower compression rods/pistons and whatever else you upgrade can handle the extra power without blowing. Then you need to figure out how to wire your oil up to cool the turbo and drain back to the oil pan. You can live with a small turbo on low boost without an intercooler, but I wouldn't suggest it. So that involves finding somewhere to mount an intercooler, then finding room for the hoses involved- not gonna be easy with a v6 its packed in there already. Also you gotta have the exhaust right, to much backpressure can lower performance, and so can too little... its a fine art. I wont even go into the fine art of wastegastes, blow off valves, and detonation prevention.

All this learned putting a 2.4 built stratus block and aftermarket turbo in a 96 neon, way before the srt-4 was a concept..

·
Registered
206 Posts
First you need to lower the compression of your car, turbos require low compression. Then you need to make sure those lower compression rods/pistons and whatever else you upgrade can handle the extra power without blowing. Then you need to figure out how to wire your oil up to cool the turbo and drain back to the oil pan. You can live with a small turbo on low boost without an intercooler, but I wouldn't suggest it. So that involves finding somewhere to mount an intercooler, then finding room for the hoses involved- not gonna be easy with a v6 its packed in there already. Also you gotta have the exhaust right, to much backpressure can lower performance, and so can too little... its a fine art. I wont even go into the fine art of wastegastes, blow off valves, and detonation prevention.

All this learned putting a 2.4 built stratus block and aftermarket turbo in a 96 neon, way before the srt-4 was a concept..
[/b]
u forgot engine management.

[/b]
as for the turbo itself, u need to make sure the flanges fit right also.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah yes guys i know about this stuff.i know the concept of turbos and stuff. i was just wondering if that was a minor problem holding back from dropping turbos into these cars. i just got one and havnt done any reading on it yet. sorry for speaking to soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts