Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting cooler in the states, I just wanted to send a reminder to the group to give the car a good look over. Check the air in the tires, go ahead and give it some fresh oil if it's close to time, check the coolant, and it would be a good time to throw the battery on a good trickle charge for a night.

Not many people think to do this when it starts to get cooler and all of a sudden they go to leave in the morning and the car is slow to start or they ride their sidewalls back and forth to work until they have issues. By then the damage is already done.

I hope everyone has a trouble free Fall and Winter!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
couple other thinks came my mind; clean windows at inside, it prevent frosting. put some silicone to doors seals, check that you can open/lock drivers door with key.
And if you are north enough, put some warm clothing, tire-chains and shovel in trunk.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And replace the windshield washer with winter one. Nothing like frozen windshield washer when you need to use it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMAO!!! I didn't think of that one because living in FL I don't normally switch. We see so few days below 32° that I never think about it. Great call!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thats no good. I like it cool but that's down right cold. You can keep it lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
By the way, what kind of tires you use at winter normal, M+S or studded ones? I use studded ones, my opion is those are best at snow and especial icy roads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LMAO!!! I didn't think of that one because living in FL I don't normally switch. We see so few days below 32° that I never think about it. Great call!!
Okay, there is something that i dont get it. Guy drinks cold mojitos on beach in sunny Florida and are worried about WINTER, holy f..k, come out here north and you will
see real winter, you know, when pee is freezing when you peeing and etc.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, there is something that i dont get it. Guy drinks cold mojitos on beach in sunny Florida and are worried about WINTER, holy f..k, come out here north and you will
see real winter, you know, when pee is freezing when you peeing and etc.
Lol, well beings that this forum is world wide and the cold doesn't discriminate, yes I did want to send a reminder to all. Yesterday when I had checked the tire pressure, they were all low after we got a cold spell. My battery is weak and is about to be replaced. I already had a no start Monday 2 weeks back when the temps dipped. Just because I'm in FL doesn't mean that I'm free and clear from ALL of the effects of winter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
By the way, what kind of tires you use at winter normal, M+S or studded ones? I use studded ones, my opion is those are best at snow and especial icy roads.
I'm running on winter tires without studs as most of my winter driving is in city or well cleared roads. They use a lot of salt here. Studded tires are great on rural roads, but I drive on those kind of roads only once a month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, some days are below -20f where I live

That's brutal.

I guess you have block-heater on your car, because rough climate. VTT says that one cold start(minus degrees) can strain engine like drive 500km, so one winter
season can make ten of thousands more km/miles to your car. Pre-heating car already 5 celsius, saves gas and engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess you have block-heater on your car, because rough climate. VTT says that one cold start(minus degrees) can strain engine like drive 500km, so one winter
season can make ten of thousands more km/miles to your car. Pre-heating car already 5 celsius, saves gas and engine.
I don't have a block heater. I know I should.

At least at home I park in a garage. I don't heat the garage but it stays around the freezing point in the worst days of winter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Definitely... however, in the case of an engine with perfect metal wear values, meaning well broken in when new, doesnt burn oil, optimal efficiency can tolerate a huge amount of abuse without any degradation to engine internals for several 100k miles so long as you keep up with oil changes. Well... once the engine starts to wear (especially one which was broken in the hard way when new) then its longevity is exponentially inhibited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts