Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been trying to learn more about sound and quality and im willing to spend the extra buck becuase the cheap way seems to fall through in the end.

i want to keep it clean and want to avoid a box and losing space. for sound. im not trying to out thump the guy next to me but i want enough to feel it. is one 10" jl w3 sub good? if i just mount it in the rear window or does it need a box? or what other sub it quality for the job?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
well if you want to wait a few weeks im putting my new system in , and i could give you some feed back. Im buying a 12 inch elemental design sub and 9.2 elemental design amp. 800W peak 400 RMS, very good feedback from a fellow 6'er. He said the box is probably the most important part of your subs. For my 12' 1 cu. ft is necesary inside the box.

Ill leave some feedback.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
JL does make open baffle subs, but the w3 is not one of them. If you get a w3, it needs to be in a box.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would go with a w6, i had the w3's before, they r pretty good subs, but after listening to JL's w6's, i would go with w6's. Yes either way the sub needs a box, sealed box would give u more of a nice clean bump. Ported box will give u more db's=louder then sealed box, but not as tight as the sealed. I have a custom poted box, with 2 12" W6's running on 2 JL's 500/1 amps. It costed quite a few 1000s, but it was worth it. LOL

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i've ran 3 jl 10w3's in a customer's car running IB and it worked fine for 9 months and took home a few local trophies dabears so it's not a blanket statement.

On the topic, IB setup (a.k.a. infinite baffle) is a real PITA to do correctly. You have to seal off your trunk from the rest of the car and not just like close the trunk. If you don't seal it off it can cause some issues with your subs as well as not sound good. W3's only need like 1.25cuft sealed just do a box that size. That's not really big when you think about it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
bumpin blazer is right, the w3's dont really need a big box, it is small once u install it into ur car. But its up to u, do what floats ur boat. :yesnod:

·
Registered
28 Posts
do a sealed box. they sound better. IMO I'm more worried about what it sounds like then how loud it will go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I work at a car stereo shop in Atlanta so I can recommend a couple things. First is do not mount any JL sub in an infinite baffle environment. They used to make a series of subs that you could use but they have been discontinued. They will play fine for awhile, but you will wear the voice coils out quickly. If you want to go IB I definitely recommend Alumapro. They sound great, good price, and they have decent power handling (200w).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bandpass box will give you the deepest and hardest hitting bass.

Truthfully though, if you just want it for listening value and not to out-bass the car next to you, you could get by with a very very small box. Ive heard an open w6 in no box for testing, and it sounds fine for daily listening. As far as what this does to the sub itself im not entirely sure... it may eventually damage the cone through reverberations but dont take my word on that.

Bandpass is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bandpass box will give you the deepest and hardest hitting bass.

Truthfully though, if you just want it for listening value and not to out-bass the car next to you, you could get by with a very very small box. Ive heard an open w6 in no box for testing, and it sounds fine for daily listening. As far as what this does to the sub itself im not entirely sure... it may eventually damage the cone through reverberations but dont take my word on that.

Bandpass is the way to go.
[/b]

not quite, bandpass works very well in a very small frequency range. output in that range will be great, but outside that range the dropoff is huge. nevermind the huge box and long ports.

in a nutshell.

sealed-decent output through the frequency range, best lows

ported-excellent output to the tuning frequency of the box, slightly large than sealed, depending on application

bandpass-excellent output in a narrow frequency range, largest of the 3 box styles. reduced output below and above the frequency range.

the last 4 subs I've owned have been in ported boxes, including the JL that I used. I ran a single 12w0 off a bmf 1000d, 250 watts, well over rated power. a big step down from the hcca sub with earthquake amp that I used to run

1 - 11 of 11 Posts