Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
GM showers JD Power with money, doesn't surprise me that they'd tell them to give their biggest competitor low ratings.

I'll take my (much less biased) other awards from essentially every single other big car review company and let Chevy make another commercial about how many awards they've won from a place no one cares about anymore. :)

JD Power's awards started losing creditability when they were handing out awards to every single car for any reason they could possibly find.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hm. Funny, at the bottom of the Mazda6 page is a little footnote:

Detailed ratings for 2014 models are not yet available. Ratings for the 2013 model year are provided, but are not necessarily indicative of 2014 model performance.
So, these are likely for the 2013 MY. What a POS. I totally hate JD Power. I used TrueDelta for getting some more up-to-date reliability ratings.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I use TrueDelta as well, JD power isn't worth it's weight anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Michael Karesh (the guy behind the TrueDelta website) had a good article I read some time back on the whole JD Power IQS study.

The Truth About J.D. Power’s IQS

Basically, it's called "lets use more less reliable info so we can get bigger advertising dollars from manufacturers". After I read that, JD Power lost all my interest.

ConsumerReports at least is less biased, even if they are a bit weighted to different ideals. However, their results take time to get out (only once a year) which can be a lot of time between a company having issues and having fixed them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, lets be honest here, Motor Trend and Road and Track have their pockets lined too. I was straight blown away the the Malibu was up there at all. My friend is a GM fanboy (lives in Youngstown, oh) he likes his "Bu" but he even laughed.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
We're talking about the same JD Power than ranked the Pontiac Aztec most appealing car in its class years ago. Mazda clearly forgot to pay them off, whereas GM never misses a payment.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well, lets be honest here, Motor Trend and Road and Track have their pockets lined too. I was straight blown away the the Malibu was up there at all. My friend is a GM fanboy (lives in Youngstown, oh) he likes his "Bu" but he even laughed.
No the car mags are different. They just are dealing with the classic news reporting dilemma of having to talk nice if they want to keep geting the access to the cars and company people for inside scoops.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I really don't care what JD Power says about our car. My Mazda is 10 Best
Cars in 2014 by Car & Driver, and the current issue of Motor Trend rated our Mazda as #1 among 6 mid-size sedan cars tested! In addition, Mazda has a great history of reliability to match so do I care what JD Power says, hell no!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the Impala during my search...it was ok...I like the looks, but the whole thing was underwhelming. GM could be truly first class eventually, but the stigma will always be there IMO.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The entire Chevy lineup is uninspiring.

As for "initial quality", my Mazda 6 came with zero defects and over 5,000 miles still has zero. If it keeps this up it will never see a dealer service department during its lifetime, because other than for warranty repairs I do my own work -- and I'll have no reason to let a dealer screw it up.

I'm in the middle of a very significant road trip (~3,000 miles total road distance) and the "6" is an outstanding road car. I will be posting a full review when I get back.

(PS: While Premium fuel does nothing for mileage, in fact it hurts it a bit, the ECU instantly recognizes it and gets MUCH more aggressive with engine response.... it's probably not worth it for daily driving but if you like to have some fun, well....)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not surprised at all.

Actually, I never cared for JD Power cause it seemed like they handed those trophys out like candy. Funny, you don't see the higher end auto makers (or ones that make great cars) boast about a JD Power award if they got one. Only the sh1tty car makers.

351 Posts
I think this may have to do with nit-picking of Mazda 6's demographic with small things such as creases in the leather, "rough" start-up, etc. All these things are logged and counted as "initial quality"

351 Posts
Not surprised at all.

Actually, I never cared for JD Power cause it seemed like they handed those trophys out like candy. Funny, you don't see the higher end auto makers (or ones that make great cars) boast about a JD Power award if they got one. Only the sh1tty car makers.
it's been quiet some time since Ford and GM wee "shitty" automakers

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
(PS: While Premium fuel does nothing for mileage, in fact it hurts it a bit, the ECU instantly recognizes it and gets MUCH more aggressive with engine response.... it's probably not worth it for daily driving but if you like to have some fun, well....)
Glad you tried it and liked it :D you should post your experiences in the other thread on this when you are done with your road trip.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts