Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will use Zeffer's formula for reviews since he pretty much nailed it (why reinvent the wheel?)

https://corksport.com/2014-mazda-3-big-brake-kit.html

What is it?
It's an upgraded front brake kit that replaces the front calipers/rotors/lines. The brake rotor is larger and of course slotted. The caliper is not only prettier than stock, but has 4 pistons. Finally, the stainless steel lines to increase efficiency.

What's nice?
First, the looks are better than stock (duh). Second, stopping power is improved, actually took a little getting used to the shorter stopping distance. Third, the installation process was quite easy for your do-it-yourself mechanics. Corksport made this product very well on how easily it comes together. Finally, the lighter setup (and I can confirm this as the box with the stock parts in where the CS stuff was in was considerably heavier) gave my car a slightly noticeable better response.

What's not-so-nice? (sorry Zeffer, had to modify that lol)
You live in state that has winter and/or salt? Have fun with the brake lines. I first tried a line wrench and rounded it. I then tried a vice grip pliers but to no avail. Luckily, I had a friend with a torch so we heated up the driver's side line and got it off with vice grips, no problem. Another thing was vice grips size matters. We got the passenger side off with no heat. Turns out the size of the vice grips I was originally using were too large. Just an FYI for anyone tackling this.

Ease of install:
As I mentioned, the install (besides the brake line removal) was pretty easy. One thing to mention - keep the lines attached after loosening them and just rest the removed stock caliper on something. It will save you a ton of time bleeding. Oh yeah, the bleeding part. That's what I was most nervous about, but with keeping the lines attached and swapping them out once the new setup is in, it took only a few minutes to fully bleed the new calipers.

In conclusion, I really do like this kit. It is not terribly expensive in comparisons to BBK out there for other cars. The look, stopping power, and less unsprung weight.

·
Banned
703 Posts
I will use Zeffer's formula for reviews since he pretty much nailed it (why reinvent the wheel?)

https://corksport.com/2014-mazda-3-big-brake-kit.html

What is it?
It's an upgraded front brake kit that replaces the front calipers/rotors/lines. The brake rotor is larger and of course slotted. The caliper is not only prettier than stock, but has 4 pistons. Finally, the stainless steel lines to increase efficiency.

What's nice?
First, the looks are better than stock (duh). Second, stopping power is improved, actually took a little getting used to the shorter stopping distance. Third, the installation process was quite easy for your do-it-yourself mechanics. Corksport made this product very well on how easily it comes together. Finally, the lighter setup (and I can confirm this as the box with the stock parts in where the CS stuff was in was considerably heavier) gave my car a slightly noticeable better response.

What's not-so-nice? (sorry Zeffer, had to modify that lol)
You live in state that has winter and/or salt? Have fun with the brake lines. I first tried a line wrench and rounded it. I then tried a vice grip pliers but to no avail. Luckily, I had a friend with a torch so we heated up the driver's side line and got it off with vice grips, no problem. Another thing was vice grips size matters. We got the passenger side off with no heat. Turns out the size of the vice grips I was originally using were too large. Just an FYI for anyone tackling this.

Ease of install:
As I mentioned, the install (besides the brake line removal) was pretty easy. One thing to mention - keep the lines attached after loosening them and just rest the removed stock caliper on something. It will save you a ton of time bleeding. Oh yeah, the bleeding part. That's what I was most nervous about, but with keeping the lines attached and swapping them out once the new setup is in, it took only a few minutes to fully bleed the new calipers.

In conclusion, I really do like this kit. It is not terribly expensive in comparisons to BBK out there for other cars. The look, stopping power, and less unsprung weight.

Nice write-up, plus the pic at the end is a bonus. I like how Corksport's brake kit is slotted rather than drilled.

SS brake lines are kind of pointless though. The inside of your brake lines are already lined with steel.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write-up, plus the pic at the end is a bonus. I like how Corksport's brake kit is slotted rather than drilled.

SS brake lines are kind of pointless though. The inside of your brake lines are already lined with steel.

Thanks, was not aware of the existing lines. Although they come with the set and you can't reuse the stock lines anyway on the upgraded calipers, so no biggie in the end.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget to do brake bedding. or avoid hard braking for 500 mile
Actually, they do include the steps to properly bed the brakes in the instructions. Very easy to do (just need no traffic, that's kinda the hard part :p)

·
Registered
194 Posts
These look good, they fill in the wheels nicely and I'm all for less unsprung weight and better pedal feel.

That being said, my only concern is that when it comes to replacement, it appears that these rotors are a size specific to this Corksport kit and it can't be replaced with any other brand of rotors like Centric, Brembo, EBC or any of the other large aftermarket brake suppliers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These look good, they fill in the wheels nicely and I'm all for less unsprung weight and better pedal feel.

That being said, my only concern is that when it comes to replacement, it appears that these rotors are a size specific to this Corksport kit and it can't be replaced with any other brand of rotors like Centric, Brembo, EBC or any of the other large aftermarket brake suppliers.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking the EXACT same thing today, except it was more in line with brake pads then the rotors. I am going to hit Corksport up about that.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Actually, they do include the steps to properly bed the brakes in the instructions. Very easy to do (just need no traffic, that's kinda the hard part :p)
For high performance brakes like Corksports, yes. But for regular street brakes? There's no need.

Pedal feel is largely influenced by servo motor, and stopping power is largely influenced by the grip of the front tires, so considering that replacing the pads/rotors on this BBK may be a bit of a challenge, I think it would simply be best to just stick to German OEM stuff such as Textar/Ferodo/Pagid/Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For high performance brakes like Corksports, yes. But for regular street brakes? There's no need.

Pedal feel is largely influenced by servo motor, and stopping power is largely influenced by the grip of the front tires, so considering that replacing the pads/rotors on this BBK may be a bit of a challenge, I think it would simply be best to just stick to German OEM stuff such as Textar/Ferodo/Pagid/Jurid pads and Zimmerman rotors.
Being that this is a Japanese car, most of those brands don't manufacture pads or rotors for it. I have used Zimmerman on the e39 and honestly, it was no better and possibly slightly worse than the OE branded parts. Just that they were quite a bit cheaper so that was a plus.

For Mazdas, and most other Japanese brands, the only choices outside of OE are usually Centric, Brembo, Akebono and EBC amongst the larger name brands. Also, it's not just the grip of the front tires, more aggressive pads make a significant difference in braking power AND pedal feel as well. On my old SC400, I experimented with a few different brands, some made the pedal feel worse and more vague than stock, other more aggressive pads gave it a confidence inspiring bite as soon as I depressed the brake pedal.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Being that this is a Japanese car, most of those brands don't manufacture pads or rotors for it. I have used Zimmerman on the e39 and honestly, it was no better and possibly slightly worse than the OE branded parts. Just that they were quite a bit cheaper so that was a plus.

For Mazdas, and most other Japanese brands, the only choices outside of OE are usually Centric, Brembo, Akebono and EBC amongst the larger name brands. Also, it's not just the grip of the front tires, more aggressive pads make a significant difference in braking power AND pedal feel as well. On my old SC400, I experimented with a few different brands, some made the pedal feel worse and more vague than stock, other more aggressive pads gave it a confidence inspiring bite as soon as I depressed the brake pedal.
Zimmerman IS an OEM supplier for BMW, and many other European brands though. They are simply cheaper, rebranded Brembo plain discs. Great stuff.

Pads will make a difference, but I still think it is more important to just have good tires fitted. High performance brakes are not necessary unless you drive the shit out of your car. I am just dissapointed with the OEM brakes on our cars which warp far too easily.

If anyone is interested, here is a great thread I started on a different Mazda forums where I had a lengthy conversation with someone who worked for Ferodo, a European pad maker and he went to lengths to describe why these dusty German OEM pads are better than regular ones. Very interesting read: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861722-Brake-Upgrade

fortunately, there are some German pads available for our cars, namely Textar (Which I have on my BMW, is dusty as shit but an excellent pad)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Zimmerman IS an OEM supplier for BMW, and many other European brands though. They are simply cheaper, rebranded Brembo plain discs. Great stuff.

Pads will make a difference, but I still think it is more important to just have good tires fitted. High performance brakes are not necessary unless you drive the shit out of your car. I am just dissapointed with the OEM brakes on our cars which warp far too easily.

If anyone is interested, here is a great thread I started on a different Mazda forums where I had a lengthy conversation with someone who worked for Ferodo, a European pad maker and he went to lengths to describe why these dusty German OEM pads are better than regular ones. Very interesting read: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861722-Brake-Upgrade

fortunately, there are some German pads available for our cars, namely Textar (Which I have on my BMW, is dusty as shit but an excellent pad)
That's the thing, the brakes on the Mazda 6 are too small for the weight of the vehicle, larger rotors with more swept area with better pads will improve both the feel and braking distance. I know it isn't really all due to our Falkens as I've hit the brakes hard a few times and rarely has it locked up the wheels and caused the ABS to kick in. The brakes on my Q50 however, are strong enough stock that it has triggered the ABS under a few hard braking conditions, AND I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around on that car.

·
Banned
703 Posts

That's the thing, the brakes on the Mazda 6 are too small for the weight of the vehicle, larger rotors with more swept area with better pads will improve both the feel and braking distance. I know it isn't really all due to our Falkens as I've hit the brakes hard a few times and rarely has it locked up the wheels and caused the ABS to kick in. The brakes on my Q50 however, are strong enough stock that it has triggered the ABS under a few hard braking conditions, AND I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around on that car.
Other than the warping issue, I don’t really see anything wrong with the OEM brakes. The pads are rather good quality (TRW) and I really like the pedal feel. It’s firm, easy to modulate and has an initial dead-zone to help smooth the initial braking application. Larger discs would be helpful, but I don’t think it’s necessary for a 3200 pound vehicle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Other than the warping issue, I don’t really see anything wrong with the OEM brakes. The pads are rather good quality (TRW) and I really like the pedal feel. It’s firm, easy to modulate and has an initial dead-zone to help smooth the initial braking application. Larger discs would be helpful, but I don’t think it’s necessary for a 3200 pound vehicle.
Actually, the 2018 models have gained some weight and the more fully equipped versions such as the Grand Touring and Signature trims weigh in at 3,560 lbs. Also, the braking distances are worst in class compared to the Accord and Camry which is why I think the brakes are too small for this car. And I also tend to drive aggressively so these brakes tend to get overcooked pretty easily.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Actually, the 2018 models have gained some weight and the more fully equipped versions such as the Grand Touring and Signature trims weigh in at 3,560 lbs. Also, the braking distances are worst in class compared to the Accord and Camry which is why I think the brakes are too small for this car. And I also tend to drive aggressively so these brakes tend to get overcooked pretty easily.
The OEM falkens on the signature model are apparently not very good, plus I think 225 section tires are too thin for a car with 310ft/lb of torque. If you changed those tires to something better it would probably go from worst in class to one of the best. I do agree that the OEM brakes overheat easily, but I don’t imagine the Honda or Toyota’s brakes to be any better. The signature has become a rather hefty car!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Op, sorry for hijacking your thread, Get Inline, I think there's no more need to hijack his thread.

Back to the BBK, let us know what Corksport tells you about the pad and rotor replacement options. If there are other aftermarket pads and rotors that can be used with this kit, I think it would be a nice upgrade to the Mazda 6. I've always been a fan of fixed caliper brakes over the basic floating caliper setups that seem to be more prone to warping.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update... Corksport informed me that '06-07 WRX pads will work with the BBK, so that is super convenient.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whoops, forgot to ask. I'll send them a message. I presume they re-purpose another part on another car since the pads come from a WRX

1 - 20 of 20 Posts