Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading all the posts it's the general concensus (all though I've yet to see pics) that the Bose/6 CD changer headunit has RCA pre-amp outputs. True?
But, does it have any form of AUX INPUT? I'd really like to add XM to the system, but I don't wanna go through RF modulation. I'd rather take the line out of the Delphi XM reciever directly into the Bose HU (for obviously better sound quality).
If there is not a standard Aux input on the HU, does anyone know of a maker of a conversion adapter to say convert the cassette input into a aux/line in?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: I've seen this asked, but never answered...Bose

Uhhh...I haven't cracked the dash but I dug around under the passenger seat and found out that if there are RCA outs, there certainly aren't RCA ins for the amp. I'm guessing it's a proprietary pre-amp out/in. I'm trying to get ahold of the wiring schematics so I can splice into the pre-amps. Anyway, here's the amp & connector pics:

·
Registered
18 Posts

That sucks, I was hoping for an easy amp swap. Also pulling out all the speakers and Sub would be nice but there are no 9inch subs to replace it with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'I've seen this asked, but never answered...Bose'

Thanks Kyler...
It would be great if you could post some pics after you crack the dash. I'd like to see the back of the Bose HU.
I guess for me it wouldn't matter about the existing amp...If the HU has RCA pre-amp outs, I'd be replacing the existing amp with an aftermarket anyway.
Also, I know Bose doesn't give out any specs on its stuff, but is there ANY info available (or maybe through some sort of test) on the specs of the sub/speakers...I couldn't find ANYONE who makes a 9" free-air sub, but I was thinking if the existing one is "good enough", i'd just drive it with it's own more powerful amp.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I would very much like to see the back of the bose head unit as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Kyler- buy a cheap pair of headphones and cut the plug off of them. You can usually find headphones at a dollar store. Splice the wiring for one side and make it into pins using a dab of solder- that'll be an easy test to see which are preamp outs.

You can guess by looking at the wires. You should see eight (four pairs) of identical guage wires- I don't think the subwoofer itself has a preamp output, however the filtration could be done in a seperate box inbetween the head unit's outputs and the amp's inputs. If the same colors are used as the stock stereo, one pair will be purple and pink, and... ok, that's the only one I remember.

It looks like you've got a set of 10 heavy wires and 11 smaller ones. My guess is 8 of the heavy ones are preamp outputs while the remaining two are power and ground. The smaller wires are all control signals- my guess.

·
Registered
791 Posts

djmn- I don't think the woofer is "good enough". I was looking at Kylers, and the woofer is made of paper and doesn't seem to be built for long excursion or heat. It probably wouldn't be hard to create an adapter for the 9" woofer to install a longer-excursion, more efficient 8" woofer.

Bass is all about the volume of air the woofer can move. A high-excursion 8" woofer can move as much air as a low excursion 12" woofer, sometimes. When shopping, look for a large Xmax and high efficiency (small drivers tend to be inefficient, especially high excursion ones).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Strechsje-
If I go with a 8" IB woofer, how can I properly seal the hole again? Isn't it very important that the the pressure in front of the speaker and the pressure behind it never "mix"?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

djmn, you could probably get an adapter plate with a smaller inner diameter to bolt to the hole. Then bolt the sub to it.

Stretch, thanks for the advice but that's a little involved for me. :) I'll have to get you to come over and show me what you're talking about. Maybe I can get a better picture of the wire bundle. Hell, I'll probably try to remove the dash this weekend so I'll get some pictures of the back of the unit. Look for something Sunday evening/Monday morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Wow!!!!
That is very good information! Access to the amp is very easy!!
I'm sure we can figure out the pinout and change the amp!!
I'll search into it, I may build a connector with some silicon, aftermarket piece will certainly build an adapter later. Thanks!!!
:D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks again Kyler13! Great pics!!

BTW, did you see a gain adjustement on the amp as we can easily get max volume on Head Unit without affecting sound quality? That may give us a bit more output power to the speakers at no cost?

Cheers! :) :D

See http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/connector.gif for pinout, that may give you ideas, it comes from S4 2000 Bose amp.

·
Registered
791 Posts

djmn- I couldn't say for sure without looking, but you could probably take either a piece of sheet metal (to stay skinny) or 3/4" MDF (preferably, but woofer will intrude into trunk more) and cut a 9" outdiameter and a 7" inner diameter (7" is usually the size hole of an 8" speaker). Drill the mounting holes, mount, done! It's not elegant, but it'd work. Yes, it's absolutely important that the front and back sound waves from the woofer don't mix, or they'll cancel each other out. It must be air-tight. In fact, I wonder how air-tight the fold-down seats are... they need be for that mounting location.

kyler13- it's rather simple, you just need a soldering iron and a pair of headphones to destroy. Soldering isn't even necessary- it'll just make it easier. Really, all you want to do is splice the wires coming from one of the headphone speakers, and touch those two wires to each pair of connectors that goes into your audio unit. At least 8 of those wires carry an audio signal- by trial and error, you can find them. Heck, you live so close by, we could probably just make a day of it. (See my next project in a different thread- I'll be doing my car audio too.)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by fcaron

Thanks again Kyler13!  Great pics!!

BTW, did you see a gain adjustement on the amp as we can easily get max volume on Head Unit without affecting sound quality?  That may give us a bit more output power to the speakers at no cost?

Cheers! :) :D  

See  http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pix/connector.gif for pinout, that may give you ideas, it comes from S4 2000 Bose amp.[/b]
Thanks, fcaron. I actually have a bunch more pictures of the amp and the whole process of getting it out from under the seat, though it's fairly simple. I'm still working on my website though. Hope to have some more info Sunday as I'm gonna attempt to crack the dash tomorrow. BTW, I didn't see any buttons or knobs on the amp for gain adjustment. :( I think the best thing will be just to change the damn thing out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts