Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I've painted my calipers...'

Wow!!

Nice colour. It really contrast out the grey silver colour of your car. What colour would look good for a the blue M6? HHmmmm I wonder.

Did you get the dealer to do that paint? How much did it cost you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Originally posted by hieppo

Wow!!

Nice colour.  It really contrast out the grey silver colour of your car.  What colour would look good for a the blue M6?  HHmmmm I wonder.

Did you get the dealer to do that paint?  How much did it cost you?[/b]
Thanks for the compliments! :) For blue car, you might wanna try red.

I painted it myself (D.I.Y) and took me about 3 hours to do the front pair. Cost : Free. Got the VHT paint from a friend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Cool.

Any problems while removing them?[/b]
I hate to admit this but I didn't remove the pads or calipers coz I couldn't find the pins and clips that hold the pads there; and I didn't really wanna have to bleed the whole brake system. Just used old newspapers and masking tape to mask out the areas that I didn't want painted. :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Okay...I guess that's one way to do it... Looks good though. I hope you managed to clean it properly without removing it so that the paint sticks...:D

·
Registered
837 Posts

Damn Steve, you beat me to it.

I was just about to ask XTERM to do a write up for the mechanically-incline. But now that I know he did not remove the pads and calipers, there is nothing to it. :)

Anyway, did you do any primer coat? How about clearcoating the sucker?

BTW, you are right RED calipers will really look good on the M6 blue.

Thanks

Hiep

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I painted the calipers on my car without taking them off as well. Steps I used..

(1) Buy caliper paint (usual colors available are Red, Yellow, Blue, and Silver). You should be able to pick this up at any popular automotive store.

(2) Take wheels off :D
(3) Since my car was a couple of years old I used a steel wool attachment at the end of my drill to get any rust off. (you can skip this step if your car is new)
(4) Wipe it down with a rag. If you have an air gun attached to a compressor then use that to get any loose stuff off.
(5) Stuff pieces of newspaper in and around the areas you don't want to get paint on. This works surprisingly well.
(6) Follow the directions on the paint can for spraying. You don't need any primer.
(7) Let dry and put your wheel back on.

I did one wheel at a time since I only had one jack.

It's been a couple of years now and it's held up great! The paint still looks new. My car is black so I painted the calipers red.

Alan

·
Registered
837 Posts

Woah there!

Spray paint. Eeew! Too much risk on that stuff flying all over the place and possibly gets on my soon to be new M6 paint coat. You sure it only comes with spray paint. I read in another forum that this stuff is an epoxy cover base paint that you apply with a brush instead of propellant. If it is true then that would make the job so much easier and doable for anyone with some patience.

Hey any of you guys have the time to take so close up shot of your handiwork?

I will definitely consider painting it once I get the car.

Hiep

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Woah there!

Spray paint.  Eeew!  Too much risk on that stuff flying all over the place and possibly gets on my soon to be new M6 paint coat.[/b]
I had the same concern you did. And I wondered why they even sold caliper paint as a spray. But once I started doing it it went fine. The spray does not fly all over and I didn't even come close to getting any of it on my car. Once you get the wheel off you have a large area of clearance and parts of your car you don't want to get paint on are really not that close.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Okay...I guess that's one way to do it... Looks good though. I hope you managed to clean it properly without removing it so that the paint sticks...:D[/b]
The car is still pretty new so cleaning the calipers were a breeze. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Damn Steve, you beat me to it.

I was just about to ask XTERM to do a write up for the mechanically-incline.  But now that I know he did not remove the pads and calipers, there is nothing to it.  :)

Anyway, did you do any primer coat?  How about clearcoating the sucker?

BTW, you are right RED calipers will really look good on the M6 blue.

Thanks

Hiep[/b]
If you use a brand of paint called VHT (Very High Temperature); you don't need a primer coat. It's guaranteed not to fade or chip off.

Seen a few cars that are blue with red painted calipers around my area and I thought they looked good. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Originally posted by Matt

I'm sorry but...I think it is hideous! If it was a yellow 6 it was kinda cool, but this is not my cup of tea...

But if your are happy with it, is it fine by me :)[/b]
Hahaha...I expected some to think it looked hideous. :) Anyway, wanted the sedan and not the sport so there's no yellow for the sedan. Might consider re-painting the whole car yellow after a few year (say maybe 5 years?).

Yellow is supposed to be my lucky color according to some fortune teller that my mom visited...too bad I already got the car... :sarc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

At least the calipers are yellow...a good thing to have luck when braking!!![/b]
ROFL. That's what I thought as well when I decided to go for yellow calipers hahaha.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Fortune teller told my mom that Red, Pink, Purple, Black and Grey aren't my colors. But I already got a grey car...darn!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.