Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on very soon buying a Mazda6 with the 6 cyl. and 5 speed. My main concern is keeping the car as reliable as possible, but i want to get a few more ponies out of the car. Will the AEM or Injen intake lean out my engine to the point of det. I'm a former 3rd Gen. Rx-7 owner so im always paranoid about engines leaning out since that always meant instant death for my rotary engine. Will just an intake affect my cars reliablity i know that its just an intake and it shouldn't but i don't want to ruin the car with something dumb like a damn cold air intake.

My plan for go mods will be a magnaflow exhaust and an intake. I understand that the exhaust will maybe give me 1-2 hp i want that mod. just for sound and look.

Which intake should i get the injen or the aem??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
like you said...exhaust gains will be minimal since the restrictions are not the exhaust its self...but the headers....and what not...

Injen intake will work...but you will blow CEL (check engine lights) like crazy. CPE (custom performance engineering) has a fix for that...with their MAFCi chips....

If I was you...and I was...get the CPE Intake kit....its the way to go really. It has been proven several times, and I have proved it to myself with a dyno run to add 18-20 whp....enough that you'll feel it a bit.

My opinion is that yes...its fun to have the CPE intake, or any intake for that matter, but its over rated. i put one one...and I was expecting more "feel". But on a dyno it is what it claims....

If you want seat of your pants joy...get a mazdaspeed...or get a 2.4 and throw a turbo on it. the 2.4 is more nimble and is lighter because of that...

Bottom line....if you want v6....do what many of us have done...pay out the cash for a CPE intake...you won't regret it....

yes it is pricy...but you'll love it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the CP-E intake with its higher increase in hp affect the reliablity of the motor. I understand that adding more power will take away from the life of the engine but will it affect the clutch and the amount of miles i can expect to put on the engine. This car is going to be my only car for the next 2-2 1/2 years until i am done with college.

And $500 just for an intake is rediculous my god. Will the AEM set codes off like the injen does?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yup cp-e intake.. And i would not recommend the magnaflow exhaust.. magnaflow has been lacking in the quality department lately... the magnaflow exhaust has fitment issues also.. I had one and it was horrible.. dont get me wrong it sounded great.. but after just a few months my mufflers were already rusting..

·
Registered
901 Posts
yup cp-e intake.. And i would not recommend the magnaflow exhaust.. magnaflow has been lacking in the quality department lately... the magnaflow exhaust has fitment issues also.. I had one and it was horrible.. dont get me wrong it sounded great.. but after just a few months my mufflers were already rusting..
[/b]
Just becuase you have had a bad experience with them doesnt mean everyone else has. Ive had mine on for about a year daily driven through the Nebraska Winter in a LOWERED car and I havent had one problem, or noticed any rusting at all. I love my magnaflows and would recomend them to anyone.

And the CP-E intake is by far the best mod for the money. And the most gains.

·
Registered
634 Posts
[/b]
Those mufflers are stailness, no? how are they rusting?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
they are stainless but are rusting.. my friends are rusting also.. And there was an issue also with magnaflows quality of work but im not at liberty to say since i promised i wouldnt post it on the forums.. cp-e also told me the same thing..magnaflow is going downhill and they do not care about their products anymore.. They were not happy that magnaflow took foorever on getting them the y pipes and there was some more stuff with the quality of magnaflows work recently..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Daishi
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing