Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go any further I just want to say that I'm not the most knowledgeable about cars. I'm also a massive overthinker, which isn't helping my situation.

The other day I bought a 2014 2.2 MZ6 estate/wagon from a used car dealership with just over 60k miles (97k km?) on the clock. I was looking for an estate car with low emissions and everything I looked at had some sort of known problem or recall. I then remembered Mazda sell very attractive estate cars and, knowing that Mazda are known as a brand for reliability, I jumped straight into a viewing for a car, which then led to a sale, without looking up the exact model for any problems, so this is my fault, I know.

On the long journey home I tried googling how to temporarily disable the alarm so I could sleep in the car without the intrusion sensor switching on the alarm whenever it detected movement with the doors locked. In doing so I stumbled upon a load of forums describing Mazda diesels as the worst in terms of reliability, expensive, massively affected by DPF issues and engine problems.. uh oh.

Right now, I have very little bad to say about the car. It looks arguably the best in the estate class, drives perfectly fine, handles superbly, gear changes are smooth, suspension is brilliant. The infotainment system is rubbish and sound system isn't the best either, but these are minor inconveniences. However, I'm worried. Worried I'm going to suffer some problem in the near future that I won't be able to afford to fix. Worried about how I don't know how the 1 previous owner drove this car (although I guess just less than 10k miles a year means it was unlikely to be used for short city trips) and that one day I'm going to be hit by a massive repair/service bill.

I also worry that I should have bought a petrol car instead. I'm mainly planning on using the car for commutes (my usual route is about 25 minutes fast drive but with several 30mph villages thrown in, however I could change this to a 20 minute fast drive route with no 30mph zones) along with the occasional longer trip. If the DPF needs clearing once a week I can take it down for a 50 minute fast drive along an A road or dual carriageway, not a problem. I just hope that's enough to avoid any DPF issues, but I really don't know. There's so much conflicting information online.

Everyone I've spoken to about it has said I have nothing to worry about. That all modern diesel cars have a DPF, that 60,000 miles is nothing for a diesel, that there's nothing wrong with the car. But still, they're not the ones having to deal with the dreaded DPF light on the dashboard showing up at any time, or the financial implications of that. Like I said, I have no way of finding out how the car was previously driven. It has a full service history and every scheduled replacement has been carried out, but in the past 7 months the car has only done just over 3,000 miles. It's this fear of the unknown which is causing me such concern.

So, any diesel Mazda owners, what experiences have you had with the car? How often did you take it out for a fast drive? Am I doing enough miles per week (about 50 minutes, or 25 miles round trip) to keep the engine in good condition? Is it worth taking the car down to the nearest Mazda dealership to have the engine/DPF checked over?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have an amazing day.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Unfortunately, I am the only active member here with a diesel variant. I bought it last December of 2017 and is marketed locally as 2018 model.

Most of I've read online about DPF is that almost all are driven in the city. A two hour drive of 100 kph should mitigate any city driving that I do for the rest of the week.

My suggestion, have a separate account for this future maintenance. Every month, I set aside about 50 - 100 dollars in a bank. If in the future I would encounter such problem, I have a savings account to deal with it.

Actually, I'm not worried. I believe you shouldn't worry and just enjoy your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I am the only active member here with a diesel variant. I bought it last December of 2017 and is marketed locally as 2018 model.

Most of I've read online about DPF is that almost all are driven in the city. A two hour drive of 100 kph should mitigate any city driving that I do for the rest of the week.

My suggestion, have a separate account for this future maintenance. Every month, I set aside about 50 - 100 dollars in a bank. If in the future I would encounter such problem, I have a savings account to deal with it.

Actually, I'm not worried. I believe you shouldn't worry and just enjoy your car.
Well, as the only active member, thank you for the reply!

I'd definitely acknowledge that a lot of complaints about DPF/diesel car issues are from people who should've bought a petrol for their type of driving. But every mention of how fast/how long you should drive gives different numbers. Mazda themselves state in the manual in front of me to drive at >40kph (25mph) for about 10 to 20 minutes. So this shouldn't be a problem for me, I just hope it's enough.

Money for small repairs and maintenance isn't a problem. However replacing the DPF/engine definitely would be. That's what I'm worried about.

I want to enjoy the car, I really do. Maybe I will after its first service, or maybe after a few weeks, since I've owned the car for less than a week right now. But I'm still kind of nervous about it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, as the only active member, thank you for the reply!
If you stay here, that will be two. 😀

Money for small repairs and maintenance isn't a problem. However replacing the DPF/engine definitely would be. That's what I'm worried about.

Yes, and that is why I suggested a separate one. Another one on top of the regular maintenance. It looks like an expensive maintenance and I have no idea how much it will cost should it be replaced.

I guess just less than 10k miles a year means it was unlikely to be used for short city trips
May I know from what place are you? I'm curious as you are using imperial units and not metric.

Going back, that's another thing to consider, and that should alleviate any worry you have, the previous owner might have driven the car mostly not in the city. For your peace of mind, I suggest you drive it for an hour or so at the maximum speed limit allowed in your area.

This should be a good opportunity to visit a far away place you have been planning on for the longest time.

However, there's that CoViD 19. China has "conquered" the world, not in the manner that a military tactician would expect...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you stay here, that will be two. 😀
Sure, although don't know how much help I can be 😞

May I know from what place are you? I'm curious as you are using imperial units and not metric.
The wonderful countryside of the UK 🙂

Going back, that's another thing to consider, and that should alleviate any worry you have, the previous owner might have driven the car mostly not in the city. For your peace of mind, I suggest you drive it for an hour or so at the maximum speed limit allowed in your area.

This should be a good opportunity to visit a far away place you have been planning on for the longest time.
That's one good thing to come out of this I guess.

I'd always planned on getting back into bouldering as soon as I had the car. With the nearest bouldering centre being an hour's fast drive away, looks I have an ever more compelling reason to not procrastinate out of this goal... just as soon as indoor climbing can resume post-COVID...

Anyway, I've done a bit more research tonight, and it seems a lot of complaints regarding the DPF are referring to the non-Skyactiv models. In fact, the Skyactiv technology seems to be getting a lot of praise. A few troubles still reported, some involving the DPF, some involving other issues, but for now I guess I can relax a bit more..

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Anyway, I've done a bit more research tonight, and it seems a lot of complaints regarding the DPF are referring to the non-Skyactiv models. In fact, the Skyactiv technology seems to be getting a lot of praise. A few troubles still reported, some involving the DPF, some involving other issues, but for now I guess I can relax a bit more..

Thanks again for your help!
This is good news for both of us. I decided to stop reading about the complaints regarding DPF so I didn't notice it was for non-Skyactiv model. It's giving me unnecessary anxiety. I know I should be aware of any possible problem that I may encounter but reading the same complaints doesn't help.

My solution to that "future problem" is the one I suggested earlier. It seems like a bought a ticking time bomb but then, all cars will come to a breaking point. I just wanted to think that what I got is a "higher end" ticking time bomb.

So yes, you and I can relax about the DPF and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, so this is my story:
I have a 2014 2.2 D Mazda 6. Lovely car until sometime in February when I had the oil pressure warning light with the 'potential damage to engine' light pop on the dash with the engine management light. The car went into limp mode and the engine sounded heavy. This car has been serviced at the main dealer from new except for 2017 when a mate did an oil change for me. Mazda serviced the car in July of 2019. I had the car towed to a local garage. They have done an oil and filter change but the car is still sounding heavy and is still in limp mode. The mechanic says the oil consistency was very light when he changed it. Has anyone faced theses issue. I'm fretting big time as the car is out of warranty and I'm due another service from Mazda.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The low oil pressure is a classic of this engine, and that includes SkyActiv versions:
Check the videos of Colin Hagan in above link, the various issues of this engine are well explained.

I personnally had it several times during the life of my 2013 Skyactiv version, the most serious one, around 110000km, the engine suffered a lot (crankshaft, turbo, ...) and repair cost was around 10k Euros, which finally went down to 6K Euros.
I also got the oil pump chain breaking, luckily, it did not kill the engine again this time.
If you see this low oil pressure, immediately stop the car and call assistance: when the error appears, it's often already to late.

So my best advice here is: avoid that engine and chose a gasoline version ...

But aside of this, I also faced:
  • Twice the front radar failing
  • Twice the rear camera failing
  • Gearbox oil pump replaced
  • Wheel bearing replaced
  • Rear-door damper replacement (campaign)
  • Engine oil leak
  • Hand-brake check (campaign)
  • Rear brake calipers replaced (campaign)
  • Alternator belt broken
  • i-Stop in error, battery changed
  • i-Stop in error, engine oil overheat
  • Front suspension ball joint broken, suspension arm damaged
  • Coolant pipe cracked during the Covid period and dealer was closed: I was permanently driving with 10 liters of water in the trunk
  • Diesel injectors to be replaced (3K Euros)
  • And more ...
The replacement of the injectors is the cause of my presence here: trying to find a way to fix it by myself at a lower cost before I definetely get rid of this car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+ 1 in the UK with Mazda 6, SkyActiv-D 2.2 SE-L Saloon.

I was concerned at first about DPF and the more I read on the Internet the more concerned I was so I decided to stop reading about it :LOL:.
I bought it last year with 117K Miles and no issues...touch wood :) ! ...before lockdown I was doing 12Miles one way commuting to work from which 8Miles on M25; now, back and fwd to shopping!

I need to change Oil ( light came up ) and this is mission critical for these engines.
I'm on research mode right now to see which one to buy and do it myself; 0W-30 or 5W-30 ?

Manual says ( Europe ):
Mazda Original Oil Supra DPF 0W-30
Mazda Original Oil Ultra DPF 5W-30

As of now I'm inclining for: Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 with a MANN Filter but still not decided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The low oil pressure is a classic of this engine, and that includes SkyActiv versions:
Check the videos of Colin Hagan in above link, the various issues of this engine are well explained.

I personnally had it several times during the life of my 2013 Skyactiv version, the most serious one, around 110000km, the engine suffered a lot (crankshaft, turbo, ...) and repair cost was around 10k Euros, which finally went down to 6K Euros.
I also got the oil pump chain breaking, luckily, it did not kill the engine again this time.
If you see this low oil pressure, immediately stop the car and call assistance: when the error appears, it's often already to late.

So my best advice here is: avoid that engine and chose a gasoline version ...

But aside of this, I also faced:
  • Twice the front radar failing
  • Twice the rear camera failing
  • Gearbox oil pump replaced
  • Wheel bearing replaced
  • Rear-door damper replacement (campaign)
  • Engine oil leak
  • Hand-brake check (campaign)
  • Rear brake calipers replaced (campaign)
  • Alternator belt broken
  • i-Stop in error, battery changed
  • i-Stop in error, engine oil overheat
  • Front suspension ball joint broken, suspension arm damaged
  • Coolant pipe cracked during the Covid period and dealer was closed: I was permanently driving with 10 liters of water in the trunk
  • Diesel injectors to be replaced (3K Euros)
  • And more ...
The replacement of the injectors is the cause of my presence here: trying to find a way to fix it by myself at a lower cost before I definetely get rid of this car.
Yep, I'm definitely bricking it right now! I have a service plan with Mazda but they don't seem bothered in offering any assistance. The car has been at my local garage for close to 4 months now. All this seems to have happened after I took the car in for a re-call to update the software.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts