Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
breaking out the big dawgs because i need help...

got a nail in one of my tires...not fixable..

2 of my other tires got that infamous bulge going on and it has for quite some miles...so i figured hey...lets bite the bullet and take one for the 6.

Falken Fk452 or Toyo Proxes 4

both around the same price, and i'm lookin to throw 225/45R17's of course on the stock rims because i'm broke as a joke...

watcha guys think..i'm leaning toward the Falken's because its a new UHP tire, and suppose to be a "luxury/sport" feel....i mean that's what my 6 is sporty...but luxurious... :nana:

so...FALKEN'S or TOYO'S? need help from the peanut gallery because my car is in the driveway and my parents are buggin me to get it out, and to stop using their car...looking to put the order in somewhere by end of day tom. 9/6/06

thanks again.

Danny

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I vote for Toyo! Seriously, what's more important to you? Ride comfort, handling, both? Proxes4 will give you greater handling capability vs. the original equipment tires without the harsh ride usually associated with ultra high performance tires. Toyo also offers a 500 mile trial offer. If you don't like 'em, bring 'em back! What have you got to lose?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you are going to be driving on snow and don't have another set of wheels/tires, then you shouldn't be considering summer tires.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
If you are going to be driving on snow and don't have another set of wheels/tires, then you shouldn't be considering summer tires.
[/b]
Good catch, ShaDrag! I missed that entirely. A big difference between the two is that the Falkens are summer compound tires and the Proxes4 are all-season (meaning they are good for light to moderate snow). I also believe the Proxes4 will give longer treadlife. Falkens will probably have an edge on the Proxes4 in the handling department, but probably to a degree you'd notice only on the track or with very aggressive driving in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very good catch on the summer tires...didnt even notice that they weren't all seasons

now i'm goin to have to look at the Falken Ziex Ze 512....

i know MANYYYYY people on here love the Proxes4, and i know MATT loved them over the oem tires.

i'm really looking to go up in size to the 225...but instead of the 45 that everyones rocking could i possibly do a 225/50R17 instead!? watcha think toyo? i've seen somewhere one of the many documented fights you've been in and posthech or something whatever his name is said the best tire to run would be a 225/50 so i'm thinking maybe i should just go with that because thats what the oem's were..? and besides having a smaller wheel gap without springs or coilovers is always a +

important for me is of course handling/performance, second would be wet handling, third would be snow, i'm not going off roading or tearing up any parking lots in a blizzard, only go out when i need to. The Michelin's weren't to bad in the snow i could drive around without much of a problem.

lastly they need to be quiet, i mean i'm usually always drowning everything out with my sub, but for those hung over mornings trying to go home...when i dont need any more bass to increase the pain...i need a smooth queit ride...

its a tall order i know...but any other Ultra High Performance All Season's to consider for a reasonable 100 buxish a tire!?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i'm really looking to go up in size to the 225...but instead of the 45 that everyones rocking could i possibly do a 225/50R17 instead!? watcha think toyo? i've seen somewhere one of the many documented fights you've been in and posthech or something whatever his name is said the best tire to run would be a 225/50 so i'm thinking maybe i should just go with that because thats what the oem's were..? and besides having a smaller wheel gap without springs or coilovers is always a +

[/b]
(It's not a name but a handle. :cheers:)

For a 225/50-17 tire, the normal measuring rim is 7"; for a 225/45-17 tire, the normal measuring rim is 7.5". The 225/50 tire is the better fit for the stock 7" rims. There will be some minor speedometer and odometer error.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(It's not a name but a handle. :cheers:)

For a 225/50-17 tire, the normal measuring rim is 7"; for a 225/45-17 tire, the normal measuring rim is 7.5". The 225/50 tire is the better fit for the stock 7" rims. There will be some minor speedometer and odometer error.
[/b]
people always gotta get technical..but thank you very much for the answer. If i dont get a tire from someone on the forum in the next day or so i'm going to spring for a set of the beefy 225/50 tires, because i think unless you get a drop with the 225/45 it looks a little SUV ish for the 6 IMO.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Toyo Proxes ftw!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
people always gotta get technical..but thank you very much for the answer. If i dont get a tire from someone on the forum in the next day or so i'm going to spring for a set of the beefy 225/50 tires, because i think unless you get a drop with the 225/45 it looks a little SUV ish for the 6 IMO.
[/b]
Either size will work the same, but if you think 225/45R17 looks SUVish, then check out my pic here:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=782313

My personal choice is the 225/45R17 for the handling advantage.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toyo...i seen that picture, lol its quite hillarious, almost looks as if you're ready to go offroading with the 6!!! lol Thanks though

i'd probably have to give it to the Pilot Exalto's over the Proxes 4's in the snow, because the Proxes are more of an Ultra High Performance A/S tires, but for your location i'd go with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S,

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay i've finally gotten a list together.

1) Kumho Ecsta AST - 82 per tire free shipping = 328 from discounttiredirect.com
2) Falken Ziex Ze 512-75 per tire + 45.28 ship = 345.28 from edgeracing.com
3) Hankook Ventus Hrii H405 - 77 per tire + 45.28 ship = 353.28 from edgeracing.com
4) Toyo Proxes 4 - 93 per tire + 46.84 = 418.84 from edgeracing.com

5)Yoko Avid V4S...kinda pricey as well as the Potenza's G009.

So now my reasoning behind the pics....
Kumho's are up top because of the price.
Falken's because of price, and ability to handle in the snow, along with performance
Hankook just because they look nice, and suppose to be a quiet tire. Performance for these H405's are suppose to be good as well, but the reviews were a bit mixed.

And for Toyoguy of course...
Toyo's are on the bottom because they are suppose to be a tad louder than stock, and lets be serious our cars seem to be a bit loud inside the cabin. and 2 they aren't really "suppose" to be that good in snow..but then again which all season tires are? lol From what i rem. on Stretchs review from 6tech the Falkens are the way to go if you see snow...no offence to all the proxy owners because i know you probably love the handling and performance of these tires, but anyone had a chance to try these tires out in the snow yet?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have the kumho's (ASX) and love them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Okay i've finally gotten a list together.

1) Kumho Ecsta AST - 82 per tire free shipping = 328 from discounttiredirect.com
2) Falken Ziex Ze 512-75 per tire + 45.28 ship = 345.28 from edgeracing.com
3) Hankook Ventus Hrii H405 - 77 per tire + 45.28 ship = 353.28 from edgeracing.com
4) Toyo Proxes 4 - 93 per tire + 46.84 = 418.84 from edgeracing.com

5)Yoko Avid V4S...kinda pricey as well as the Potenza's G009.
So now my reasoning behind the pics....
Kumho's are up top because of the price.
Falken's because of price, and ability to handle in the snow, along with performance
Hankook just because they look nice, and suppose to be a quiet tire. Performance for these H405's are suppose to be good as well, but the reviews were a bit mixed.

And for Toyoguy of course...
Toyo's are on the bottom because they are suppose to be a tad louder than stock, and lets be serious our cars seem to be a bit loud inside the cabin. and 2 they aren't really "suppose" to be that good in snow..but then again which all season tires are? lol From what i rem. on Stretchs review from 6tech the Falkens are the way to go if you see snow...no offence to all the proxy owners because i know you probably love the handling and performance of these tires, but anyone had a chance to try these tires out in the snow yet?
[/b]
If you're seriously looking for an performance A/S tire that can be competent in snow, I'd go for the Sumitomo HTR+.

I don't like the Falken Ziex 512 cause the tread width is damn narrow compared to their competitor of the same tire size. They wear QUICKLY. And I can't get out of my driveway when there's 6" of fresh snow. My driveway is at basement level, and I need to go up a ramp to street level. If I can't get out of my driveway, then the tires are not good for snow in my book.

P Zero Nero are the worse tires to have in winter. No movement whatsoever in the driveway. I was blocking the middle of the driveway for everyone else. I had to get on my hands and knees with a mason chisel and hammer to break through the packed snow/ice to blacktop to move the car. So looking at the tread patterns of the Proxes4 and AST, I don't think those tires would fare better.

I haven't been disappointed so far with what the HTR+ can do for the price they are going for. They can pull a car out of snow. They don't hydroplane at highway speeds in the rain (unlike the Michelins). Plenty of grip for your highway on and off ramps. Mega wide tread. I have 215-50-17 on the stock rims and almost negates the need to go 225-45-17.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're seriously looking for an performance A/S tire that can be competent in snow, I'd go for the Sumitomo HTR+.

I don't like the Falken Ziex 512 cause the tread width is damn narrow compared to their competitor of the same tire size. They wear QUICKLY. And I can't get out of my driveway when there's 6" of fresh snow. My driveway is at basement level, and I need to go up a ramp to street level. If I can't get out of my driveway, then the tires are not good for snow in my book.

P Zero Nero are the worse tires to have in winter. No movement whatsoever in the driveway. I was blocking the middle of the driveway for everyone else. I had to get on my hands and knees with a mason chisel and hammer to break through the packed snow/ice to blacktop to move the car. So looking at the tread patterns of the Proxes4 and AST, I don't think those tires would fare better.

I haven't been disappointed so far with what the HTR+ can do for the price they are going for. They can pull a car out of snow. They don't hydroplane at highway speeds in the rain (unlike the Michelins). Plenty of grip for your highway on and off ramps. Mega wide tread. I have 215-50-17 on the stock rims and almost negates the need to go 225-45-17.
[/b]
wow...after some of the reviews on tirerack....i haven't seen 1 SINGLE DISAPPOINTED person that purchased these tires...Hmmm very interesting...gonna do some homework on these bad boys....too bad they dont look cooler though :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
For what it's worth, a leading consumer magazine (Nov) tested some tires:

1 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
2 Yokohama AVID V4S
4 Continental ContiPro Contact
5 Falkin Ziex ZE512
6 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

1 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
2 Yokohama AVID V4S
5 Falkin Ziex ZE512
[/b]

What was ranked #3? and what magazine was this!? lol the Pilots as #1??? i do agree when they are new they're not to bad...but damn run em for more than 20k miles and you'll start to see how crappy they are.... These Sumitomo HTR+ tires aren't bad though...anyone else running these?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

1 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
2 Yokohama AVID V4S
5 Falkin Ziex ZE512
[/b]
Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's are number one? :goon: That's the OEM 17" tire that everyone here can't wait to replace! I beg to differ but I have the Falkens and they are way better than the Pilots based on my experience. I would dare say that the Avid and ContiPro are better too. I just don't get it. Perhaps, it's only the 215/50/17 MXM4's that suck at life.

·
Registered
676 Posts
wow...after some of the reviews on tirerack....i haven't seen 1 SINGLE DISAPPOINTED person that purchased these tires...Hmmm very interesting...gonna do some homework on these bad boys....too bad they dont look cooler though :p
[/b]
They may not look sexy, but the HTR+ do work. When you see the tread pattern in person, it's pretty agressive with it's large tread blocks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Consumer Reports.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts