Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you made up your mind already to buy the 6, or are you still considering other options? For those that have already bought or made up your mind, what other cars were on your list before you bought? Here are some of mine:

1. Subaru WRX wagon
2. Keep my Forester and buy a used Miata
3. Audi A4
4. Subaru Forester Turbo (if they bring it over)
5. Subaru WRX STi (if they bring it over)
6. Infiniti G35

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is your mind made up?'

Oh, hell, Kenoka, go with #2!! I would love to be in that situation!

But I'm not. So my viable contenders are as follows:
1. VW Passat
2. Nissan Altima
3. Mazda 626
4. Toyota Camry
5. Honda Accord

Pending test drives and the wife, of course.

Kenoka, I also note that all the cars you listed (save the Forester and Miata) are in a smaller size class.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Oh, hell, Kenoka, go with #2!!  I would love to be in that situation!

But I'm not.  So my viable contenders are as follows:
1.  VW Passat
2.  Nissan Altima
3.  Mazda 626
4.  Toyota Camry
5.  Honda Accord

Pending test drives and the wife, of course.

Kenoka, I also note that all the cars you listed (save the Forester and Miata) are in a smaller size class.  [/b]
Smaller than the 6????

They're not (not one whole class at least).

·
Registered
837 Posts

My list tends to agree with applejax.

Beside the M6.

1. Infiniti G35
2. Lexus IS300
3. 2003 Honda Accord
4. Nissan Altima
5. Audi A4
6. VW Passat

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Kenoka, I also note that all the cars you listed (save the Forester and Miata) are in a smaller size class.  [/b]
Smaller than the 6????

They're not (not one whole class at least).[/b][/quote]

They are. First, let's review the '6:
Wheelbase: 105.3 inches
Length: 186.8 inches
Legroom front/rear: 42.3 / 36.5 inches
Passenger Volume: 96.1 cubic feet
Trunk: 15.2 cubic feet, is it?

Let's revisit Kenoka's list:

Subaru WRX Wagon
Wheelbase: 99.4
Length: 173.4
Legroom front/rear: 42.9 / 33.7
Passenger volume: 90.4 cubic feet
Cargo: n/a due to hatch

Audi A4
Wheelbase: 104.3
Length: 179.0
Legroom front/rear: 41.3 / 34.3
Passenger Volume: 90.1
Cargo: 13.4

Infiniti G35 - Whoops! I was thinking of the coupe. The sedan is quite roomy.

But point made, the Subaru WRX in either trim, as well as the Audi, are both a smaller car than the '6.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

About the only other car right now that I'd consider besides the 6 is the Acura TSX, and that only if the 6 doesn't offer a Nav system and/or DSC on the SportsHatch when it's finally released.

I test drove a new 2003 accord the other day just for grins. It's interior is beautiful. It's probably about the same interior that the TSX will get. I think it's cool that Honda offers a voice activated Navigation and climate control system as well as a factory installed MP3 player as options.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Smaller than the 6????

Subaru WRX Wagon

Audi A4

But point made, the Subaru WRX in either trim, as well as the Audi, are both a smaller car than the '6.
[/b][/quote]

Variations in size, yes, but not to the point I would consider these cars belonging to different classes. They are all big midsize autos, nothing else...:)

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

.. what other cars were on your list before you bought?[/b]
1. Skoda Octavia RS Combi (180 hp, 17" alloys, etc.)

2. Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS SportWagon
3. Renault Laguna GrandTour
4. Peugeot 406 Break
5. Mazda 626 Wagon

Coen

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Smaller than the 6????

Subaru WRX Wagon

Audi A4

[/b][/quote]

Variations in size, yes, but not to the point I would consider these cars belonging to different classes. They are all big midsize autos, nothing else...:) [/b][/quote]

See, I veiw them almost as compacts. The Subaru is about the same size as the Focus, for example. The Audi is pushing it, but I still don't consider them as midsize. Compare them with Accord, Altima, Passat - that's what I consider midsize - and they are all bigger.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Applejax - You know what's funny, is that everyone views the Impreza as a compact and the Forester as a mid-size, but in reality they're built on identical platforms! No stretching, nothing. The Forester has a raised suspension with additional travel which is nice off road, and also a higher roof, which gives a lot of headroom. Personally I don't need the extra headroom; I'm a shorty. I don't really need a big car. I don't have any kids, and I'm not planning on having any. I like the hatch because of my dog, and because of generic utility hauling, but I don't usually need all the room the Forester has. I know I'd be happy in the 6 hatchback, but I really do love AWD. Living in the rainy Northwest, I think it's almost a necessity. That's why the WRX and A4 top my list. I have nearly eliminated the A4 for a few reasons:
1. Price
2. Reliability
3. Handling (rather vague and uninspiring - it's built for the Autobahn: nice for high speed cruising, sucky for twisties).
I like the interior, and the moddability of the 1.8T engine. Probably the only reason I'm not driving a WRX wagon right now is because I don't care for the exterior design. If they do a good job on the remodel (to be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show) it may top the list again. Many people complain about the interior of the WRX. Bollocks. My girlfriend bought a 2002 Impreza RS after I got WRX fever for awhile, and let me tell you that interior is solid, tight, and functional. It's no nonsense, but the seats are wonderful, the driving position is first rate, and fit and finish is very good for the class.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

What I think (Yes I am bored right now and have nothing to do :D)
The Octavia is a nice car... at first. But look at those propotions! It's a big middleclass car built on a Golf frame! It has realy realy short wheelbase for it's size. A Ocatvia RS I saw had plastic fake rear discbrakes! No that's not a car I would go for (but thats me). :D

The Alfa is a nice car, although I can't se the really big deal in it... The 6' wagon is much much better looking. The Laguna is also better looking.

Peugeot 506 is really nice, but the estate looks somewhat booring, I have seen picures of the 2003/4 model, sedan, and it reallt looks good though! More 607 style.. Maybe the estate will be more sporty as well.

Audi A4 is a really nice one, but isn't it expensive compared to it's "classmates"?

Subaru's wagon is really strange looking. The Forester on the other hand looks really nice. Does seem to have it's weight quite low, compared to for example Opel Frontera and other off road wannabee's.

Infinity.. Well it's a Nissan right? Can't stand the thing. I belvie the new Skyline is of the same design-type.. And they really ruined the new Skyline.. It's hardly even a sedan anymore!

One car I see all of you have ignoerd is the old Vectra. It's really good looking, not so expensive and I at least havn't heard any bad things about it. The bad thing might be though that it is as I wrote - old.

Buy the way, speaking of Opel, saw a black/realy dark gray Omega MV6 estate with tinted windows, 17" 5-spokes (Opel standard, really wide spokes) and skirts/spoilers and a rear wing. YUMMY!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Applejax - You know what's funny, is that everyone views the Impreza as a compact and the Forester as a mid-size, but in reality they're built on identical platforms!  No stretching, nothing.  The Forester has a raised suspension with additional travel which is nice off road, and also a higher roof, which gives a lot of headroom.  Personally I don't need the extra headroom; I'm a shorty.  I don't really need a big car.  I don't have any kids, and I'm not planning on having any.  I like the hatch because of my dog, and because of generic utility hauling, but I don't usually need all the room the Forester has.  I know I'd be happy in the 6 hatchback, but I really do love AWD.  Living in the rainy Northwest, I think it's almost a necessity.  That's why the WRX and A4 top my list.  

Probably the only reason I'm not driving a WRX wagon right now is because I don't care for the exterior design.  If they do a good job on the remodel (to be unveiled at the Paris Motor Show) it may top the list again.  Many people complain about the interior of the WRX.  Bollocks.  My girlfriend bought a 2002 Impreza RS after I got WRX fever for awhile, and let me tell you that interior is solid, tight, and functional.  It's no nonsense, but the seats are wonderful, the driving position is first rate, and fit and finish is very good for the class.[/b]
What's even more interesting is my stupidity. I know the Impreza and the Forester are on the same platform, but never made the association! The Forester looks much bigger!

AWD is great, and the Impreza is a solid car, but the brakes seemed poor and turned me off. I would opt for a better-braking-car with some sort of DSC or even just Traction Control.

And from everything you said (ie. no children)
GO FOR THE MIATA!!

Although give some serious thought to the children issue. I was anti-children until ours :)
(and I still don't like kids as a rule)

Not to "preach" but I speak from experience. It's quite amazing. Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Applejax - My only hesitation on the Miata thing is the lack of garage space. We only have a two car garage, which means that one of my vehicles would have to spend the winter outdoors.
Forester: This would be my winter daily driver, so if it lived outside, I'd have to scrape ice off of it for several months. Yuck. Plus chillier seats
Miata: Softtop outside=madness.

It's not that we've completely ruled out children, it's just that every time we think or talk about it, the idea gets a little less appealing.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Applejax - My only hesitation on the Miata thing is the lack of garage space.  We only have a two car garage, which means that one of my vehicles would have to spend the winter outdoors.  
Forester: This would be my winter daily driver, so if it lived outside, I'd have to scrape ice off of it for several months.  Yuck.  Plus chillier seats
Miata: Softtop outside=madness.

It's not that we've completely ruled out children, it's just that every time we think or talk about it, the idea gets a little less appealing.[/b]
So what about a hardtop for the Miata? The price is nothing in the grand scheme of a car loan.

And reading your post, it sounds like we are missing a car. What is the third car?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The third car is my girlfriend's 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan.[/b]
So keep that outside and let her scrape the ice off!!

Or, you could get a remote starter. :sarc [/b][/quote]

Remote starting is not a good thingie during the winter. I would recommend an engine heater (they have a pager in their electronics, making it possible to call them from the office and say - heat her up!!)

A good engine heater (they take gas out of the tank) also circulates the air inside the car to give you some winter comfort.

The reason I don't recommend remote starting in the winter is that cold starting dramatically adds to the engine wear. Even though a good oil does it job even when it's cold, the lubrication does not work as intended. When it's really cold outside, the wear from one cold start equals the wear of 700 miles...or something like that.

I have many years experience from Arctic winters...trust me on this.

Electric engine heaters are great also - and much cheaper. You just plug them in, and they can be started by timer or by a pager call... Combine them with a heater for the inside and you'll do great.

:D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I'm glad our winters don't get that cold. Brrrrr.
So keep that outside and let her scrape the ice off!![/b]
Yeah, THAT'LL happen. [wayne] And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt! [/wayne]
:hoho

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.