Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my stock wheels and tires from the shop, left them there until i could use my dads truck... so i also asked if they could take the tires off of the rims so i could sell the rims and they said why you gonna do that, you need to have atleast 2 stock wheels and tires on the front in order to get a proper alignment... Is this true, the front end can not be aligned with aftermarket wheels and tires??

the alignment is fine now since i just had one done after my MS Springs were installed but before aftermarket wheels and tires....

Please dont misunderstand, i know i dont need and alignment right now but in the future.....

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've heard that is difficult to do an alignment with some aftermarket wheels.

When I had my cavalier a few years ago with my Motegi MR7's a shop told me that alignment could not be done. I had to wait till I had my stockers on.

Something about the rim lip needs to be large enough to grab on to. They didn't want to deflate my tires to do an alignment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What the heck! The only difference the wheels would make is if there was some difficulty mounting the alignment machine on each of your new wheels (possible but not probable). Also, they just may be afraid that mounting the alignment modules on your new wheels might scar them but a competent alignment shop shouldn't have any difficulties.

I'd suggest looking for a different shop for alignments.

Oh, I almost forgot: Your new wheels look great. :)

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've had the same issue, but with my stock 17" wheels. The shop I took the car to wasn't able to do the alignment due to my stock wheels not having the necessary "lip" where the alignment equipment could attach.

I had to go to Mazda to get it done.

The shop where I tried getting the alignment done were charging $40 for the job... dealer charged me $90.

A cheap shop is not equipped to handle certain types of wheel designs.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the same issue, but with my stock 17" wheels. The shop I took the car to wasn't able to do the alignment due to my stock wheels not having the necessary "lip" where the alignment equipment could attach.

I had to go to Mazda to get it done.

The shop where I tried getting the alignment done were charging $40 for the job... dealer charged me $90.

A cheap shop is not equipped to handle certain types of wheel designs.
[/b]
so the dealership should be able to do it regardless of what type of wheel, because thats fine with me... i prefer to sell my stockies and not have them hanging around....

What the heck! The only difference the wheels would make is if there was some difficulty mounting the alignment machine on each of your new wheels (possible but not probable). Also, they just may be afraid that mounting the alignment modules on your new wheels might scar them but a competent alignment shop shouldn't have any difficulties.

I'd suggest looking for a different shop for alignments.
Oh, I almost forgot: Your new wheels look great. :)
[/b]

yeah the shop just sold me the wheels and installed them, they dont do alignments....

·
Registered
329 Posts
It depends on the type of equipment the shop is using for doing the alignment. Some shops use old outdated weights that need a rather large lip on the rim to be able to put them on. Sometimes depending on the rim the weights can be mounted upside down and still work. Most of the higher end speed shops do it with lazer systems and can use pretty much any rim/tire combo as long as there is enough fender clearance to put on the reflective pad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most shops can do the alignment but they won't gaurantee their work because it isn't to "factory specs". At least that is what they told me when got my last vechile lowered it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
so the dealership should be able to do it regardless of what type of wheel, because thats fine with me... i prefer to sell my stockies and not have them hanging around....

[/b]
He still had his stockers on, the shop he took his car to couldn't do the alignment with the stockers on.

I'm sure Mazda would balk at the sight of aftermarket wheels and an alignment request.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just picked up my stock wheels and tires from the shop, left them there until i could use my dads truck... so i also asked if they could take the tires off of the rims so i could sell the rims and they said why you gonna do that, you need to have atleast 2 stock wheels and tires on the front in order to get a proper alignment... Is this true, the front end can not be aligned with aftermarket wheels and tires??

the alignment is fine now since i just had one done after my MS Springs were installed but before aftermarket wheels and tires....

Please dont misunderstand, i know i dont need and alignment right now but in the future.....

Thanks
[/b]

really? so anyone with aftermarket wheels is just shit out of luck..? do they really think we're all that stupid?
if the shop has an older alignment rack they might not have the necessary adapters to work with some wheels. with aluminum wheels becoming more and more common on production cars these days, any shop that can't handle wheels with or without a "lip" on them probably should be avoided.
Take your business elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts