1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Mazda 6s
v6 3.0L

Issue:

Happens not very often maybe once every month and now once every 2wks and at times back to back on starting car. When problem occurs it take 4x - 6x keys turns get car started (I wait 30sec between each removing key completely). First turn heard starter go click others turns nothing (somethings) and finally it starts. When it occur at times I have ran AutoZone right away and they check battery, starter, alternator all good. Happens every blue moon...battery has been replaced 1yr 2mo old now thought was issue in past. Again have had this issue for 40k miles. Annoying and weird...

I have also been told that it is a bad commutator ring on starter and replace the starter..

Please advise??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does the engine crank and it just doesn't start? If it's cranking and sounding normal but not starting I wouldn't think that it's the starter or anything electrical. Could be fuel delivery if that's the case, maybe the fuel filter at that many miles on the car if it hasn't been changed. If I'm missunderstanding your description disregard this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the engine crank and it just doesn't start? If it's cranking and sounding normal but not starting I wouldn't think that it's the starter or anything electrical. Could be fuel delivery if that's the case, maybe the fuel filter at that many miles on the car if it hasn't been changed. If I'm missunderstanding your description disregard this.
So the engine does not make a noise. When I turn the key engine never turns over...only after I pause and then try turning the key a few times it then turns engine over and start...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your battery cables on the battery terminals. Remove any corrosion on the cables and battery posts. I had to replace my positive cable connection at around 40k because of excessive corrosion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your battery cables on the battery terminals. Remove any corrosion on the cables and battery posts. I had to replace my positive cable connection at around 40k because of excessive corrosion.
1. Are you saying you had similar issue?

2. The positive cable you replaced where all did it run to...positive to battery and to the starter. Was it to battery, starter, alternator?

3. Where did you get the cable?

Thx

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Solenoid is warn. Its a giant magnet with a switch. The switch contacts are no longer making a good connection. Over time they wear and become random. Also the Bendix being dirty/gummy and cleaning and regrease can hep that. Throw a solenoid on it or replace the starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts