Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take my car in to have the brakes looked at and they ended up resurfacing the rotors because they were warped. I got out after driving back from the dealership and I looked at the rotors and it's pretty clear where the pads are contacting vs where they aren't. On the drivers side there's about 1 1/4" of shiny new metal where the brake pads are making contact and the rest of the rotor still has the crosshatching from resurfacing. The passenger side is only about 1". I went out to drive it for a while and the drivers side seems to have bit a little more into the rotor and it's about 1 1/2" down now but the passenger side is still the same. Is this normal, because it sure doesn't *seem* normal (but the brakes seem fine, stopping as well as they have in a while). Will the brake pad geometry be changed with warped rotors to the point where there's a high spot on them? Will they eventually be worn back to normal, if so how long will it take? And the amount of brake dust is just stupid on both wheels leading me to believe that the pads are being ground down and will eventually be flat and able to make contact with the entire rotor, although I'm not expert. Any ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had to take my car in to have the brakes looked at and they ended up resurfacing the rotors because they were warped. I got out after driving back from the dealership and I looked at the rotors and it's pretty clear where the pads are contacting vs where they aren't. On the drivers side there's about 1 1/4" of shiny new metal where the brake pads are making contact and the rest of the rotor still has the crosshatching from resurfacing. The passenger side is only about 1". I went out to drive it for a while and the drivers side seems to have bit a little more into the rotor and it's about 1 1/2" down now but the passenger side is still the same. Is this normal, because it sure doesn't *seem* normal (but the brakes seem fine, stopping as well as they have in a while). Will the brake pad geometry be changed with warped rotors to the point where there's a high spot on them? Will they eventually be worn back to normal, if so how long will it take? And the amount of brake dust is just stupid on both wheels leading me to believe that the pads are being ground down and will eventually be flat and able to make contact with the entire rotor, although I'm not expert. Any ideas?
[/b]
Well for the first thing.. if your rotors got warped in the first place, it is not the best thing too have them resurfaced. Since nopw there is even less material on them then before. So the warping will only get worst quicker then before. But you might even have bigger problem then that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much does it cost you? From my experience resurfacing is not much cheaper than getting new rotors, so i don't know if there's any point doing the service.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
never get your rotors resurfaced especially when tinned out . today's rotors are conceived , so that after 1, 2 pairs of pads worn through ; you have to change them since they are too thin .
Your last presumptions are right , now it's going to cost you twice for your bad decision , but don't wait and get everything new this time . Maybe some Hawk pads , they won't dust much at all .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts