Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all. I know little to nothing about brakes, other than the fact that I let other people work on them. So riddle me this:

At 25K miles, I had my pads replaced and my rotors machined under the brake groan TSB. I am now at 70K, and according to the dealer's service dudes, my brakes are at 8mm front and 6mm back. According to the service manager, that's "plent of millimeters left."

I use manual mode about 90% of the time, so I brake very little and usually very light (or very hard on rare occasions). Should my brakes still be good? Should I have someone else look at them?

It seems like I have always needed to replace pads at 35K or 40K on the other vehicles I've owned...

Oh, BTW -- they're stock OEM rotors and semi-metallic pads....

Thanks!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Manual mode helps save brakes for sure, I just don't know how much. You can look at the caliper and tell though. If the spacing seems very small, well it's getting close. Compare the front and rear. The rear will always have more pad if all they were all changed at once. Also if you ran out of pad you'll know, it'll squeak like crazy.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hearing a little squeak from the fronts, but he said it was just dust. I just want to make sure the dealership is getting it right. Just paranoia.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am hearing a little squeak from the fronts, but he said it was just dust. I just want to make sure the dealership is getting it right. Just paranoia.
[/b]
Typically, I would expect the dealer to push you to change your brake pads early just to get you business. As long as the pedal doesn't pulsate, stopping distance doesn't seem to be dramatically longer than in the past, you don't have to mash the pedal to the floor to stop and no extremely loud squeal when coming to a stop, I would say your brakes are okay.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
your probably just fine. keep going until the dealer yells at you to change your brake pads.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Thanks, guys. I'll just count my blessings that I don't have to spend the $$ right now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts