Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my sister-in-law and I were shopping for a new 6 for her daughter.

We went to a dealer in Monrovia CA and we test drove a black 2006 6s Grand Touring ATX. The car was really nice and fully loaded (18" wheels also). The price was $28K and the dealer was giving out a $5.5k discount. We were able to get the car an out-of-the-door price of $22K.

Now we were sitting in the salesman's office and were ready to sign some papers. Then he hit us up on signing this doc which also requires both of my sister-in-law's thumb prints! I mean WTF? Is my sister-in-law being booked in jail or was she trying to buy a car? :swearin:

To make a long story short we left the dealership and got another 6s (same model, same trim, same color, same year, same price) in Alhambra Mazda without the thumb prints! :nana:

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Yesterday my sister-in-law and I were shopping for a new 6 for her daughter.

We went to a dealer in Monrovia CA and we test drove a black 2006 6s Grand Touring ATX. The car was really nice and fully loaded (18" wheels also). The price was $28K and the dealer was giving out a $5.5k discount. We were able to get the car an out-of-the-door price of $22K.

Now we were are sitting in the salesman's office and were ready to sign some papers. Then he hit us up on signing this doc which also requires both of my sister-in-law's thumb prints! I mean WTF? Is my sister-in-law being booked in jail or was she trying to buy a car? :swearin:

To make a long story short we left the dealership and got another 6s (same model, same trim, same color, same year, same price) in Alhambra Mazda without the thumb prints! :nana:

What do you guys think?
[/b]
They are trying to cover their butts in case you write a bad check, or they have some kind of financial issue with you.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Now we were sitting in the salesman's office and were ready to sign some papers. Then he hit us up on signing this doc which also requires both of my sister-in-law's thumb prints! I mean WTF? Is my sister-in-law being booked in jail or was she trying to buy a car?[/b]

I am sure you must have asked the same question to the salesman. What was his reply?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I agree with DaBears2k - they were trying to cover their butts. With a thumb print on file there is no way someone could say it wasn't them that made the purpose - "someone must have stolen my identity!" An ID can be faked, but not a thumb print (at least not very easily.)

Is it common for that to happen? No idea, but if it is, NY and LA would seem the two most likely places where it would happen. And it wouldn't surprise me if they get a lower insurance premium (if someone did get a car that way it would qualify as theft and be covered under insurance) if they require a thumb print when making a sale.

Is it legal? Sure. No one is forcing you to do it and you can always walk away - just like you did.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The best way would be to take your mugshots, stick it on the contract papers and make you fingerprint those so that half are on the picture and half on the contract paper.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The best way would be to take your mugshots, stick it on the contract papers and make you fingerprint those so that half are on the picture and half on the contract paper.
[/b]
Shhh!!!

Don't give them any ideas!
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Unless you have something to hide, I don't see why you wouldn't give a thumbprint.
[/b]
i wouldn't do it...but then again i have a lot to hide ;)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Unless you have something to hide, I don't see why you wouldn't give a thumbprint.
[/b]
Maybe some of us just don't like being treated like a criminal when we have nothing to hide. Do you like getting stopped by the police at a random search roadblock? If you do, and you have nothing to hide, why do you mind? Same thing, IMO, except with the police you have no choice in the matter. At least with the car dealer there are still others willing to do business with us without that suspicion included in the transaction.

If you don't mind it, then by all means buy there. Otherwise, like I said, if you don't like it go somewhere they don't require it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
[/b]
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Why? Because it's an unnecessary invasion of privacy and just plain poor customer service. If we consumers allow such an invasion of privacy, even once, we'll find ourselves doing it again and again for every simple transaction.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Im a naturalized us citizen so I got printed a loooong time ago. No criminal life for me :), unless i surgically remove my prints that is. :).

.... or wear gloves.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welp ya sounds odd. Probably like they said to cover their butts, but I would be against it. I would tell them to knock off another 2k for my prints... HEHEH

·
Registered
167 Posts
I find it funny. People knee jerk at such odd things. What is a thumbprint? A "more reliable" form of identification. If you honestly have problem with the thumbprint, then in all honesty, to prevent being hypocritical, you should be complaining as well about the picture and signature you (probably) have printed on your license. They are in fact no different than the thumbprint, or even a retinal scan for you security weenies out there. It comes down to a matter difficulty in reproduction.

Signature < Photo < Thumbprint

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin
[/b]
:D So I must ask, just to be philosophical... In this day and age, our soldiers have blood samples taken for (I assume multiple reasons) but primarily for the use of DNA ID of a body if, god forbid, is necessary. To me, this is an extreme version of the before mentioned case. But, is this invasion of privacy or a method to help a soldier be returned to his family and loved ones?

Anyways, when did anonymity become an essential liberty?

To ToyFigure (Modcon, thanks for setting me straight) though, if that is your opinion, which you're justified to, you gave your opinion in about the most influential and effective way you can in this country. You made him lose money. Though I hate to let you all in on the secret (no not really) but you will all be using your thumbprint in the next 10-15 years or so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find it funny. People knee jerk at such odd things. What is a thumbprint? A "more reliable" form of identification. If you honestly have problem with the thumbprint, then in all honesty, to prevent being hypocritical, you should be complaining as well about the picture and signature you (probably) have printed on your license. They are in fact no different than the thumbprint, or even a retinal scan for you security weenies out there. It comes down to a matter difficulty in reproduction.

Signature < Photo < Thumbprint
:D So I must ask, just to be philosophical... In this day and age, our soldiers have blood samples taken for (I assume multiple reasons) but primarily for the use of DNA ID of a body if, god forbid, is necessary. To me, this is an extreme version of the before mentioned case. But, is this invasion of privacy or a method to help a soldier be returned to his family and loved ones?

Anyways, when did anonymity become an essential liberty?

To Modcon though, if that is your opinion, which you're justified to, you gave your opinion in about the most influential and effective way you can in this country. You made him lose money. Though I hate to let you all in on the secret (no not really) but you will all be using your thumbprint in the next 10-15 years or so.
[/b]
don't you just love when people come out of their face acting as though they are so smart. Plain and simple, a thumbprint is not normal procedure. It is invasive. It is a violation of privacy, and you shouldn't be ok with giving more information than needed. What's next a urine sample and prostate exam? You have to make sure the buyer is in good enough health to pay off the loans right?

PUH-LEEs

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Shhh!!!

Don't give them any ideas!
:laugh: [/b]
I think they did the right thing. The day I'm asked to pose for a mug shot or subject to being fingerprinted for a simple loan is the day that merchant looses a sale. Obviously this is NOT the norm and I would really like to know what the dealer's explaination for such a practice is.
I can see the logic a little bit better in a bank where you don't have an account, but unless this particular dealer's financing outlet has been thru a bad run with credit problems it doesn't make sense.
Was this a loan thru Mazda American Credit or a local lender? If MAC was doing that you think it would be nation-wide and not just in one particular location. And heck, once the loan goes thru the dealer gets their money so its not likely they're doing it for their own benefit.

Interesting, and more than a little disturbing.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
To Modcon though, if that is your opinion, which you're justified to, you gave your opinion in about the most influential and effective way you can in this country. You made him lose money. Though I hate to let you all in on the secret (no not really) but you will all be using your thumbprint in the next 10-15 years or so.
[/b]
Sorry, but it wasn't me. Personally, I would have to see what the deal was and decide if it was good enough to warrant the print.

I like the idea of asking for more of a discount if I give my print that fullmetal6 put out there. After all, if by giving my print I am making their part of the transaction more secure and less likely to end in fraud, which saves them money, then I should be compensated for that savings as well! :)

Anyway, I agree more positive forms of ID will become the norm over the next few decades and we will have little choice in the matter - just like driver's licenses. Right now in Oklahoma they are doing the left index finger rahter than the thumb - and I'm not sure if it is required, but I think it is.

But now there are other businesses doing it as well:

Dollar Rent a Car experimenting with requiring a thumb print at some locations

I guess we'll see how well all of this works out.

Anyone ready for a National ID card?
:laugh:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought it was a legitamite point.

Today, at a minimum, you need signatures, copies of your drivers license, and something else with your name on it to go into contract.

There was a day when all you needed was a signature to go into contract.

There was a day when all you needed was a handshake to go into contract.

Were they wrong to increase these needs? The current generations hardly flinch anymore when people start photocoping ID's. I'm sure in the 30's, if some car dealer wanted to "copy" a persons license, they would have balked at it thinking the dealer didn't trust them.

But, just my two cents. Forgot to add that last time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts