Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
if it truely was that good why woul;d mazda and other manufactures just do that themselves. It might produce that kind of power but at what cost to potential engine damage?

·
Registered
77 Posts
if it truely was that good why woul;d mazda and other manufactures just do that themselves. It might produce that kind of power but at what cost to potential engine damage?
[/b]
I did this on my car back in february and I haven't had any problems. I made my own kit based off a thread on this forum. Allit does it keep the hot coolant from going through the TB and heating the incoming air. I just put an extension between the incoming and outgoing sides with nipples.

Reason for the coolant through the TB per the old thread was to help the car drive and idle better in really cold weather and for faster cold weather startups..Well it doesn't get cold in TEXAS at all so I don;t need it...

11.95 + 3.95 is a rip off, I got the parts for under $3...

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've posted this twice now, you can do the mod without buying anything. just reroute the one coolant hose and you can remove the other one completely, no need for couplers or blockoffs or anything.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I disagree fgraziano, the coolant is used to heat (commonly) a wax pellet. IF this pellet is left without coolant surrounding it it can dry and be ruind thus tou cannot then revert to stock ever. I would rerout on hose from the block back to the block and one hose I would fill with coolantand rout form the TB back to the TB. In this way you bypass the TB AND keep the ability to go back to stock.

That being said if our car does NOT use the old wax pellet trick then fgraziano is right you can simply leave the TB hose off all together. I did this once on an old car the only issue I had was fluctuating idel in the realllly codl weather.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
like other said you can do it yourself for a few bucks. Notice the gains tho they are starting with 300 hp so they can get 8 or so to the wheels. With less then 200 if you have n/a 6 your looking at 5 tops

·
Registered
922 Posts
yeh, search for coolant bypass mod... most of us on here have done that mod a while ago... also, just FYI, that dyno they posted on the website is from an LS1 running over 300whp already... i'll go ahead and tell you this... the more baseline hp you have the more those "cheap mods" will reflect as actual hp gains...

example... a turbo back for my talon will net roughly 15-20 whp on a bone stock motor... now take my built motor with 3.5 inch turbo back and replace it with the stock 2.5 inch exhaust... my numbers would probably drop anywhere from 40 to 60 hp... so on our motor the coolant mod will net maybe 1-2 hp... on that LS1 in the dyno they are seeing 6-8 as advertised...

also, it looks like the "after dyno" was done using a aftermarket throttle body, EGR mod, AND the coolant bypass... not just the coolant bypass. save your money, DIY!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
bodai808 the others are right. Doubtful much if any HP increase (may help MPG in summer) also this can be done with few or no parts. I did it with a 3/8s brass hose barb and put vacuum caps over the nipples on the throttlebody to keep dirt out. A word of warning though, I don't know were you live but it is a good idea to hook the coolant back up to your TB in winter if gets colder than about 35F. I live in northeast Kansas, at the end of november we had a quick cold snap with temps in the teens and twenties. It came so fast I didn't have time to hook the coolant lines back up to the throttlebody. Twice I jumped into the car to go somewhere and started driving before the engine had warmed to operating temp and the car went into limp home mode (all lights on dash lit and car would only idle) . Not good while driving in KC traffic. Anyway I pulled over, shut the car off and restarted it, and let it warm up. After warming it drove fine but the CEL light was on. I put my scan tool on the car and got DTC P2104 Throttle Actuator Control Forced Idle. I hooked my coolant hoses back up and have not had any problems since. By the way my car is an '03 6s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I guess there is a cheaper way, haha. I'll try it, and it will give better mpg in the summer? so here in Hawaii, its summer all the time and mpg is very important since a gallon of gas here is still $3. I'll search and try this mod myself, thanks for the info guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts