Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I accelerated away from a stop sign today, using Tiptronic/manumatic, I shifted from first to second and the tires chirped. NEVER EVER heard that before in an ATX automobile, and in this one I assumed the computer would shift in such a way to prevent that. I wasn't even mashing down all the way...maybe 3/4 of the way down with the gas.

Is that even possible in the ATX/Tiptronic? All I can think is that the front tires must have slipped on oil or something then re-caught on dry pavement, thus causing the chirp. I did have TCS off, but still....startled me enough that I almost stopped.

Any ideas? Could this be a tranny problem or is it just likely some slippery surface thing? Perhaps time for another reflash?

Ugh.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've chirped my tires before but it's usually pretty hard to do since like you mentioned, the computer gets in the way. In the winter when the temps drop it's easier to do. I did it with my CAI on though, not stock.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Chirping in the ATX is easy, even w/ TCS on and in D mode. Hell I've done it in 2nd gear before.....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, well, if others have done it, I won't worry that the ATX is having issues. Whew. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
LOL funny you mentionet this cause i was like WTF since yesterday i did the same when i was shifting to 2nd my tires chirped.

LOL good thing that's all ok...

THX

·
Registered
801 Posts
It happend to me a few times before specially when the pavement are smooth and the car weights shifts back too much cuz of the torque... You should be happy. :yesnod: Now show those MTX how cool to drive ATX that u can chirp 2nd. :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i can consistently do this. (with brand new tires mind u) without nitrous. all u have to do is shift at 7000 and when u shift lift off on the gass then right when the sincros line up hit the gass again. that's how u shift triptonicly. (not to mention on the track i found this to be the fastest method. (yes it does beat the auto mode))

·
Registered
531 Posts
i can consistently do this. (with brand new tires mind u) without nitrous. all u have to do is shift at 7000 and when u shift lift off on the gass then right when the sincros line up hit the gass again. that's how u shift triptonicly. (not to mention on the track i found this to be the fastest method. (yes it does beat the auto mode))
[/b]

lol, slush boxes don't have synchros, they have planetary gearsets. The sportshift + and - are just two switches that tell the computer to shift up or down. The computer controls shift firmness / quickness mostly through hydraulic pressure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
and if you get the vavle body from cpe you will most defiently chirp gears, i replaces the VB in my old tbird, and would bark 2nd and cirp 3rd with a performance automatic street strip vb, and would do it all the time, plus i ended up putting a chip in to firm up the shifts and the rear would kick out time to time it would shift so hard,

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had this happen once in my 6s.

I also used to make my old '89 Civic LX automatic do this every once in a while, just for the heck of it. Near the house I grew up in, there was a left turn at a stop sign onto a road that then took a bend to the right. If I floored it coming out of the stop sign, by the time I got to the turn the ATX would shift into 2nd and sometimes would chirp the tires.

What a great little car that was. Was grandma's car, I got it in 1999 and it had 35000 miles on it. Yes, she put 35000 miles on it in ten years. Shame that my little brother and his girlfriend got into two separate accidents in it. It's in rough shape now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is not uncommon. Almost a year ago, I had a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 ATX (that I made the mistake of trading for the six-speed and then my awesome Mazda 6). It, of course, had a manual shift gate as well and I found it rather easy to chirp the tires if I wanted to. I was surprised as well at the time. Now, I just drive manual anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
GoBackToSleep
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing