Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping the car for the intake that "should" get here tommorow...

I took the resonator on my 6S out in like 3 minutes... but my speeds is different.

For those of you who removed it, did you take the bumper off??? I can't get to the bolts to the resonator and it doesn't wanna yank out like my old car...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I took the bumper off.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I am prepping the car for the intake that "should" get here tommorow...

I took the resonator on my 6S out in like 3 minutes... but my speeds is different.

For those of you who removed it, did you take the bumper off??? I can't get to the bolts to the resonator and it doesn't wanna yank out like my old car...
[/b]
dont yank on it for sure. its actually bolted on, not slipped under a bolt. theres 3 bolts u need to undo. it would be much easier to remove the bumper. it took me half an hour without doing that. had to turn in the wheel, then reach my skinny arms up there to loosen the bolts. then the resonator had to be shimmied around the coil down there. just remove the bumper, itll save urself a ton of trouble.

·
Registered
403 Posts
dont yank on it for sure. its actually bolted on, not slipped under a bolt. theres 3 bolts u need to undo. it would be much easier to remove the bumper. it took me half an hour without doing that. had to turn in the wheel, then reach my skinny arms up there to loosen the bolts. then the resonator had to be shimmied around the coil down there. just remove the bumper, itll save urself a ton of trouble.
[/b]
What he said, except I used a pair of tweezers to hold the bolts while using some dental floss to turn the nuts. Okay, I made that up, but it was something pretty delicate like that. All the while I'm thinking "This looks only remotely like the pictures in this here 'how-to!" All for a pretty marginal difference in sound. I wouldn't bother doing it unless, like you, you're putting in a CAI.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You do not have to remove the bumper, you just need access to the underside of the car. There is a flat panel that bolts to the underside of the front fascia. We just removed the bolts on THAT side(driver's) of the panel, and pulled it back to access the silencer. The panel is plastic and was not difficult to pull back, once the bolts securing it were removed.

If you have access to a lift, it's a snap, otherwise it can still be accomplished with a floor jack, you just won't be as comfortable. Either way, you will still need to turn the wheel to the left to allow more room to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car is in the air... panel is pulled back... i assure you there isn't a tiny asian in the world who can get these bolts off.... god help me as to what i say to josh tommorow morning... he assured me over and over again bumper removal was not neccessary...

·
Registered
24 Posts
You do not have to remove the bumper, you just need access to the underside of the car. There is a flat panel that bolts to the underside of the front fascia. We just removed the bolts on THAT side(driver's) of the panel, and pulled it back to access the silencer. The panel is plastic and was not difficult to pull back, once the bolts securing it were removed.
[/b]
That's exactaly how I did it. No big deal. Use a 6" extension on a ratchet and you're done.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
no need to remove the bumper. as previously stated, turn wheel all the way to the left, remove triangular panel- a couple 8mm bolts & plastic push pin, then pins from wheel well. no need to lift car either.

i say disassemble only to the extent necessary, but that's my personal preference.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Car is in the air... panel is pulled back... i assure you there isn't a tiny asian in the world who can get these bolts off.... god help me as to what i say to josh tommorow morning... he assured me over and over again bumper removal was not neccessary...
[/b]
Wow, Anthony assured me that I won't have too remove my bumper as well. Man, I am going to be in trouble with my fat arms. LOL :laugh: Post back when you get this accomplished. I'm going to have to call Raynman, "the Tiny Asian". I'm the fat Asian. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've got fat fingers too. the hardest part is removing the three bolts holding the resonator box. still, it's much faster & easier than removing the bumper.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not kidding at all here...

My hands are gushing will blood but the damn thing is off...

And when i say blood, well I am a butcher for a living and this is a lot of blood...

Wiggum - 1 Mazda - 0

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm going to have to call Raynman, "the Tiny Asian". I'm the fat Asian. :laugh:
[/b]
One of the few pros of being 5' 5" a buck thirty pounds. Small hands that can easily get into odd places in the engine bay. I too removed my resonator without taking off the bumper. I did raise the front driver side though. I went in through the bottom splashguard, and just pulled it away. I dont even recall using an extension.

Cool, I get to scope out your MS6. Just lemme know when the Xcel comes in. I'm there, dude. :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I didn't remove the bumper bar either, but for the front 2 bolts, I use the special short handle rachet, so it is easier to reach to the bolts to undo.

·
Registered
300 Posts
[/b]
hahah yea now that i think of it... i wish i would have taken the bumper off to. Taking that stock box off (3 bolts) was a PAIN.. also after the heat shield bolted ..trying to tighten the air filter is a pain as well. Its possible to do without taking off the bumper... but its a hell of a lot more work and squirming...and twisting... and making your arm go into positions u didn;t know it could do....if u trying to install it without taking off the front bumper...i hope u have patience. =D... i posted some pix of the cp-e cai and bov installed i'll have more pix up soon.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
31 Participants
Kokopellian
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing