Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you everyone for your input. I’m dropping the car off at the dealership tomorrow. I’ll post an update once I know more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mazda is listed as the second most reliable manufacturer after Lexus by Consumer Reports. (I believe October issue). 15,000 miles on my 2018 Mazda 6 Sport. No problems.
Yes I saw that article and it was a motivator for me buying this car. I wish my experience lived up to the brand’s reputation.

·
Registered
187 Posts
While this may not change your current situation, I bought a three-year-old 2006 Mazda 6 sport, had it for 10 years (zero problems except for battery dying every 2.5 yrs last 5 yrs of ownership). Then bought a brand new 2016 Mazda 6 grand touring (no mechanical issues except for this weird groaning on the suspension in the front sometimes). Approaching 47,000 miles with no leaks or other issues whatsoever...🙂

If your particular car has been in the shop more than driven, you might consider leveraging the lemon law...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So they are saying that there is not fuel in the oil. I will have a sample tested to confirm. The oil leak is actually a new leak and they put dye in the oil to try and pinpoint exactly where it is leaking. I’m still not sure about keeping this car long term as it just seems prone to issues.
Thank you everyone for your input and just listening to my concerns!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Car is back in the shop now and it is leaking oil again. Waiting to hear back if they were able to pinpoint the source with the dye the put in the oil last time. I’ll let you know what I find out.

·
Super Moderator
16,977 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear about all the issues - even well-established companies like Toyota and Honda can have lemons come out, but it's still very annoying if it happens to you :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The leak was from the timing cover again. They replaced the gasket and resealed the engine again at the timing cover again. They said there is now a technical service bulletin to look out for oil leaks at the timing cover so this is not an isolated incident. Hopefully it’s fixed for good... only time will tell!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can't find a TSB in regards to "look out for oil leaks at the timing cover".

I'm also not sure I've ever heard of putting dye in the oil in an attempt to find an oil leak. Is this common? Am I the only one that's never heard of this before? Dye in the A/C, yes but the engine oil?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Adding dye to the oil to find leaks using a UV light is very common, and has been a practice for years now. CCC - thanks for the update. Did they mention the TSB# ? I notice my 2016 has developed a minor leak and is beginning to damp the alternator..i need to find the source.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm also not sure I've ever heard of putting dye in the oil in an attempt to find an oil leak. Is this common? Am I the only one that's never heard of this before? Dye in the A/C, yes but the engine oil?
I didn't know about this either... A/C refrigerant - yes; engine oìl no...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Adding dye to the oil to find leaks using a UV light is very common, and has been a practice for years now. CCC - thanks for the update. Did they mention the TSB# ? I notice my 2016 has developed a minor leak and is beginning to damp the alternator..i need to find the source.
No I don’t think they mentioned a number just that there was a new TSB.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts