Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only happened once, but I've been totally paranoid ever since. I went to my buddies house to play poker, and when we went to leave, we discovered the windows of my car were all down. I guess I accidentally hit the button in my pocket or something. It hasn't happened since, but that might be because I've been more careful with my fob.

Anyways, if this were to happen in the winter when my car is covered with snow, the results would be disastrous. Is there any way that I could disable this feature for the winter, and then turn it back on for summer?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd be curious as well. Its happened to me twice at work. Once right before it was about to rain... fortunately one of my co-workers noticed and I ran out to close them.

I haven't looked for a solution yet, but at least you can take solace in the fact you're not the only one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Umm.. pretty sure this "feature" is programmed by the dealership.... For example.. say your FoB breaks.. you break it... its gonna cost like 90-100 bucks.. just to have the dealership PROGRAM the new one for you.. .that does NOT include the price for the plastic fob and key....

There are several other "features" that are dealership programmed like having your doors lock after 30 seconds or somethin like that... So i'm pretty sure they can "un-program" this feature... or reset the vehicle somehow.. and program everything else BUT that... *shrug*

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's only happened once, but I've been totally paranoid ever since. I went to my buddies house to play poker, and when we went to leave, we discovered the windows of my car were all down. I guess I accidentally hit the button in my pocket or something. It hasn't happened since, but that might be because I've been more careful with my fob.
[/b]
I'm curious, how far away were you from the car? I've found that this FOB - though I love the RFID technology - has a range that's much less than FOBs of other cars I've owned. Usually like 30ft max to open windows, typically more like 20ft.

I keep mine in my wallet all the time and would hate to think that if I sat down the windows could accidentally roll down! Sorry to hear about that, glad you caught it in time at least :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
From my desk I'm about 60ft away through a brick wall (/w windows). It may have happened while I was up and about, though the closest I could have gotten was about 40. I also have the flip key fob if it makes a difference.

Now I usually just pull the key out when I get to work and put it in my desk. I would be concerned about leaving it, but I can't exactly leave without the car keys ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I first got my car, the rear windows didn't work with the remote, and not at the drivers door, just at the rear window switches. The window buttons had to be "re-set" by holding them up for about 30 seconds. So I guess if you "un-set" the door switches, sacraficed the ability to roll down the windows from the drivers door, you might be able to get them all to not respond to the key fob....But then the drivers door might not roll down at all.

The auto down and vent feature, didn't work either for those wiindows. And I'm guessing the anti-pinch feature didn't work either, but I didn't try that out ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I usually just pull the key out when I get to work and put it in my desk. I would be concerned about leaving it, but I can't exactly leave without the car keys ;)
[/b]
Yup, that's what I've started doing, when I'm at work or at home, I take the key out of my pocket so I won't accidentally put the windows down.

When I first got my car, the rear windows didn't work with the remote, and not at the drivers door, just at the rear window switches. The window buttons had to be "re-set" by holding them up for about 30 seconds. So I guess if you "un-set" the door switches, sacraficed the ability to roll down the windows from the drivers door, you might be able to get them all to not respond to the key fob....But then the drivers door might not roll down at all.

The auto down and vent feature, didn't work either for those wiindows. And I'm guessing the anti-pinch feature didn't work either, but I didn't try that out ;)
[/b]
Ah ha! Disconnecting the battery will de-program the windows, I will test this to make sure the the remote cannot control them and I think this will solve the problem. Obviously it's not ideal since I won't be able to control the windows even from the driver's seat, but I'll hardly ever need to put my windows down during winter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Obviously it's not ideal since I won't be able to control the windows even from the driver's seat, but I'll hardly ever need to put my windows down during winter.
[/b]
This reminds me of the time I was driving in heavy rain, temp in the upper 30's and the electrical system in the RSX shorted out blowing the main fuse. As soon as the car shut off (including the wipers) the windows fogged instantly. I was traveling 45 MPH in traffic and couldn't see outside the car. When I realized I couldn't roll down the window I got a hell of a scare. No collision, but after I stopped I noticed there was no shoulder 200 feet back from where I pulled off...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
this has happened on my speed 6 twice now and im the same deal i dont keep the keys in my pocket

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
this has happened on my speed 6 twice now and im the same deal i dont keep the keys in my pocket
[/b]
the manual has this information with out you disconnecting your battery.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Once more in english?
[/b]

ok,

If you look in the OWNERS MANUAL, i am not sure what page but it is there. It will tell you how to program and i think how to UNPROGRAM your windows

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I looked through the manual and I didnt see anything like this.
[/b]
did you find the page on how to program your windows? if so then i think it is a couple of pages down. I only read it once so i might be mistaken. I will look myself tonight and let know what i find IF i find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts