Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides getting lucky and finding someone with a trashed 6, is there any way to order a new auto HVAC system? Or even a functioning used one? I'm pretty sure you can through a dealer, but that might be expensive.

Reason I'm asking, is because I want to mold my own HU with an in-dash LCD screen, and since I have the manual HVAC unit, I cannot relocate it. With HVAC on dash, the max screen size is 3.5" high give or take. That's way too small.

If I were able to get one, would I have to do any rewiring?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmm, I've read that there are sensors and whatnot that aren't installed on the non-auto 6. I think it'd be quite an undertaking to switch it to the auto controls. You sure there's no way to relocate the manual controls?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I've read that there are sensors and whatnot that aren't installed on the non-auto 6. I think it'd be quite an undertaking to switch it to the auto controls. You sure there's no way to relocate the manual controls? [/b]
Nope. Have you ever seen the circuitry behind the HU? It's a mess. EVERYTHING is connected. The Yield/Four-Signal button to the CD eject button to the lights that light up the HVAC buttons. They're all connected to the same circuit board.

One way I guess it could work is with the Metra Dashkit, since they redid the circuitry and separated everything neatly. Problem is: $150 :( But with the Metrakit, I just can relocate the yield and small hvac buttons somewhere else and mold in a 7" LCD screen (why I want to relocate the HVAC controls).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts