Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was disappointed when i saw the fake tips in the bumper with a normal pipe hanging in the middle so far all i see for aftermarket catback is single pipe i want to know if there is an exhaust that looks almost identical to the fake tips in the bumper i dont want to get a POS tip to addon i would like a full catback to start my mods on the MS6 downpipe and high flow cat would be nice if they all worked well together i dont want that bumble bee in a tin can sound from all the hondas with tips runing around

And before you reply with Use the search engine im not going to for you dont waste your time im only asking if someone may know of a full exhaust with that look preferably some one who has it on ther car i dont need a smarts asses comment :)

Its late blah to forum grammer and proper sentences

·
Registered
363 Posts
CP-E is the only company that I know of that is making a full kit. Downpipe with or without highflow cat. They only have a single outlet exhaust with some pretty good HP gains and sound gains. ( alot louder) Magnaflow makes a catback that is dual outlet with some nice tips. The tips have been know to cause melting of the lower bumper. The sound is quite and the hp gains are not great. If this helps at all, Its just what ive learned from reading different topics. My $.02

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate the 2 cents definately not messing with something that will melt the bumper if i get the car inspected till 2012 i could go to my exhaust ppl and have them make a custom catback what do i definately need to keep of the stock exhaust? without worrying about emissions just performance and a good deep sound

·
Registered
967 Posts
i appreciate the 2 cents definately not messing with something that will melt the bumper if i get the car inspected till 2012 i could go to my exhaust ppl and have them make a custom catback what do i definately need to keep of the stock exhaust? without worrying about emissions just performance and a good deep sound
[/b]
There is one guy on here who paid about $600 to get a fully custom job done. I think that's your only solution for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is one guy on here who paid about $600 to get a fully custom job done. I think that's your only solution for now.
[/b]
$600 isnt too bad did he post a sound clip or Pics?

·
Registered
967 Posts
$600 isnt too bad did he post a sound clip or Pics?
[/b]
True, $600 for a custom job is actually a super price. It was a very nice job too! I believe it has 3" piping all the way back. I don't remember hearing sound clips, but there were definitely pictures in his post. If you went custom you could vary the sound by the muffler you choose.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Ok here is the problem....

What happens when you so this (and almost everyone asks)... lets replace the "fake" exhaust tips with real ones...

Well apparently Mazda was the only one thinking, because those "fake" exhaust tips offer heat resistance from the bumper melting....

This owner here DID NOT EVEN FILL IN THE WHOLE TIP and look what happened to his car...

Here is the whole thread....

Think about what would happen if you replaced the WHOLE thing, I would venture that your bumper would be MELTED after a few mere enthusiastic drives....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok here is the problem....

What happens when you so this (and almost everyone asks)... lets replace the "fake" exhaust tips with real ones...

Well apparently Mazda was the only one thinking, because those "fake" exhaust tips offer heat resistance from the bumper melting....

This owner here DID NOT EVEN FILL IN THE WHOLE TIP and look what happened to his car...

Here is the whole thread....

Think about what would happen if you replaced the WHOLE thing, I would venture that your bumper would be MELTED after a few mere enthusiastic drives....
[/b]
is the problem that he didnt put the tip far enough out the bumper and the hot exhaust was actually blowing on the plastic rather than just the surrounding heat melting it?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'll take my chances with the fake tips -- they don't look that bad anyways.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
is the problem that he didnt put the tip far enough out the bumper and the hot exhaust was actually blowing on the plastic rather than just the surrounding heat melting it?
[/b]
It melted because the pipe itself gets to some insane temperatures....

Go drive the car around and put your hand on the "true" exhaust pipe, and let me know if you want that sitting on your PLASTIC bumper...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"The melting occured when I had no tip at all on the car right ( after I installed the CPE Catback)...it CPE pipe is about 3 inches shy of the bumper and was blowing hot exhaust on the plastic...that's how the melting happened."

so basically the pipe wasnt venting far enough out the back of the bumper causing melting so say the tips are extending 3 inches from the plastic and maybe 1/2-1 inch clearance from the plastic should be Ok?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Should be, but the rubber exhaust hangers leave lots of room for swaying... one touch to the plastic is like sticking your hand inside an oven...

As I said, I don't recommend fully replacing them at all, best bet is some form of a cutout....

·
Registered
127 Posts
why did mazda choose this bumper/exhaust combo for the ms6?

seems like the mazda6 wasn't having any bumper melting issues, and its exhaust tips are for real

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's much more aggressive, which is a nice thing for this car.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Probably lower EGT's with the naturally aspirated 6's, but I don't know if it would be to any meaningful degree (pun intended). Also, there are also chrome covers over the actual pipe...just a different size, and bolted to the exhaust as opposed to anchored in the bumper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts