Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've been driving my MS6 for a few months, I'm know I'm not alone in noticing that I don't get the same feeling of acceleration I used to get when stepping on the gas. (Actually, I know this because I was reading some posts about it on the other MS6 forum.) This has led me to wonder whether I need to complain to the dealer or enter a 12-step program?

Wikipedia: "Addiction is often characterized by a craving for more of the drug or behavior, increased physiological tolerance to exposure, and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of the stimulus."

I fear that I am suffering from acceleration addiction. Right now I'm just thinking I gotta have a boost gauge, to see whether the MS6 is actually giving me the acceleration fix it is supposed to, the full amount my dealer (?!) promised I would get. But what's next, robbing convenience stores for the money to buy a better BOV, a less restrictive exhaust system, a cold air intake? Where will it end? Is the Speed6 a "gateway" vehicle leading me to harder and harder accelerating vehicles? Will my addiction eventually cause me to bankrupt my family in order to buy a Ferrari? :goon:

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the first step to recovery is to acknowledge my addiction problem and stop blaming the drug, I mean the MS6. After all, other MS6's with the same number of miles as mine are turning in 13.7 second quarter miles in the hands of amateur drivers. I suspect that it is not the MS6 that has changed, I have! (I'm still going to get a boost gauge, though, just to make sure . . . . :yesnod: )

·
Registered
922 Posts
sean... you got the need for speed my man.... keep your eyes peeled for mods and get going... you new speed6 owners need to first find out the limits of the stock vehicle (max boost for turbo, fuel system limits, block capabilities) IFFFF mazda beefed this motor up, it's going to be very inexpensive to go fast with this car... i mean less than a grand to get into the 12's.. hopefully mazda follows in the footsteps of mitsubishi and dodge in terms of their turbo 4 bangers...

i'm looking forward to this... i wouldn't rule out getting a speed6 once the 6i is paid down a little bit more...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
well seeing as mazda did replace the crankshaft and rods with forged counterparts, i believe this engine has some big potential. Also, there has to be something we can do about the DISI, hopefully cp-e can come out with some software that fully takes advantage of direct injection!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Now that I've been driving my MS6 for a few months, I'm know I'm not alone in noticing that I don't get the same feeling of acceleration I used to get when stepping on the gas. (Actually, I know this because I was reading some posts about it on the other MS6 forum.) This has led me to wonder whether I need to complain to the dealer or enter a 12-step program?

Wikipedia: "Addiction is often characterized by a craving for more of the drug or behavior, increased physiological tolerance to exposure, and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of the stimulus."

I fear that I am suffering from acceleration addiction. Right now I'm just thinking I gotta have a boost gauge, to see whether the MS6 is actually giving me the acceleration fix it is supposed to, the full amount my dealer (?!) promised I would get. But what's next, robbing convenience stores for the money to buy a better BOV, a less restrictive exhaust system, a cold air intake? Where will it end? Is the Speed6 a "gateway" vehicle leading me to harder and harder accelerating vehicles? Will my addiction eventually cause me to bankrupt my family in order to buy a Ferrari? :goon:

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the first step to recovery is to acknowledge my addiction problem and stop blaming the drug, I mean the MS6. After all, other MS6's with the same number of miles as mine are turning in 13.7 second quarter miles in the hands of amateur drivers. I suspect that it is not the MS6 that has changed, I have! (I'm still going to get a boost gauge, though, just to make sure . . . . :yesnod: )
[/b]
Yup, you have become addicted and you are about to become a modaholic....and this forum will enable your addiction....welcome fellow addict ;)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Remember man, as of now we don't have the flow to even touch the capabilites of the DISI... i mean any speed6 can tell you that when they clean their bumper exhaust tips...

·
Registered
490 Posts
seanw.
Seek HELP :huh:
This will lead to brok-in sentancees and disfunckionl languge. Ist beta un das vatka.
So, with therapy and a little time. You shall see that an addiction is nothing more than our id looking for a reason to be accepted.
Between the Speed6 and your children, you will have no sanity within the next few years, as it is. So go forth and MS6!!! :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts

[/b]

take it to the track from time to time so you know its not slower...you're just used to it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
After 3 kids, the MSP, and now the MS6 I am fully insane and FULLY boost-addicted. It is the minimal requirement for any further automotive acquisitions. Boost addiction and mod-mania are two disorders that have changed my life forever. However, I am at peace with my illness and I have NO intention of seeking a cure. I'll happily fritter away what $$ I have to fuel this dependency.

Boostin' till I'm broke,
R

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It is definitely an illness... i've never owned a car this responsive and quick. Sometimes when getting on the highway if you shift just right, it feels like you are going through a buck rogers time warp. It is close to perfect (for the money) and since it's so close, I just want to mod it to go faster and faster. It felt even more intense when filled with VP Racing Fuel - 100 octane. At 5000 miles i intended to switch to Royal purple synthetic which claims to add 10 hp.

http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html

Test drove the evo 9 and I dont think we are missing out on anything except a bumpy ride and ugly styling.

·
Registered
102 Posts
...I fear that I am suffering from acceleration addiction. Right now I'm just thinking I gotta have a boost
... Will my addiction eventually cause me to bankrupt my family in order to buy a Ferrari? :goon:
[/b]
LOL

Nah, just go out and buy a shifter cart for about $3500 and get yer fix!

I did and all I can do is :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey man, if you really want an acceleration fix, buy any decent sportbike. The Suzuki Hayabusa should fit the bill! 0-60 in 2.5 sec, quarter mile in the nines.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It is definitely an illness... i've never owned a car this responsive and quick. Sometimes when getting on the highway if you shift just right, it feels like you are going through a buck rogers time warp. It is close to perfect (for the money) and since it's so close, I just want to mod it to go faster and faster....
[/b]
I can understand the enthusiasm, and I'm in no way trying to be a jerk or downplay what you're saying (it is after all just a matter of perspective), but my '90 mustang with somewhat basic and cheap mods (twisted flow heads, exhaust, intake, 355 gear) would smoke this car in responsiveness and quickness. I'm still getting used to the fact that when i floor the throttle, I have to wait for the car to really get going. Don't get me wrong, it gets there, but it does seems to ease into what it's doing. This is my first turbo car and I am really loving what it has to offer for what it is, but I don't feel it substitutes for displacement in the responsiveness category. I have to be in the appropriate gear (minus on the freeway where even 6th really is impressive for what this car is) to get a really "good" response. Larger displacement engines don't really care as much what gear your in once you're going. And if you do drop a gear, they just crush forward. The speed6 will crush forward droping a gear, but you almost have to speed shift going down a gear to get the same experience and I'm not sure this tranny will handle that kind of abuse for very long (although I'm just speculating, I do tend to baby this car in that respect).

I guess what I'm getting at is that it is really an illness, and you do get used to what you are driving. There is no cure for the go fast bug. I really love this car, and I'm sure this thing with the help of the (hopefully) future aftermarket will really be able to scream, but I'm afraid I will need to go back to a larger displacement engine in the future to get the same "go now!" type feeling out of the gas pedal.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm definately feeling the boost bug myself. I'm always enjoying getting the car up to speeds I shouldnt in places I shouldnt but its just fantastic to feel that acceleration. So many mods I want to do. I'd love to see 400 lbs/ft of torque from the speed6.

If I had the money though, I'd just get a nice bike too, as was suggested above. Or my current favourite fantasy car... the ariel atom.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I'm hooked on the speed. Need more now. :) I take mine to the track and beat up on other fast cars *cough* Altima's/Accord's/WRX's/Jetta's/Stangs:)

·
Registered
870 Posts
The speed6 will crush forward droping a gear, but you almost have to speed shift going down a gear to get the same experience and I'm not sure this tranny will handle that kind of abuse for very long (although I'm just speculating, I do tend to baby this car in that respect).
[/b]
If the regular 6 is any indication I think we'll be fine. I drove my 6s pretty hard and would constantly downshift from 5th to 3rd on the highway. At about 70-75mph. Never had a problem with the tranny. Of course I did needed a new clutch at about 50k miles. But hey, that was expected.

I don't ever do that kind of downshifting in the speed 6 because there is not need to. The power isn't in the higher rpm's. And with 6th gears when I downshift into 4th it doesn't fell as harsh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
15 Participants
btf
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing