Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where I heard it but i thought someone said that having a remote starter is bad for the car. I don't know much about this issue. Can anyone give me some feedback?

I live in NY and have a 05 6 ATX and leather seats. It gets cold in the winter and would love to be able to start the car in the morn and warm it up instead of sitting in the cold car waiting for it to warm up. So I'm looking to get one installed.

BTW is this the right section to post this?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
I have a remote start on my 03 and works fine. Havent failed me yet. I am in NY and I understand the cold days! LOL

I also have a remote start in my tribute. Now that one malfunctioned, but thankfully was under Mazda warranty :p. The malfunction did affect the truck though, it was difficult to start up at times before the replacement of the "brain" of the alarm/remote start. Maybe that is what they are talking about, when being "bad" for the car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a remote start on my 03 and works fine. Havent failed me yet. I am in NY and I understand the cold days! LOL

I also have a remote start in my tribute. Now that one malfunctioned, but thankfully was under Mazda warranty :p. The malfunction did affect the truck though, it was difficult to start up at times before the replacement of the "brain" of the alarm/remote start. Maybe that is what they are talking about, when being "bad" for the car?
[/b]
I was wondering it the remote start was bad for the car's starter. At least I think that's what I had heard.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Well I am not sure if that is true. But I only use the remote start in the morning and after work, during the week and on weekends, I use the Tribute, so the 6 isnt used as much.

Another member I know has a remote start too on his 6 and he has had no problems and his is a daily driver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am not sure if that is true. But I only use the remote start in the morning and after work, during the week and on weekends, I use the Tribute, so the 6 isnt used as much.

Another member I know has a remote start too on his 6 and he has had no problems and his is a daily driver.
[/b]
Do you think I should go though the dealer or maybe try an aftermarket starter. The dealer's price might be more expensive but I don't want to take a chance having my warranty voided. Anyone know the running rate for the remote starter installed by Mazda?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
For the 6 which has an aftermarket remote and I have no regrets. We went for the remote start on the Tribute with Mazda because they gave us a little break on it and it would be included in the price of the purchase of the Tribute at the time.

So the answer is pretty much up to you. If you feel more comfortable in having Mazda cover the alarm in case it affects the 6, then go for it, you'll be able to sleep :p.

I personally would go around and price out the remote start around your area. I had my aftermarket remote start installed at Speedworld in Queens, I forget which street, but its a major one, you can googlemap it. If you do go to Speedworld, let me know, I have a contact there that can help you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
510 Posts
The only problem with remote starting is it normally leads to unecessary amounts of increased idling. Idling is what is bad for your car.

When you let your car idle, all the fuel does not get burned off. the excess fuel that enters the combustion chamber but does not get ignited will seep into the oil and dilute into the oil. This causes the oil to start shearing and lose its ability to protect your motor. If you do this, you will want to make sure you change oil at least every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
remote starts for MTX... bad huh?

cause my driveway is a steep incline and id hate to leave the ebrake off just because i want to remote start my car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem with remote starting is it normally leads to unecessary amounts of increased idling. Idling is what is bad for your car.

When you let your car idle, all the fuel does not get burned off. the excess fuel that enters the combustion chamber but does not get ignited will seep into the oil and dilute into the oil. This causes the oil to start shearing and lose its ability to protect your motor. If you do this, you will want to make sure you change oil at least every 5000 miles.
[/b]
If idling is bad for the car then what is the proper way of warming up a car. It may seem like a dumb question but it seems like idling is the only way.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
From experience with having 2 different ones installed in my Exploder when I lived in Alaska for 3 1/2 years, it's the best investment for winter operations. New York temperatures I'm very sure won't hit lows near the single digits very often so your car running at idle will be fine. Not to mention it will also warm up a whole lot quicker being that it isn't as cold once again. Purchase one with a timer of no more than 20-30 minutes of running time in case you forget you left it running, and you'll be fine. Always weigh out your options, and look into purchasing one with an integrated alarm system, you'll save money having both run off the same remote. I don't reccommend the dealer, but it's up to you not me.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've had the OEM RS for a couple years, has a 10 or 15 minute timer, not enough to get it all the way up to operating temp, but better than not warming up at all. self installed too

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,571 Posts
I was going to get remote start on my 06, but I haven't done so yet. Someone actually told me the remote start's bad for a car as well, but I can't see how. Driving with an engine that's still cold is more harmful for the car, one would think.

You could always start the car before getting ready in the AM, lock it with the spare key, then just get in and go when you're ready. I've been doing that myself these past few cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
remote starts for MTX... bad huh?

cause my driveway is a steep incline and id hate to leave the ebrake off just because i want to remote start my car
[/b]
Yep, installers do not want that liability, so most places do not install in MTX cars for one those reasons. But you can always install it yourself!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to get remote start on my 06, but I haven't done so yet. Someone actually told me the remote start's bad for a car as well, but I can't see how. Driving with an engine that's still cold is more harmful for the car, one would think.

You could always start the car before getting ready in the AM, lock it with the spare key, then just get in and go when you're ready. I've been doing that myself these past few cold mornings.
[/b]
I have thought about doing this but considering I live on the 2nd floor and don't want to get out of bed until I have to, it seem like the Remote Start is a good idea. Besides the remote start is also more for convenience so I wouldn't have to do that. Wish I was more motivated like you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If idling is bad for the car then what is the proper way of warming up a car. It may seem like a dumb question but it seems like idling is the only way.
[/b]
Start your car, wait 1-2 minutes tops, then drive slowly and gently for the first 5-10 minutes until the car is fully warm. Letting your car idle until the engine is completely warm is a really bad idea. The reason being is that the engine gets warm because it is the only part moving. Your transmission is not getting warm at the same pace, so even though your car seems fully warmed up, it's not actually and you risk doing damage if you drive too hard just because you warmed up the car for too long. Idling is also bad for the environment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Start your car, wait 1-2 minutes tops, then drive slowly and gently for the first 5-10 minutes until the car is fully warm. Letting your car idle until the engine is completely warm is a really bad idea. The reason being is that the engine gets warm because it is the only part moving. Your transmission is not getting warm at the same pace, so even though your car seems fully warmed up, it's not actually and you risk doing damage if you drive too hard just because you warmed up the car for too long. Idling is also bad for the environment.
[/b]
+1

As noted above modern engines only need about 30 seconds to a minute to warm up before putting it in gear. Back in the day, especially with carbuerated cars, it took awhile to get the engine running in a stable fashion. But modern cars are designed to get up and go. Take it easy during the first 10-20 minutes and allow the oil and transmission fluid to circulate before revving over 3000 rpm.

Excessive idling is definitely bad for the longevity of the engine regardless of your frequency of oil changes. Diesels are another story, but keep in mind that every minute your car is running and not moving, you are getting 0 MPG. So, you'll definitely pay for it at the pump.

My wife has an '03 Corolla with an aftermarket remote start (DEI "Valet" I think). It works just fine, but the key fobs are not as nice as the factory ones and don't have the same functions or range (i.e. you can't just unlock one door). You also need to defeat the security system which usually means that you sacrifice a key (and the functionality that goes with it). We bought it and had it installed by a shop that specializes in alarms, remote starters and stereo stuff. Definitely shop around if you're not going to DIY and go to a shop that has a good rep because they have to rip a lot of your car apart to do it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As noted above modern engines only need about 30 seconds to a minute to warm up before putting it in gear.
[/b]
I'd say closer to 2 minutes, 30 seconds may work better in a tropical climate like Hawaii.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts