Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By this, I mean:

Does the engine learn how you drive and adjust things (throttle tip in, etc) accordingly?

The reason I ask is that after almost two months, I have noticed that in the last few weeks since I finished my move, my throttle response isnt what it used to be. I dont really have any turbo lag or anything, and the power is still there, but its not as instantaneous as I was used to when I first bought it.

I moved closer to the city, and therefore do a lot more lowspeed, light-to-light driving (work the pedals more). I wonder if the ECU just thinks thats the way I want to drive and adjusted.

If so, is there a ECU clear or something that can be done?

Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmm I think the ECU tunes itself when you reset it. My IS300 was like that. reset the ECU and drive it like you stole it. So the ECU will tune it more aggresive. Not sure if mazda does the same thing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
By this, I mean:

Does the engine learn how you drive and adjust things (throttle tip in, etc) accordingly?

The reason I ask is that after almost two months, I have noticed that in the last few weeks since I finished my move, my throttle response isnt what it used to be. I dont really have any turbo lag or anything, and the power is still there, but its not as instantaneous as I was used to when I first bought it.

I moved closer to the city, and therefore do a lot more lowspeed, light-to-light driving (work the pedals more). I wonder if the ECU just thinks thats the way I want to drive and adjusted.

If so, is there a ECU clear or something that can be done?

Thanks.
[/b]
Pretty much any car made recently will adapt its fuel trims to a person's driving style to try to maximize fuel economy. Some cars are more invasive than others.

While over at my mother's house one day she mentioned that her truck (chevy avalanche if it makes a difference to you) felt a little slow. I took it for a little test drive around the block and let me tell you that thing was a dog. I grabbed a wrench and disconnected the battery for a few minutes and took it out again. It was like it gained 20-30whp.

If it feels like it has a little less umph than it used to, just disconnect the battery and pump the brakes a few times. This will clear the "learned" fuel trims and go back to the stock tables. To keep it from happening again you just have to remember to romp on it every once in a while. You have to keep the ECU on its toes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts