Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Ford's Taurus v6 Durectec engine is a close cousin of Mazda 6's V6? My friend drives a 2002 Ford Taurus V6. I checked the manual and its a Duretec V6 engine. If so... does anyone know how long this engine been in the Taurus.

Does anyone know the reliability of Ford's Duretec in the Taurus??:sarc

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Is the Mazda6 V6 duretec engine...same as?

Alot of things are similar between the two, but if I am not mistaken, the Taurus LACKS the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) that the 6 has.

I believe the Jaguar X-type shares the same, if not extrodinarily similar engine, 3.0L DOHC 24-valve 230-ish BHP V6.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Yeah it's the same block just some different parts. I think FordMan is right the the Taurus doesn't have VVT.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

The block is the only similarity. From there on it's an all-new Mazda design.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is the Mazda6 V6 duretec engine...same as?'

The block and internals pretty much the same.....heads, cams, intake system, exhaust manifolds, and accesories that are bolted to it are different..

The Duratec engine is a very reliable engine and is also well designed. I beleive the first year the Taurus received the 3.0L Duratec was in 1996. Here are some other vehicles that use/used the Duratec engines:

Ford Contour 2.5L
Mercury Mystique 2.5L
Mercury Cougar 2.5L
Ford Taurus 3.0L
Mercury Sable 3.0L
Ford Escape 3.0L
Mazda Tribute 3.0L
Jaguar X-Type 2.5L and 3.0L
Jaguar S-Type 3.0L
Lincoln LS 3.0L

And of course the mother of all Duratec engines...hehhehe.... The Aston Martin 6.0L V12 engine that is in the Vanquish...... It isnt as simple as this, but basically, it is two 3.0L Duratecs fused together. The same Cosworth casting process and I would bet alot of money on it that the rods and the pistons are the exact same part numbers out of a 3.0L Taurus!!!!! but who knows....

Nikolas

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Dont forget the Noble M12, previously powered by the TT 2.5L @ a whopping 310HP. Now has the TT 3.0L @ 340HP!! WOW!

·
Registered
168 Posts

There's a Taurus 3.0l in my brother's contour as of this past weekend...With the SVT heads and cams, the intake and exhaust manifold porting, and all the other goodies we put on it, it outta be pretty fast. We hoping for around 230-240 fwhp :) .

·
Registered
577 Posts

I see you guys used the 3.0L intake manifold... What is your plan for the hood? I was under the impression that the 3.0L UIM wouldnt let the hood close....

Nikolas

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecTour

There's a Taurus 3.0l in my brother's contour as of this past weekend...With the SVT heads and cams, the intake and exhaust manifold porting, and all the other goodies we put on it, it outta be pretty fast.  We hoping for around 230-240 fwhp :) .[/b]
Hey, my brother has the same exact style contour! ('95 SE + champagne) And its just sitting in the driveway collecting dust because the tranny went before the winter came. Oh me oh my, I really wish we could do that, but we don't have the facilities (and probably not enought technical know-how) to do. He's also not going to shell 3-4K for someone else to do it, that's for sure. Oh well.

What's his name on the Contour.org forums? I haven't seen that picture over there. I was also wondering about the intake as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by DuratecPerformance  I see you guys used the 3.0L intake manifold... What is your plan for the hood?  I was under the impression that the 3.0L UIM wouldnt let the hood close....[/b]
We're pluging the original IAC holes and mounting it remote...it's the only thing that interferes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thanks for the input duratec performance... i am really impressed:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sooo, will the Taurus short block bolt up to the 6 manual trans? I have a wagon that I got cheap and I may be using it as a track - race car in the future and I'd like to have cheaper options on the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts