Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My real estate class begins soon and I will be a real estate salesperson shortly. With real estate comes great advantages, such as the ability to write off things. One thing interests me in particular, the Mazda6. I was told that I could lease a Mazda6 and write the payments etc. off, something I apparently couldn't do with buying outright. In real estate, its all about traveling though, which sort of nixes the leasing idea. I need a four door sedan because I have to cart people around to different houses, so it needs to be comfortable in all parts of the car. I've heard the 6 has great rear seats as well as front seats. A huge plus imo. So, when I do finally go out and get a car, should I be considering the Mazda6 or am I in the wrong division? Also, does anyone know anything about writing off leases etc? I'd probably buy the car at the end of the lease anyway, but I want it to continue running after 125,000 miles ya know? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Is the Mazda6 right for me?

Mmm..... nah. I'd say it's all wrong for you.

Unless you're in easter NYS, then it's ok.

But if you're anywhere near me, I think you should let me be one of a handful of 6 owners. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Actually, I am in eastern NYS. About an hour and a half or so, give or take a few minutes/mph from NYC. I ahve only seen one other 6 on the road and it didn't even have the sports grille. And it was speed yellow. I'm going steel gray. Do you still think its all wrong for me? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

A cool episode:

A little while ago, a real estate salesperson (the owner of that agency, actually) was at the house across the street. My neighbours told me that when he thought noone saw him, he came across the street and studied my 6 carefully.

Another day he did it again!!!

And you know what? He has a 7-series BMW... :)

I think the 6 is quite right for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Gecko_2k2,

IMO the Mazda6 is not the right car for that of real-estate:

- no rear seat headrests (just two useless humps)
- the car itself is smaller than it's midsize competitors (I don't think you want to be that cozy with somewhat strangers)
- harsher & less refined than midsize competitors (enthusiasts like us may like it, your passengers won't)

The Mazda6 is an awesome car, but I don't think it's that great for this purpose.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Is the Mazda6 right for me?'

Originally posted by wongpres

Gecko_2k2,

IMO the Mazda6 is not the right car for that of real-estate:

- no rear seat headrests (just two useless humps)
- the car itself is smaller than it's midsize competitors (I don't think you want to be that cozy with somewhat strangers)
- harsher & less refined than midsize competitors (enthusiasts like us may like it, your passengers won't)

The Mazda6 is an awesome car, but I don't think it's that great for this purpose.[/b]
About the two rear headrests, its not that big of a deal. I mean, it is, but I'd get side air bags anyway and I wouldn't want to go to another car purely for the reason of having rear headrests.

Smaller? Just out of curiosity, do you put your seat far back or is it really small? I know real estate people who drive Corollas and do well.

Harsh eh? :( My current car vibrates and shakes vigorously at 55 mph so I'm sure the Mazda6 can't be that bad. ;)

My biggest concerns with real estate are whether to lease, knowing I may end up putting more than 12,000 miles per year on it, or to buy it outright. The whole write off factor is killing me.

My other biggest concern is reliability. Mazdas, according to general consensus, are a hit or miss. That can't be had in real estate. I will need the car to work.

Besides, at the end of the day, I am the one who is going to be driving the car, not my clients. I know it sounds like I am answering my own question but I want them to at least have a comfortable and enjoyable ride. If they choose not to, they can always go in their own car. I'm not going to go buy a 300M because it has big seats and leather everywhere, just to please ye ol' clients.

In case no one noticed yet, I haven't test driven the 6 yet, simply because I want to go test driving when I have secured financing instead of waiting and wasting the salesperson's time.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Well I mentioned the rear headrests because in your case there will definitely be people in the rear seats all the time, and in your profession, you want them to be comfortable. The headrests in the NA Mazda6 are completely useless because they're not tall enough to offer any support (and I'm just 5'8).

I mentioned smaller because it's smaller than it's competitors (Accord, Camry, Altima). If you know real estate agents in Corollas (and size isn't a problem for them); then size isn't an issue.

Again, I'm not turning you away from the 6 (I love this car and is my number 1 in this class); but I can't help but think that something like an Altima would be more suitable in this situation.

BTW, most real-estate agents I know here drive Lexus's, Jag's, and Benz's

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm just starting out.. Once I get on my feet, I'll be driving a BMW M3 or something. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You want them to be comfortable, yes, but driving a luxury car makes them think "we have to pay for this...". No good. Go for the 6! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts

Don't get an Altima if you want reliability. I've heard some real horror stories... I'll give you more info if your interested.

As far as the ride on the 6 being 'harsh'.. i disagree. Our cars are a lot smoother, quieter and more refined than the majority of the cars out there.. the problem is we are comparing them to cars that are either built for a different purpose (Accords, Camrys) or built for the same purpose but cost much more (BMWs, etc.)

I work in the sales division of a major engineering firm, all I do is drive around taking clients out, and every single person I've driven with compliments the car...

BTW I am on a lease.. if you're worried about monthly payments then the lease is the way to go. You can pay to add more miles beforehand and it won't be too horrible on the bottom line.
Also when you add miles to the car beforehand, it lowers your residual at the end and when the lease ends it'll cost you significantly less to buy the car (and then sell it to one of your very impressed clients for a few grand in profit) :p

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Altima horror stories.. Details! :D

Thanks. You have reaffirmed my decision to get the 6. Now all I need to do is take the course and hopefully I will have a 6 on lease before the summer is out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Replying to Topic 'I

They have a forum with a section devoted to Common problems with 02-03 altimas
(scroll down)

Cars not starting, cars shutting down on the highway, panels falling off, computers going wacky, leather cracking, cars dying becuase there's no oil in the engine a few days after an oil change... etc.

It seems that 95% of them work beautifully and the other 5% are a nightmare..

Even if you go to edmunds or msn or any site with consumer reviews, you'll see a whole bunch of 9/10s, 10/10s, and there's ALWAYS a few with 0/10 or 1/10 because those are the unlucky bastards the got the lemons.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Is the Mazda6 right for me?'

If you will be ferrying people around, you need something a bit more luxurious and classy IMO. If I were you, I would go with the Accord EX V6 or the Altima 3.5 SE (get black interior as it hides the cheapiness).

Both vehicles have more interior room than the 6, especially the Altima. The Altima doesn't have as many problems as is claimed around here, especially not the 3.5 SE version. The back seat in the 6 is rather tight. I was ferrying around 3 people. They are ranging from 5-11", to 6-"1 in height. I looked back and the two back there seemed a bit cramped in the leg area. And the ride isn't exactly lexus-like, since it is Sport sedan.

But don't let interior size be your only factor. I see real estate agents in Honda Civics ferrying people around. So if you personally like the 6, go for it!

Oh, and BTW, leasing a Mazda6 is a bad deal. I had a dealer quote me a 3 year lease for a Mazda 6s with Bose and Sport Package. With no money down, the cost was $465 a month, including property taxes and sales tax. I financed and now pay $370 a month for 5 years, with no money down. I pay property taxes directly to the city, but I own the vehicle and can do what I wish to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reading Topic: Is th

I think that depends on interest rates and where you can find the financing..

It saves me about 100 bucks a month to lease w/ no money down (30,000 km = ~19000 miles/year) over 4 years rather than finance over 5 years

edit: its a GS w/ a 4 cyl and sport package... (thats a 6i w/ sport package in the US i think)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts