Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been considering trading or selling my 6. It just doesn't have the performance that I want. It's the 2.5 with Manual transmission.
This engine feels very muted. It's kinda underpowered but not too bad.
I've read it's 0-60 times are 7.8 seconds with the manual and 15.9 in the 1/4...

I don't think that and SRI and exhaust would shave more than 2 tenths off either number...

Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Youre not gonna get crazy power out of the 2.5l. the mazda 6 isn't a "sports car" you can easily mod, plus there is not a big aftermarket for parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya FI is out. I would only want to spend $1k tops.
I have seen slate6's car... Lots of mods for an automatic... I'd imagine he has shaved a half second off of his 0-60 and 1/4 mile times... I'd like to see a timeslip

It's surprising how much quicker an iLX is with only 30 more hp compared to my car

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Save you're money and put a down payment on something with more power from jump or save you're money and go FI.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you're looking for power it has to be FI. other than that you're not gonna get a whole lot. Also the ilx is another class of vehicle. It is significantly smaller and most likely lighter. However its way too expensive for what it is. You could probably get the mazda6 v6 for the same price of the ilx.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
you bought the wrong car, either test drive a v6 if wanna stay with the 6 or get a different vehicle. gl

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just wait for the 2.2L turbo diesel 6! I may just have to trade up for it, but I'm digging the 2.5.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you bought the wrong car, either test drive a v6 if wanna stay with the 6 or get a different vehicle. gl
I would have bought the V6 but it only came with the auto tragic transmission. I just really wish this 2.5 had the power of the 2.4 in the iLX

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
@Slate6 is probably the most engine modded 2.5 on the forum. As far as power you will get some from intake/header/exhaust but a lot more if you go FI.
Thanks @xkreedx for the mention. Yeah the 6 2.5l is not much on power. With all the mods ive done i do feel more pull, but not like YES!! lol. My 0-60 time was like mid Nines with my slush o matic. I posted it on youtube, but took it down cause...it sucked lol. I did a 0-60 time after the header i put on and the best time i got was 8.2 something on my torque app.

Pretty much the 6 is "all show no go" lol. I recieved a throttle controller yesterday. Its supposed to help with lag that comes with slush o matic, will see about that lol. i will make a video of a 0-60 time after i put that on. Also recieved a Tredstone Honeycomb air straightner thanks to @Rainmens for the info. After really reading into it, it seems to really make sense on its purpose.

You can add Hp and shave times with a lot of mods on this car. But for the money and time, it doesnt seem to be worth it for the HP i would like to get. Its quick and faster than it was when i got, and im happy with that.

But i wont lie to you all, i have been contiplating on trading in my 6 for a speed3 or speed6. There is a couple of speed6's around were i live going for around 13 large with about 70 - 90,000 miles on them.

It all comes down to what you want. If you want a possibly "quick" car that looks really good with moar lower and rims, then the 2nd gen is great. But if you want lots of Power! and really good looks just stock, then its off to the speeds!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm going to order a few parts.....Corksport SRI for starters and see how it goes from there. Second Cat-delete around the same time.

Is anyone making an actual cat-back system for these cars? The factory piping looks already large enough ...appears to be 2.25"...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There is no wxhaust systems. Its all custom. An it is 2.25 like u said

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
376 Posts
the other day on my way home from school, a girl from my class had a v6 mustang and we did a little drag race off a red light. i wasnt expecting to even keep up, but from 0-60 or 70 we were head to head. the funny thing about it is that she wanted to switch cars afterwards, but i said no haha. but yeah, the 2.5L or ANY 2nd Gen for that matter is not build to have large amounts of power. my suggestion is, if you can afford a second car go ahead and buy your garage queen and have the 6 as your daily driver. i know thats what im going to do. GL and keep us updated on ur descision.

On a side note. I love my car, i dont think i will ever get rid of it. hopefully it stays with me long enough for me to pass it down to a future son, or daughter because i just think its such a great car that is often overlooked by people who think Honda and Toyota are the only reliable cars out there. The road to 300,000 miles begins, and im barely at 49k hehehe

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
22 Participants
Slate6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing