Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping ATX owners on this forum can help me out with some research I'm doing regarding the newer Aisin ATXs that Mazda's been using in all its platforms.

We're looking into getting a new Mazda (the 5) into the family, and so far the only thing holding me back is the issue Mazda has been having with their ATX's surrounding shift-shock. I'd personally be looking at MTX if the purchase was for myself, but I already drive the best Mazda in the line-up :).

Anyways, I know that shift-shock has been an issue with Mazda ATX's in the past. I myself used to own an '03 MPV with a 5-speed Jatco tranny. That tranny suffered from severe shift-shock from day #1 (the day I drove it off the dealership's lot). I owned that car for about 11 months and the whole time I was fighting with my dealer (and later with Mazda Canada) about the tranny. No one wanted to do anything more than a TCM flash, which didn't do much to fix the problem. So, I ended up trading the car.

MPVs were using Jatco trannies (and still do I belive) which was apparently was one of the reasons the shift-shock was happening. I know that Jatco ATXs were also being used in the 6 (pre-'05) and that many owners here have been complaining about shift-shock. I also know that after '05, Mazda stopped sourcing from Jatco and instead started using Aisin trannies.

I'm wondering:

1. Is shift-shock now a distant memory now that the trannies are sourced from Aisin?
2. If not, and shift shock is still an issue, how many Aisin-based trannies are currently suffering from it?
3. Does a tranny cooler really make a difference or is that just "hog-wash"?

Just trying to do some research on the Jatco vs. Aisin trannies. I've posted on the Mazda5 forum as well, but the community over there doesn't seem as technical as we are over here. I've also read on the Mazda3 forums that some Aisin trannies are still having shift-shock issues.

Some insight from 6 owners with the Aisin tranny would be appreciated.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems I may have had my facts mixed up a bit. Is it true that only the 6s models have the Aisin, and that the 6i models still use the Jatco?

If so, I guess I'd like to know if any 6s owners are having issues with the Aisin.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I dont think the 6i's use a Jatco. I believe its sourced from somewhere else. Albeit if they did have the 5sp Jatco on the 6i's I think the tranny would hold up fine since it can handle the power of the v6 with ease. I have yet to see the tranny cooler fixing the shift shock, I had the tranny ecu flashed, tranny flushed and im running an inline filter as well. I was contemplating the valvebody replacement from cp-e but I can't justify that until my warranty is toast... about 6months from now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have an 07 6i ATX and there is usually light shift shock wile the ATX is still cold. After about 5 minutes of driving shifts are very smooth with the exception of 1st to 2nd where there is a slight lag which can be annoying.

Not sure of the transmission type though it is a 5spd auto.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is the 06 6s and it shifts as smooth as a Caddy. When I have a passenger new to my vehicle they are suprised when they here the tranny is already in 3rd. They think 1st is a really long gear. hehe.

I will be at a meet this spring when the weather makes me feel like driving. AND WASHING THE CAR :p

I say you just go test drive one. Any dealer would be happy to help you out. Ask Art, I am sure he would love to put you into another Mazda. After all, you deserve it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts