Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bar came with no directions, and after the install i noticed what sounded like the bar bottoming out. The endlinks are tight, so all I can think of is maybe the bar is upside down.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You need to examine whether the bar is making contact with the 'spring cups' (lower control arms) when the rear suspension is unloaded. If there is contact, then the bar is probably upside down, and you had rubbing which is very bad.

Its very easy to orient the sway the wrong way because of the thickness....

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Are the arms angles up or down, the chassis brace is blocking the part we need to see.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Well you can see where it was hitting, the paint is chipped off your bar. Flipping it should solve your problem.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That should fix it .... note the vertical bias on the Progress bar end lug.

How did it affect handling, under/over/turn-in/comfort?

Also, how did it do regarding the three RB issues I noted in my post introducing the Progress 24:

1) lever arms too short, and twists lower link bushing
2) too thick at link holes, so threads don't fully engage solid part of link stud
3) bar end bends start too soon, and binds in pivot bushings

Based on pics, looks like 2 is better ... shows a free thread, and 3 is less of an issue. can't tell on issue 1.

note:

If bushing brackets have one plain hole and one slotted, should have both installed same way ... ie like slot-end down in your pic.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well... I'm an idiot, and I did have the bar upside down for a couple weeks. I have since flipped it and all is better now.

Honestly I don't feel anymore affect from turning the bar over, besides the car doesnt seem to bounce as low going over a bump anymore, and obviously no more bottoming out.

As far as the issues go with the Progress bar over the RB bar, I would say that #2 and #3 are definately fixed, and #1 is also fixed as near as i can tell.

Also, why is it important that the bushing brackets be facing the same way?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Also, why is it important that the bushing brackets be facing the same way?
[/b]
The single slot implies the bracket works on a range of oem bolt spacing. That means it is likely the bushing will not be centered between the oem mount holes. If this offset is not matched at both brackets, the bar will go on tilted to one side, relative to the car frame, due to one pivot center being higher than the other. This preloads the suspension with some lean ... not good.

"How did it affect handling, under/over/turn-in/comfort?"

Sorry, I meant after adding the Progress bar to a stock suspension, not after flipping it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That should fix it .... note the vertical bias on the Progress bar end lug.

How did it affect handling, under/over/turn-in/comfort?

Also, how did it do regarding the three RB issues I noted in my post introducing the Progress 24:

1) lever arms too short, and twists lower link bushing
2) too thick at link holes, so threads don't fully engage solid part of link stud
3) bar end bends start too soon, and binds in pivot bushings

Based on pics, looks like 2 is better ... shows a free thread, and 3 is less of an issue. can't tell on issue 1.

note:

If bushing brackets have one plain hole and one slotted, should have both installed same way ... ie like slot-end down in your pic.
[/b]
I have the progress 24mm bar. I noticed that one end seemed a hair long, the drivers side seemed to bind a bit on the lower control arm mount, I had to leave the bar disconnected from the bushing mount to get it in, then after I had the link installed I could bolt it back up at the pivot bushings. It was barely off, but seemed just a little off.

As for #2 and #3 I didn't notice any problems but also didn't know to look for them, but nothing seemed particularly out of place. Been a couple weeks now and I have had no knocking or squeeking, just like stock as far as comfort and noise.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Since when was 24mm > 27mm?
[/b]
Oops I read the description on the RB bar wrong. My bad. Then why would anyone buy the Progress bar for more money than the RB when the RB is thicker? And appearantly having fitment issues..? Well I guess I don't really care because I'm making my own bar out of chrome-moly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
13 Participants
Nealio
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing